Beginners and Beyond

I think this is ok, but what do you think? (Read 133 times)

If it's a rule violation, why do people find it technical or find reasons to break the rules?  If it's still a violation of the rules, it is a violation of the rules no matter how you try to explain it.

I don't think anyone is arguing it isn't a violation of a rule.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't think anyone is arguing it isn't a violation of a rule.

Oh, I agree.  I just find strange when people (not anyone specifically) try to find reasons why breaking the rules in this instance is OK.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

And this is what the LA Marathon says about bib transfers:

I am injured and/or cannot run the event (family commitment, work obligation, etc.). Can I get a refund, donate my entry or transfer my entry to someone else?
        No. Per our official event rules and guidelines: Sale, transfer, or duplication of race entry/bib is strictly prohibited and will result in the disqualification and/or banning of any individuals involved from future events. All entry fees are non-refundable and cannot be deferred toward a future event.

Damaris

MothAudio

Not sure that banditing is deception. Deception would be making and wearing a bib for the race (I had a friend do that).

OP-I don't see a problem, just write your emergency into on the bib and enjoy the race.

While race organizers recognize there's a possibility a small % of the field may bandit I think everyone assumes you're a paid / official errant unless there's reason to suspect otherwise. Some people forget to wear their bibs or have them covered, so that's not always a reliable method to detect if one is a bandit or simpliy not following protocal. The deception is that the bandit is more than likely hoping to blend in with the official errants rather than broadcast their non-official status. In some instances people will make it a point to publicize their bandit status, like the Boston Marathon where it's become a part of the tradition.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

.... whenever I type in that bib number on the race photographers website, I find that I am actually a 6 '4" tall white guy.

You're not?????

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Oh, I agree.  I just find strange when people (not anyone specifically) try to find reasons why breaking the rules in this instance is OK.

In my opinion I think the LA Marathon has a draconian stance on transfers or deferrals. They allow zero of anything. So someone paid the $100 or whatever to run the marathon distance at this race. They got injured and now they want to hand their entry to another individual who will be able to run the distance. Is it against the LA Marathon's rules? Yes. Are their rules too rigid? In my opinion, yes. If I lived in the area I'd be thrilled to get free entry.

- Andrew

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

In my opinion I think the LA Marathon has a draconian stance on transfers or deferrals. They allow zero of anything. So someone paid the $100 or whatever to run the marathon distance at this race. They got injured and now they want to hand their entry to another individual who will be able to run the distance. Is it against the LA Marathon's rules? Yes. Are their rules too rigid? In my opinion, yes. If I lived in the area I'd be thrilled to get free entry.

Yes, and I don't think less of anyone that decides to run with another bib, but why should you decide to break a rule because it's draconian?  Maybe it's my job as a federal prosecutor that makes me think rule breaking is never OK, no matter why.  And definitely, the rule is unfair or strict is not one I accept.

Damaris

Yes, and I don't think less of anyone that decides to run with another bib, but why should you decide to break a rule because it's draconian?  Maybe it's my job as a federal prosecutor that makes me think rule breaking is never OK, no matter why.  And definitely, the rule is unfair or strict is not one I accept.

You have driven a car I presume? I refuse to believe you have followed every rule of the road 100% of your time behind the wheel.

And my point of the last post is that no one goes through life without breaking/bending a rule or two. And using a bib that has been paid for in a race you will be using as an easy run is way down my list of things that make you a bad person.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You have driven a car I presume? I refuse to believe you have followed every rule of the road 100% of your time behind the wheel.

I don't think people voluntarily plan on breaking a traffic law and when they do, they don't say, oh, I did it because the speed limit is so unfair and draconian.  Like I said, I don't think less of those who run with the bibs of others but saying breaking a rule because it's not fair or strict is not OK.  Break it because you want to break it.  Don't try to make the RD the bad guy in this situation.

Damaris

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I do see the prosecutor coming out in your post, yes. Smile

Of course I don't believe that people should break rules because they are draconian. That's foolish. I just called this particular rule draconian, because that's what it is. I believe that people work hard for their money and they should get something for it. It's my belief that if someone pays money to enter a sporting event then there should be reasonable accommodation if the person can't participate. The LA Marathon feels they either don't need to give such accommodation either because they're lazy, they think people just don't deserve it, or they are just money grubbing people who don't want to lose a dime in entry fees.

- Andrew

I personally wouldn't, but I can understand why someone would. If you are willing to accept the potential consequences (e.g., being banned, being judged by others), then I say go for it.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

DavePNW

I personally wouldn't, but I can understand why someone would. If you are willing to accept the potential consequences (e.g., being banned, being judged by others), then I say go for it.

That would never happen here!

Dave

delicate flower

+1 to banning Klompus.

<3

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Am I allowed to post here? I see I've been banned.