Beginners and Beyond

Marathon Training Tips and Advice (Read 114 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My debut marathon training begins on June 23, a new journey deeper into this life of running and I am scared any injuries or soon to be injury that might be lying under the surface.

First it was back in late March, early April my ankles started acting up so I had to take 4 days off. Then the few days after the Owensboro half marathon a week and 2 days ago, my calves were extremely tight, my quads were really sore and my hams were a bit tight so I took it easy last week with a 7.4 mile easy run on Tuesday, then 2 days of rest because my calves were a bit tight, then a 5 mile run on Friday that was supposed to be 7 but I just didn't have the heart at the time (financial problems) and then pushed my long run to 14 miles which to some might not have been smart. Saturday morning/afternoon I chased my son around for an hour at the riverfront park in Owensboro (Smothers Park), he would run under things where I would have to squat and walk like a duck to keep up with him. It was feeling like a leg strengthening session before a long run, probably not smart either.

The last 4 miles of yesterday's 14 miler, my lower quads were hurting. They were really sore, just above the knees and towards the inside of the knees (if that makes sense). I pushed on and made it to the 14 miles, by the afternoon I was feeling a very noticeably dull ache when walking (at the point of bending my knee bringing it forward from the ground) so I began icing it as much as possible. This morning I didn't notice the ache too much, though it is more noticeable for a minute or so after icing.... strange. I think it's getting better, or at least recovering but I am seriously wondering if I should take it easy for the next few days.

My only huge concern is that I begin my marathon training on June 23 without any hiccups, and I am worried that things are already falling apart before it gets really serious.

I am wondering if I should decrease my mileage over the next week or 2 before marathon training begins, take it easy and just try to recover so I don't burn out during my training. Things were going really great up until April, I was slowing inching my weekly mileage up closer and closer to a mpw of 35-40 and then the ankle issues started, then the half marathon so I've been keeping it closer to a 26-32 mpw range.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

hog4life

I wish I had more experience at the full to offer more sound advice, but I don't. If I were in your shoes, I would ease up the miles to see if things subside. I can tell you this from the one full that I have done, toeing the line healthy is vital, being undertrained is not real smart, try not to put too much pressure on yourself, have fun.

I will be taking a totally different approach to my next full, which I hope is in the fall or winter.

meaghansketch

As some people pointed out in the dailies thread, your mileage is really low right now for the length of long run you're running.  In an ideal world it would be closer to (or under) 25% of your total mileage, so a 10 mile LR for a 40 mile week.  I start getting knee issues if my long run starts getting over about 1/3 of my total mileage (12-13 for a 36-40 mile week)-- I can do it for a while but eventually it catches up with me.

That said I agree with taking a couple easy weeks between now and June 23.  You won't lose fitness and if you can resolve your nagging aches you'll be better off to start training.  Cross-train, cross-train, cross-train, though.  Weak hips/glutes/core can contribute to some of these types of issues.  I don't know if that's going on in this case, but better to resolve it if you can.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks so far you two  

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Your training really started the day you began running. Every mile you've run since then has added to your base. There's more to marathon training than the long run. Those mid-week miles will help a lot, so don't ignore them or cut them short.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

As some people pointed out in the dailies thread, your mileage is really low right now for the length of long run you're running.  In an ideal world it would be closer to (or under) 25% of your total mileage, so a 10 mile LR for a 40 mile week.  I start getting knee issues if my long run starts getting over about 1/3 of my total mileage (12-13 for a 36-40 mile week)-- I can do it for a while but eventually it catches up with me.

That said I agree with taking a couple easy weeks between now and June 23.  You won't lose fitness and if you can resolve your nagging aches you'll be better off to start training.  Cross-train, cross-train, cross-train, though.  Weak hips/glutes/core can contribute to some of these types of issues.  I don't know if that's going on in this case, but better to resolve it if you can.

