Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES Word of the DAY (Read 46 times)

LRB

I told him I do not stretch pre or post run, ever.  What I do is sit on the living room floor every night for 30 minutes of stretching and rolling.  I do honestly believe this helps keep me relatively injury free with my higher than average volume.  Also, with my twice-repaired knee, I work the hell out of it to keep it flexible and limber.

Well a cursory glance through your log (NTIDALT ) would suggest that whatever you are doing is working!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I took part of the morning off to be able to run my 20 miles with 5 easy, 10 @ MP + 10%, and the last 5 at MP.  If you read my log, you'll know it went really well (ran 11 outside and last 9 indoors but the paces were the same).  At this point, I have one more LR and still no idea what I'll do on the race.

Pilates later.

Damaris

outoftheblue

Morning!  I took part of the morning off to be able to run my 20 miles with 5 easy, 10 @ MP + 10%, and the last 5 at MP.  If you read my log, you'll know it went really well (ran 11 outside and last 9 indoors but the paces were the same).  At this point, I have one more LR and still no idea what I'll do on the race.

Pilates later.

It looks like you nailed it.  Really impressive workout and I think it bodes very well for Paris.  I know it's easy for me to say, but I can't wait to see what you do!

Life is good.

cjones1

Just finished 8.55 with 5 at GHMP. So much easier mentally to do long tempo type workouts outside than on the treadmill, though I definitely did not appreciate the hills at the beginning. I keeeled that son of a gun - goal pace is 8:23, first mile was 8:33 due to aforementioned hills, middle 3 were all 8:23/24, last one was 8:18.

Rolled my right ankle stepping on a rock at the very end, it feels fine now but keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't turn into anything bad - might take tomorrow off just to be safe.

This is essentially the same workout I did this morning, except I either ran it a bit fast, or my HMP is slightly faster than I thought.  Or I think it's faster and I will really crash at my race. My goal pace is 8:00/mile, and I ran a 2m w/u, 5m @ avg. 7:42/mi, 1m c/d.  It felt moderately hard, especially at the end, but not terrible.  I do wonder how/if I can hold it for 8 additional miles.  How hard was it for you at this point in your training?  I struggle with figuring out if I'm running too slow or too fast on my workout days.  I've got 4-5 weeks to really dial into a goal pace, so hopefully I'll have it down by then.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

happylily

Pilates later.

You've had much bad luck in the past. Nothing can happen this time. If it does, buy a lottery ticket! I think a 4:10 marathon is in the cards for you, D.

I skipped my run last night. I had a case of "This is stupid. I don't care anymore. I'm so ready to move on..." So I moved on to the couch with a bottle of wine and a few episodes of House of Cards. This morning I woke up crampy and bitchy, had one look at the calendar and went "Oh, I get it..." I'll try the med-LR again tonight. Not making any promises, though.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Wait, what?  That's crazy!

ETA: We started watching Season 1 of House of Cards.  We like it so far!

Damaris

From the Internet.

This is essentially the same workout I did this morning, except I either ran it a bit fast, or my HMP is slightly faster than I thought.  Or I think it's faster and I will really crash at my race. My goal pace is 8:00/mile, and I ran a 2m w/u, 5m @ avg. 7:42/mi, 1m c/d.  It felt moderately hard, especially at the end, but not terrible.  I do wonder how/if I can hold it for 8 additional miles.  How hard was it for you at this point in your training?  I struggle with figuring out if I'm running too slow or too fast on my workout days.  I've got 4-5 weeks to really dial into a goal pace, so hopefully I'll have it down by then.

This will be my first half so I don't have any previous experience to draw on, but that's pretty much how I've been feeling after all my GHMP workouts. The rest of the folks here have assured me this is normal Smile

For me today, it was the first couple miles that felt moderately hard, but that's where all the hills were so it made the rest of it feel a little easier by comparison. By the end I felt like I *could* do another half mile to a mile, but I reeeeally didn't *want* to, which is more or less what I aim for with all my workouts - if one more rep/mile/whatever is doable but I don't wanna do it, that's probably the right effort level for my current fitness.

happylily

Wait, what?  That's crazy!

ETA: We started watching Season 1 of House of Cards.  We like it so far!

Not crazy at all. 9:30 pace equals a 4:08 marathon.  House of Cards is completely over the top. I love hating the main characters so much.

Ric-G

8 miles this morning....stretching - so many opinions, styles, etc...do what works or keep not doing what works...there is no right answer for everyone, just a right answer for you....have a great day everyone.

marathon pr - 3:16

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Not crazy at all. 9:30 pace equals a 4:08 marathon.  House of Cards is completely over the top. I love hating the main characters so much.

I'll be surprised if my lungs work that day, so anything between that and my PR MP will make me happy.  So far, lungs are working, so we'll see!  And stop freaking me out!!! 

Damaris

outoftheblue

I'll be surprised if my lungs work that day, so anything between that and my PR MP will make me happy.  So far, lungs are working, so we'll see!  And stop freaking me out!!! 

Dont' freak out!  Relax and think positive.

You GOT this.

Life is good.

happylily

As it should. PRs, big or small, are great. Don't worry, you'll do well.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

3.1 intervals. 4x800 2x400. Was going to do more 400 s and then cool down but when doing the third 400 my quad became grumpy so just went to cool down pace and quit at 3.1.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Funny, OOTB and lily, that's what my coach has been telling me lately.  Sigh.  Wait until taper starts; I'll go crazy!

I am just nervous because I was so confident in Chicago 2013 and I didn't even finish the race.  So I don't want to jinx myself again.

Damaris

LRB

Running faster than goal pace is not a problem I am having right now. Shit, I cannot even run goal pace!

From what I have seen you are killing this cycle (you too Lauren) so I doubt that when the rubber meets the road you will have any problems.

I on the other hand, am not even sure I will run marathon pace for my half, sigh.

I am hopeful though that it all comes together. Hopeful being a word I have never used. So my ass just may get handed to me at the finish line along with a bottle of water. lol