Beginners and Beyond

Marathon Training Tips and Advice (Read 114 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm trying to  I guess I am just gun shy dang it, freaking out about the slightest ache.

I just want to add that as you start running more, stuff hurts.  Are you sore or are you injured?  If you just have a slew of nagging aches, you best get used to itBig grin  There literally isn't a single day where I don't hurt somewhere.  Right now it's my bum knee and my hip.  Stuff used to hurt a lot more but my body has gotten used to the daily pounding.  I am sure most folks here who train for marathons have something that hurts every day.

As far as the mileage goes, I agree with meaghan's and George's points.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Baboon

delicate flower

...I was letting my old stubborn "gotta get the miles in" self take control again Sad  

This will serve you well in marathon training.

<3

happylily

I just want to add that as you start running more, stuff hurts.  Are you sore or are you injured?  If you just have a slew of nagging aches, you best get used to it.  Big grin  There literally isn't a single day where I don't hurt somewhere.  Right now it's my bum knee and my hip.  Stuff used to hurt a lot more but my body has gotten used to the daily pounding.  I am sure most folks here who train for marathons have something that hurts every day.

As far as the mileage goes, I agree with meaghan's and George's points.

+1 to all this.

Also, if you have insecurities regarding your marathon training, it may be best to listen to your instinct. You may not be ready for a marathon yet.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sleep......... I try to go to bed by 9 PM, especially if I am getting up at 3:30 AM for a run (on the trails), if it's on the roads by my house then I don't get up until 4 or 4:30 AM. So that usually gives me an average of 6-7 hours of sleep on my run days, sometimes I'll hit the sack around 8:30 PM though.

I like my foam roller, and I have been icing the knee since Sunday afternoon, 3-4 times  a day, 15 minutes total.

Stretching.... yeah I suck at that 

Take 2 days off.  Period!  Ice those knees off & on for about 10 minutes for a total of 30 minutes each night.

And don't be afraid of a 6th day.  Remember.......don't think of it as a quality workout day.......think of it as a quality "recovery" day.  All you want to do is get some blood moving in those legs.  Even if it's just 3 miles.  Or, heck, even 2!!  Run them SLOW!!!!!!   VERY SLOW!!  I think you'll be surprised at what it can do.

Stretch

Roll

Oh and get some serious sleep while you're at it. (If you're not already)

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I wouldn't call it insecurities..... I was feeling really confident until the knee thing since it is so close to when my training begins, stupid knee (or stupid me). My stubborn, obsessive, idiotic side of me is trying to take control again and that is what I am worried about. I had it under control all year last year, and now it's trying to raise it's ugly head.... I need to beat it into submission damn it.

+1 to all this.

Also, if you have insecurities regarding your marathon training, it may be best to listen to your instinct. You may not be ready for a marathon yet.

PRs

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

FS

There is nothing to be nervous about, be excited! Take it a day at the time, do your workout and address any issues as they come up.

( do pay attention to sabotaging your workouts)

and and as my coach always says, "have fun with it."

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

thanks. Above all else, I really need to remember to just have fun with it.

FS

There is nothing to be nervous about, be excited! Take it a day at the time, do your workout and address any issues as they come up.

( do pay attention to sabotaging your workouts)

and and as my coach always says, "have fun with it."

PRs

onemile

When I was training for my first marathon, my knees and hips would get pretty sore in the last 2 miles of my long runs and I always wondered how I was going run farther the next week.  But then the next week, it would be the same - my long run was further and my knees still hurt for the last 2 miles.  You adapt to it.

It's a nice idea that your long run should be only 25% of your weekly mileage and you really should be running higher volume and wait to do a marathon til you're ready. But what fun is that? If you want to run a marathon now, do it.  I could have waited til I was ready but I don't regret not waiting.

And I kind of agree with Baboon. There really isn't a time when I don't have aches / pains / concerns about something developing into a potential injury.  It's just part of training. And so is getting injured.  We take calculated risks all the time in training.  Sometimes we get away with it and sometimes we don't.  But having been injured a few times, it's not the end of the world.  But it takes a few to figure that out.

Baboon

delicate flower

I'm trying to  I guess I am just gun shy dang it, freaking out about the slightest ache.

That is understandable.  If you are freaking out now though, just wait until you get through your training and hit the taper weeks when all sorts of new aches and pains appear.  Big grin

You will get to a point in training though where being sore is your new normal, and you won't even think much about it.  You will also get to a point where you are tired all the time.  And you have not known hunger from running like the hunger you will soon experience.  Good times.  Smile

<3

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hunger as in food hunger? Great......... I starve enough as it is lol.

I definitely feel ready to start the training, I felt it when I reached 16 miles back in April. The aches and pains.... well, this is the journey I want so I'll take what comes with it.

PRs

LRB

Your training really started the day you began running. Every mile you've run since then has added to your base.

Word.  (you see that lily? lol)

Brilliant

I just want to add that as you start running more, stuff hurts.  Are you sore or are you injured?  If you just have a slew of nagging aches, you best get used to it.  Big grin  There literally isn't a single day where I don't hurt somewhere.  Right now it's my bum knee and my hip.  Stuff used to hurt a lot more but my body has gotten used to the daily pounding.  I am sure most folks here who train for marathons have something that hurts every day.

True...age doesn't help either (although I think Freesoul is pretty young...)

I have a bum knee, too  - been to a board-certified sports medicine doc, physical therapy, and an orthopedic doc who's also an athlete. The orthopedist finally told me after all the tests and PT, that there's nothing wrong with my knee except middle age and running.  If I want to keep running, I just have to deal with the achy knee.  (since I can't change the middle-age part).

happylily

True...age doesn't help either (although I think Freesoul is pretty young...)

I have a bum knee, too  - been to a board-certified sports medicine doc, physical therapy, and an orthopedic doc who's also an athlete. The orthopedist finally told me after all the tests and PT, that there's nothing wrong with my knee except middle age and running.  If I want to keep running, I just have to deal with the achy knee.  (since I can't change the middle-age part).

Middle-age is 29, now? Since when?

I also have a more fragile knee. It's got nothing to do with my age. It's due to my left leg being shorter than my right one. My hip occasionally hurts as well. I have adapted to the pain and it has stopped being a source of worry for me.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I will be 27 in November, and I consider myself young still. I won't even begin to consider myself middle age until 45-50 years old, no matter what others might think about age 

My knee is definitely feeling better, but looking at images online, I am thinking it was more of the very bottom tip of the quadricep or the Vastus Medialis that is sore. When I ice that area, it feels much better. Of course I am not a professional, so I am just speculating.

PRs

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I will be 27 in November, and I consider myself young still. I won't even begin to consider myself middle age until 45-50 years old, no matter what others might think about age 

My knee is definitely feeling better, but looking at images online, I am thinking it was more of the very bottom tip of the quadricep or the Vastus Medialis that is sore. When I ice that area, it feels much better. Of course I am not a professional, so I am just speculating.

Yay... per FS I am still 'young'.