This.  Also, you might be running some of your runs a bit too fast and then hurting at the end of the week during your LR (among other things, due to the earlier fast pace and the low mileage during the week).

I forgot, are you doing a specific plan?

Damaris

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Start drinking heavily.

You people have issues 

Birdwell

Start drinking heavily.

+1

Also, consider shortening up a few runs during the week and adding a sixth day of really, really easy running.

It keeps the mileage the same, but gives you another opportunity for active recovery and reduces the stress from some of the other runs.

My knees used to get a little wonky but this year I switched things up and started running 6 days a week and I give that all the credit in the world for how good my knees feel now.

Zelanie

I should preface this by saying that I don't know anything about anything, since I've never run a full before either.  But I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before, so here goes.

I looked at the plan you have in your log, and as the others have noted, your long runs are a fairly high percentage of your overall weekly mileage.  On the 20-miler week, for example, it's close to 50%.  The plan I'm following is somewhat extreme in the other direction, topping out at 26% of weekly mileage, for example.

I would recommend that you increase your weekly mileage and decrease your weekly long run.  On that kind of base, running long will take a lot out of you.  Plus a higher overall mileage would help you in the full, I think.

If you still want to run those longer LRs to build up confidence for the marathon, you might consider running long only every other week?  Then on the "off" weeks, you could run higher mileage on your other runs so you would still get the weekly mileage in without giving your legs the pounding of the LR every week.

My thought is that there's lots of stuff in our legs, hips, and feet that is still developing since we are both fairly new runners.  We're a little spoiled by seeing the kinds of runs that other runners here are able to put up, and maybe we'll be able to pull that off down the road.  But for a first marathon, it doesn't hurt to be conservative in training if at all possible.  At that means being careful about pushing too far on the long run when the legs just aren't ready for it yet.

Good luck to you!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

FSocks - I am seriously considering it, believe me.

I know my ankles had started hurting after I ran the Indian-Celina Challenge course back in March, I guess all those rocks  and roots did a number on them but I ignored it for a month which cost me 4 days of rest in April.

Maybe, just maybe it wasn't the smartest thing to go for a 5 mile run on the trails the morning after the Owensboro Half Marathon.... I should have taken that day as a rest day and started back up on Monday, but my dumbass didn't want to be under 30 miles for the week. And running 14 miles a week later was definitely not a smart idea.

Most of my runs, except for the 2 easy days, are progression runs or end up being progression runs as I start them out easy but I try to just make sure that my 2 easy days are slow and not pushed. I honestly feel like I am about to hit the burnout phase, I haven't really taken a week easy this year (unless I actually had to due to some sort of pain), business stress and the oncoming heat is all piling up to the point I don't even want to go out and run. I used to stress over having to take a couple unplanned days off... but now I am actually relieved that I didn't run yesterday, or today and I don't even care whether I run tomorrow or not. Sad

Would one week of no running hurt my fitness? Or even just a few days and then put in an easy 4 or 5 miler Friday and then a 5 or 7 Sunday, and the following week I would probably do something like this:

Monday: 5

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: 7

Thursday: Rest

Friday: 5

Saturday: 3

Sunday: 10

I am so freaking rambling on.... good news is my knee is hurting now.... 

I don't think a 6th day would be good for me just yet, I just recently added a 5th day of running starting in April. I notice in a lot of training plans (for marathon) the weekend has 2 runs, Saturday being half the mileage or just slightly less than Sunday's long run. I could get rid of my hill workouts and switch those miles to Saturday and slowly just build them up to 8 or 9? Why does my body have to be such a douche damn it!

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That is a possibility, yes though sad because the long run is my favorite run out of all. I love being out there for so long, being myself and to my own thoughts Sad It's the run I look forward to out of all of my runs.

Either I could do like you advised, or I could cut back on the inbetween weeks or "off" weeks' long run, maybe cut it back 3-5 miles or something like that?

Why does it seem that this is becoming more like science? 

