Beginners and Beyond

Get Monday going (Read 49 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That I don't know. I actually didn't find out til after that it was that humid. I overheated during the race and had to go to a water stop and pour some water over my head, down the back of my neck and on my wrists, and remember thinking it was odd and this felt more like the race that happened to me at the very humid 4th of July race last year, and that I shouldn't feel this shitty in May...and then I was told there was 91% humidity.

That will depend on the dewpoint and temps, so the 91% by itself means nothing.  If it was 70F, for example, 91% means the dewpoint was less than 65 which is not really humid.  If it was 70 dewpoint, for example, it was super humid.  The percentage does not say much.  Miami sometimes has 50% humidity yet it's 78 dewpoint and 95F, which is extremely dangerously humid.  Only the dewpoint will let you know how shitty you run is (or will be).  It shouldn't feel this shitty in May, yes, but it's a whole new environment world out there and it will keep getting worse.  Bah!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well we don't listen to our wives...why should we listen to you? 

Listen to your wife.  Your life will be better....

Damaris

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Oh wow, I just got an email about a race on May 31st. It's a Mile race with wave starts dependent on estimated finish. I'll have to mull this one over.

- Andrew

StepbyStep-SH

The forecast had been for strong thunderstorms at 5 a.m., so I decided to make today a SRD. Of course, when I woke up at 6, I realized that I actually would have had a window in the storms to run then. I could run later today, at least at the Y, but I don't think I will. Lots to get done and martial arts tonight. But that means I've used this week's RD and then have to hammer the other 6 days to get the 60+ miles I want this week.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

outoftheblue

Summer has officially arrived where I live.  80 degrees today and climbing into the 90s by later this week.  I ended up doing 2 recovery miles yesterday night to help loosen up my legs.  I will probably go ahead and take today off now.

Damaris -- that sucks about the humidity and pollution.  Hopefully the California air will help those lungs this weekend.

Life is good.

Zelanie

Hey guys!  Woke up super late, but planning 6-7 after work.

Hip Redux

Maybe this should be pinned somewhere.  In order to calculate dew point, you need to know the relative humidity.  If given two of the three numbers (temp, dew point, humidity), you can figure out the third.  And there's this handy calculator, as well.

You can be pretty much guaranteed that if it's hot out and it's humid, it's going to be a high dew point, and it's going to suck.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Maybe this should be pinned somewhere.  In order to calculate dew point, you need to know the relative humidity.  If given two of the three numbers (temp, dew point, humidity), you can figure out the third.  And there's this handy calculator, as well.

You can be pretty much guaranteed that if it's hot out and it's humid, it's going to be a high dew point, and it's going to suck.

Yes, you need the number to calculate it but the number itself does not tell you much about how your run will be affected (and you cannot compare two places with only % of humidity) as it does not give you the overall picture.  I also like to use what they call the miserability index (temps + DP) which basically tells you how miserable the run will be (doh).  Mine are usually between 155-170 which is the what the fuck were you thinking going out and running level.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I like this chart as well:

Damaris

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ok I looked it up. Race time was 64 with a dew point of 63. No idea what that means exactly.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ok I looked it up. Race time was 64 with a dew point of 63. No idea what that means exactly.

That is more than 91% relative humidity but 63DP is not bad.  Because they were close together, the moisture in the air was high, but since it was not really hot, it shouldn't feel oppressive.  See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/training-heat?page=single

Let me see if I can link the table:

Dew pointHuman perception[1]Relative humidity at 32 °C (90 °F)
                        Over 26 °C Over 80 °F Severely high. Even deadly for asthma related illnesses 65% and higher
                        24–26 °C 75–80 °F Extremely uncomfortable, fairly oppressive 62%
                        21–24 °C 70–74 °F Very humid, quite uncomfortable 52–60%
                        18–21 °C 65–69 °F Somewhat uncomfortable for most people at upper edge 44–52%
                        16–18 °C 60–64 °F OK for most, but all perceive the humidity at upper edge 37–46%
                        13–16 °C 55–59 °F Comfortable 38–41%
                        10–12 °C 50–54 °F Very comfortable 31–37%
                        Under 10 °C Under 50 °F A bit dry for some 30%

Damaris

LRB

Thank you!  And that is all that matters to me, not precisely how much suck to the last drop.  And no we don't need to pin that, hobby joggers have more important things to worry about such as choosing which outfit to wear with what pair of shoes.

SRD

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

5 miles in the books for me today, easy pace.

Started the run with a low level backache. That was gone within the first 1/4 mile.

Finished the run with an aching knee. Hurt after I stopped, but after stretching, it is very minor.

A good run overall. It's starting to feel like summer outside.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

meaghansketch

I think a lot of temperature 'feel' depends on what you're acclimated to.  I was out doing a long(ish) run on Saturday (in the NYC area, where Kristin is also) and while it didn't feel dangerous, but it didn't feel particularly pleasant either, and I could tell it was enough to affect my pace.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It's not even 11 and I'm starving!  Who delayed the clock?  My stomach thinks it's lunch time.

Damaris