Beginners and Beyond

Marathon Training Tips and Advice (Read 114 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Then twice more!  lol

Only twice?

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Are ya'll talking about pooping?

Only twice?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

What gave you that idea?

LRB

Only twice?

Twice more before you head downstairs to the main floor. 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Look both ways before crossing the street.

Never run with scissors.

Chew your food thoroughly before swallowing.

Don't talk with your mouth full.

Think before you act.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay smart ass 

Never run with scissors.

Think before you act.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Hip Redux

Never run with scissors.

Think before you act.

You forgot don't swim after eating!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well in theory you don't have to do any of them, many people don't and do just fine.  I however, am not one of those people.  lol

It also depends on the time you start running.  A 6am race?  Hell no, I will not wake up before 4:30am.  Most of my races start before 7am.  I am barely awake at that time, least of all hungry.  If I do eat, I find that my reflux gets worse (I guess with the stress of the race), so it's better if I just eat nothing or something if hungry (but very light).

Everybody is different, yes, Andrea, and you need to (1) find what works for you, and (2) practice it with your LRs.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes, go into the potty, do your business and get back in line to wait for the second and third.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hell, I probably have 5-8 potty breaks before a race, within 2 hours before the start so I've got that down. I actually do a lot better now than I was in 2011, 2012 and early 2013.

Nutrition will definitely be a top priority for me, as I am not very good at it lol.

PRs

Brilliant

I need you to photograph me with whatever filter you used for your avatar.  lol    K thx.

It's easy peasy...if you have a smartphone, download Instagram.  Take the picture and then try out the different "effects". Smile  I don't know how my daughter did this one; there must have been a light source behind me (or the flash?) so the light got blown out.

A few things:

1) As people have talked about, it is important to mitigate the small/medium aches and pains when they start.  Losing a day, or even two, to let something wonky recover isn't the end of the world.  Losing a week or two because you were a slave to the plan becomes a more serious detriment, especially going into your first marathon.

2) The marathon is a race, just like a 5K or a half.  If all your long runs are "easy", you'll only be able to run easy come race day.  The amount you run at MP is highly dependent on your goal, but try to do at least portions of some of your LRs at MP.

3) The more miles you run during training, the less your race will hurt.

Love the Half

This "have fun with it" shit applies if you want to hobby jog a marathon.  It does not apply if you want to lay yourself out for the best possible time.  If you want to do the latter, then your training needs to keep you on the razor's edge of injury without pushing you over it and the race itself is a miserable suckfest for the last 5-6 miles.

BTW, I agree with Jay.  The marathon is a race no different from any other race.  However, I disagree that more mileage makes it hurt less.  More mileage just means you can run it faster.  It probably hurts more.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

This "have fun with it" shit applies if you want to hobby jog a marathon.  It does not apply if you want to lay yourself out for the best possible time.  If you want to do the latter, then your training needs to keep you on the razor's edge of injury without pushing you over it and the race itself is a miserable suckfest for the last 5-6 miles.

BTW, I agree with Jay.  The marathon is a race no different from any other race.  However, I disagree that more mileage makes it hurt less.  More mileage just means you can run it faster.  It probably hurts more.

Like masochism a bit there LtH?

I have a great damned time training hard.  Yes, it hurts, it is work, but if I didn't enjoy it and "have fun with it" I would go do something else more rewarding.

Now, one of the big differences between us is where we started and have been relatively healthy my entire life.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am going to just have fun with this one, it is my first and it is not like a 5k, 10k or even a 15k in the fact that if you make a mistake during those then at least it's over in 30 minutes to an hour. But make a mistake during a half or full and it is most likely going to suck for 2-4 hours, and I am not willing to "race" my very first marathon - my goal is to finish and feel relatively well afterwards, exhausted but not broken down.

PRs