Beginners and Beyond

I think this is ok, but what do you think? (Read 133 times)

happylily

Also, on most bibs I've received, the back of the bib offers a space for emergency information. Phone numbers can change between the time you register for the race and the moment you run it. When I had my stroke, they called the cell number that was on the back of the bib. Not the home number that I had stupidly given when I registered for the race 5 months earlier.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I'd do it. Just put your emergency contact info on the back of your bib and you'll be fine.

- Andrew

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I'd do it & wouldn't so much as think twice about it!  If someone close enough to you GAVE it to you, then it's all good.  Emergency contact info be damned.  If the pertinent folks know, then that's all that matters.

Besides, all the other stuff is just BS, imho.  Who cares.  We're not professional runners.

Randy

LRB

Just wear this and you will likely get an interview with the local news afterwards and a lifetime exemption to the race.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Just wear this and you will likely get an interview with the local news afterwards and a lifetime exemption to the race.

LMAO!

Redrum: Like I said, I am not racing this and like you said, we are not pros. My friend and I are in the same AG and if I do it my time could be around 4:30-5:00, slower than he would have run. I'm still waiting to hear from him but I just think it would be fun to be in a big race like that.

LRB

To each his own.  I gave my bib to a friend once but cut the chip out because I did not want his time (faster or not) registered to my name.

The race director got the last laugh though as whenever I type in that bib number on the race photographers website, I find that I am actually a 6 '4" tall white guy.

RSX

I think that it is okay. It actually happens a lot at 2 of our biggest races, Boston and Falmouth. I know at least 10 people on both sides of it (gave it up or worn the bib) Neither race allows a transfer of #'s and the runner usually looks at it as it will go to waste if no one steps in. I gave up a # for a sold out 5k, but neither Boston DNS # but am not above the rules. If I run 26.2 I want full credit though time, medal, etc.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's probably an odd position to take, but I think running as a bandit is preferable to running with someone else's number - and I'm not sure why I feel that way.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Baboon

delicate flower

It depends.  Are you faster or slower than your friend?  Are you going to bump me down a notch in the final AG standings?   If you're slower than him, it's all good.  Wink

Honestly though, I'd have no problem with this in a race of this size when you have no chance to place in an AG.  The emergency contact info could be an issue but they are odds I'd be willing to take.  I see a big difference between this and banditing.  Your bib has been paid for.

<3

MothAudio

It's probably an odd position to take, but I think running as a bandit is preferable to running with someone else's number - and I'm not sure why I feel that way.

Well, the obvious difference here is that one person is documented with doing something they did not do. While the bandit is stealing services from the race at least their performance is genuine. Whether intended or not both are a form of deception.

I honestly don't recall if I've ever used a bib that was registered to another runner or given mine to someone else. But I have bandited races. Many life long runners have bandited a race, even if they aren't quick or comfortable admitting to it. It's not something I encourage but ATST it wouldn't cause me to cast stones on you either.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

hugsy

Well, the obvious difference here is that one person is documented with doing something they did not do. While the bandit is stealing services from the race at least their performance is genuine. Whether intended or not both are a form of deception.

Not sure that banditing is deception. Deception would be making and wearing a bib for the race (I had a friend do that).

OP-I don't see a problem, just write your emergency into on the bib and enjoy the race.

Given that the bib was paid for and voluntarily transferred, and with the precautions above - removing the chip to avoid an official score, emergency info on the bib, and perhaps doing something to obscure part of the number so there's no photo trail - I would say this is a technical rules violation but not a moral dilemma.  You aren't stealing from the organizers, and in a crowd that big you aren't affecting anyone else's race.

I wouldn't do it, because I haven't done anything longer than a 10k and if I run 26.2 I damn well want credit for it.  Of course, if I turn into an ultra runner a few years down the road, I might change my opinion on that.

Will run for scenery.

Makes me want to go out and bandit a race.  Cause that's the sort of badass I am deep down inside

I think the main reason nobody does bib transfers anymore is just the inconvenience.  The race has their money already so there's no need to bother.  It's sad, given how hard many races are to get into these days.

I signed up for Big Sur (filled in 52 minutes....) and don't think I can do it.  So I'll prolly give my bib to someone.  Someone fast 

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Given that the bib was paid for and voluntarily transferred, and with the precautions above - removing the chip to avoid an official score, emergency info on the bib, and perhaps doing something to obscure part of the number so there's no photo trail - I would say this is a technical rules violation but not a moral dilemma.  You aren't stealing from the organizers, and in a crowd that big you aren't affecting anyone else's race.

I agree with this. The entry has been paid for and I find this a LOT less offensive than bandits providing you don't wind up with an AG award. That wouldn't be cool.

As far as the emergency contact info - that is a non-issue. I would really hope you and your friend would let the emergency contact know it was you running and not him in the rare case something did happen and they got a call. And as others have noted, just write your info on the back of the bib anyway.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If it's a rule violation, why do people find it technical or find reasons to break the rules?  If it's still a violation of the rules, it is a violation of the rules no matter how you try to explain it.

Damaris