Beginners and Beyond

Help with foot cramping (Read 52 times)

Brilliant

My first (and so far only) marathon was a disaster, primarily because at mile 18 both of my feet were cramping severely. I walked/hobbled the last 8 miles - when I wasn't sitting on a park bench crying in frustration. Sad

it it was a very hot day - this year's LA Marathon. I've searched the internet trying to figure out what went wrong and what I can do differently, and just don't get it.

1. I wasn't dehydrated

2. My shoes are the same ones I almost always wear; that pair was somewhat broken in and fitting well.

3. I think I was OK on sodium & potassium. Ate a banana at the start line, and drank electrolytes along the route.

4. Advice seems to be mixed on stretching/not stretching.  In any case, I hadn't stretched before starting, but stopped several times after mile 18 to remove my shoes and stretch.

What else? I don't see another marathon in my future if I think this will happen again.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I would give a different make/model of shoe a try and see if that helps. The only foot problems I've had recently were a model of shoe (I love the brand!) that just didn't agree with me. To be fair, I could tell they weren't for me on 15 mile runs, so I could tell they wouldn't also work for the marathon. It sounds like you wear your shoes often and that it might not be the same as me. Just a thought though.

- Andrew

LRB

Just throwing it out there but muscle cramps (specifically calf cramps) where the marathon is concerned are usually the result of going out too fast.  Most people are reluctantly to consider it however and instead look at a lack of electrolytes as the culprit.

Although I have never heard of foot cramps there are muscles in them so I guess it's something to consider?

I am uncertain what stretching would have to do with foot cramps, did the person who suggested it expound upon that?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I also ran the L.A. Marathon and it was miserably hot, especially the last five miles. Are you sure you had enough fluid? I normally stop three or four times for water but I remember on that day I stopped at at least 12 water stations. My only guess is that it was a hydration or food based problem. Based on what you said, I can't see it being anything other than heat related.

Hip Redux

Just throwing it out there but muscle cramps (specifically calf cramps) where the marathon is concerned are usually the result of going out too fast.  Most people are reluctantly to consider it however and instead look at a lack of electrolytes as the culprit.

Although I have never heard of foot cramps there are muscles in them so I guess it's something to consider?

I am uncertain what stretching would have to do with foot cramps, did the person who suggested it expound upon that?

Or - trying to maintain a pace that your body had not trained for.  Cramping is often overuse/overstress when things like fluids and electrolytes are OK.

Any muscle can cramp, I believe.  I've had foot cramps - wicked painful.  Sad

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Muscles cramp.  The foot is not a muscle.  Your foot didn't cramp.

You people have issues 

#artbydmcbride

There are muscles in the foot.  Feet muscles cramp all.of.the.time.

Maybe you need more magnesium

Runners run

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

There are muscles in the foot.  Feet muscles cramp all.of.the.time.

Maybe you need more magnesium

If they are cramping "all of the time" you might want to take some Midol.

You people have issues 

Brilliant

I would give a different make/model of shoe a try and see if that helps. The only foot problems I've had recently were a model of shoe (I love the brand!) that just didn't agree with me. To be fair, I could tell they weren't for me on 15 mile runs, so I could tell they wouldn't also work for the marathon. It sounds like you wear your shoes often and that it might not be the same as me. Just a thought though.

I've been running mostly in the same brand/model since I started running almost 3 years ago.  (flirted with a couple of others but always go back to the Ravennas).  So that's why I think it's probably not the shoes.

I'll consider anything to keep it from happening again.  But my time by mile 18 was close to what it had been at a previous 18 mile run.  Maybe going too fast for conditions, though.  It was so hot starting at about mile 11.

About the stretching...one website suggested stretching your feet by pulling toes back, another said stretching your feet before running leads to cramping.  I always say, "If it's on the internet, it must be true!" Wink but in this case both can't be.

Brilliant

I also ran the L.A. Marathon and it was miserably hot, especially the last five miles. Are you sure you had enough fluid? I normally stop three or four times for water but I remember on that day I stopped at at least 12 water stations. My only guess is that it was a hydration or food based problem. Based on what you said, I can't see it being anything other than heat related.

You must be much faster than me because it was miserably hot for much longer in my race. Smile I turned the corner, coming out from the shade of the buildings in Hollywood, and realized clouds had burned off.  I literally said "Oh crap!" out loud as I realized there were 15 hot sunny miles ahead.

I really thought I hydrated enough - finished the 22 oz bottle of Gatorade I carried with me, and also took water at a lot of the aid stations.  I could feel it jostling in my stomach and was afraid to drink more than I was.

LRB

..but in this case both can't be.

We see it all the time on these forums; someone will  post a link to say this or that will help you run faster, then immediately someone else will post a link that says doing either or them will kill you.  lol

I like the "Italian" guy from the if it's on the internet it must be true commercials.  Hilarious!

Brilliant

Figure of speech.   I see "calf cramp" frequently here & on other sites...figured I was OK with the implied "feet muscles were cramping."

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I agree with the "going out too fast" for the conditions.  Even if the real heat came out after Mile 11, you probably started out too fast (we all do this most of the time) and it got worse due to the heat of the day.  Hope you find a way of not get it again.

Maybe some more miles overall (weekly mileage) before your next might help.  Sounds like your muscles were not used to the marathon mileage and the heat only made it worse?  What plan did you use for that race?

Damaris

My feet cramp whenever I come back from a break from running and when flip flop season starts. My toes are probably the only thing I stretch consistently and I find that it really helps.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Brilliant

..What plan did you use for that race?

Plan?  That was the question I hope no one would ask.  Not a plan really; I built my base up to about 40mpw and knew that wasn't ideal.  I hope to attempt LA again next year and actually start from a base of 40-50mpw, then use a real PLAN in the 4 months leading up to it.

So maybe the real answer is a combination of the heat, going out too fast for conditions, and being at the very low end of training for a marathon to begin with.  I'm looking for the magic bullet of shoes or electrolytes, but am not finding it.