I should preface this by saying that I don't know anything about anything, since I've never run a full before either.  But I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before, so here goes.

I looked at the plan you have in your log, and as the others have noted, your long runs are a fairly high percentage of your overall weekly mileage.  On the 20-miler week, for example, it's close to 50%.  The plan I'm following is somewhat extreme in the other direction, topping out at 26% of weekly mileage, for example.

I would recommend that you increase your weekly mileage and decrease your weekly long run.  On that kind of base, running long will take a lot out of you.  Plus a higher overall mileage would help you in the full, I think.

If you still want to run those longer LRs to build up confidence for the marathon, you might consider running long only every other week?  Then on the "off" weeks, you could run higher mileage on your other runs so you would still get the weekly mileage in without giving your legs the pounding of the LR every week.

My thought is that there's lots of stuff in our legs, hips, and feet that is still developing since we are both fairly new runners.  We're a little spoiled by seeing the kinds of runs that other runners here are able to put up, and maybe we'll be able to pull that off down the road.  But for a first marathon, it doesn't hurt to be conservative in training if at all possible.  At that means being careful about pushing too far on the long run when the legs just aren't ready for it yet.

Good luck to you!

PRs

Zelanie

That is a possibility, yes though sad because the long run is my favorite run out of all. I love being out there for so long, being myself and to my own thoughts Sad It's the run I look forward to out of all of my runs.

Either I could do like you advised, or I could cut back on the inbetween weeks or "off" weeks' long run, maybe cut it back 3-5 miles or something like that?

Why does it seem that this is becoming more like science? 

Ah, but if you trade a long for two "medium long" runs for the same distance, you get twice the "head cleaning" power in the same week- could be something to look forward to!

Also, I took a week off after my second half and close to a week off a month ago, and neither time has it hurt my fitness.  I was really stiff after my first week off, but that's because I didn't stretch or even walk at all, and did a lot of car travel at the same time.

Baboon

delicate flower

I just want to add that as you start running more, stuff hurts.  Are you sore or are you injured?  If you just have a slew of nagging aches, you best get used to it.  Big grin  There literally isn't a single day where I don't hurt somewhere.  Right now it's my bum knee and my hip.  Stuff used to hurt a lot more but my body has gotten used to the daily pounding.  I am sure most folks here who train for marathons have something that hurts every day.

As far as the mileage goes, I agree with meaghan's and George's points.

<3

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Take 2 days off.  Period!  Ice those knees off & on for about 10 minutes for a total of 30 minutes each night.

And don't be afraid of a 6th day.  Remember.......don't think of it as a quality workout day.......think of it as a quality "recovery" day.  All you want to do is get some blood moving in those legs.  Even if it's just 3 miles.  Or, heck, even 2!!  Run them SLOW!!!!!!   VERY SLOW!!  I think you'll be surprised at what it can do.

Stretch

Roll

Oh and get some serious sleep while you're at it. (If you're not already)

Randy

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I like that idea Smile

Yeah, I should have taken a few days as rest after the half Memorial Day Weekend, I knew it but I was letting my old stubborn "gotta get the miles in" self take control again Sad That is what got me in trouble in 2010 and 2012, I learned well from it last year and kicked ass at the 3 half marathons I had but I fear I am letting it control me again and I've got to get back in control damn it.

I tweaked my plan again, and I know I will keep tweaking it through the year but I like having something to look at and think over, at least giving me some sort of idea of what I am going to do you know? That is one of the reasons I love making my own plans rather than trying to follow "professional" plans, I like going with how I am feeling and what I can pretty much assume my body is ready for Smile

Ah, but if you trade a long for two "medium long" runs for the same distance, you get twice the "head cleaning" power in the same week- could be something to look forward to!

Also, I took a week off after my second half and close to a week off a month ago, and neither time has it hurt my fitness.  I was really stiff after my first week off, but that's because I didn't stretch or even walk at all, and did a lot of car travel at the same time.

PRs