Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES have a view from the top of the world (Read 40 times)

Zelanie

Hi folks.  Nice little streak run done last night.  Tonight I'll run something.

DavePNW

Looks like the Ravenna 7's are out DaveP.   Slightly less ugly I think but also $10 more.  

http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/ravenna-7-mens-running-shoes/110217.html

I figured they'd have to be coming soon, with the 6's going on sale. Do you get some kind of alert, or are you just shopping all the time?  I agree less ugly, and you're right, they're now up to Adrenaline prices. I could never figure out why there was a $10 difference, but I guess I don't have to wonder anymore. Guess I will need to decide whether to skip over the 6's and go straight from 5 to 7, or move into the 6's and just stay one model behind, to maximize cheapness. Oh these major life decisions.

8 miles with 6x800. A little sluggish on the paces, although finally nailed the last one.

Dave

GinnyinPA

George - Montana will be hard to train for here, because you've got high elevation and a lot of direct sun out there, that you don't have here.  OTOH, the trails should be less rocky and rooty, and graded for horses.  Have you ever done Holiday Lake 50k?  It's in Virginia in February, with only 2000' elevation gain.  If I ever get strong enough, I'd like to do that one, I think, as a first ultra.  PA trail races are so rocky, they intimidate me.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

George - Montana will be hard to train for here, because you've got high elevation and a lot of direct sun out there, that you don't have here.  OTOH, the trails should be less rocky and rooty, and graded for horses.  Have you ever done Holiday Lake 50k?  It's in Virginia in February, with only 2000' elevation gain.  If I ever get strong enough, I'd like to do that one, I think, as a first ultra.  PA trail races are so rocky, they intimidate me.

Description from website:

• The course is approximately 32.7 mile long. 88% non-motorized technical trail, 12% rough and rocky jeep/ATV trail.
          • 7,875 feet of elevation gain.
          • Elevation ranges between 5,300 feet and 8,000 feet above sea level.
          • Asphalt? No.  Concrete? No. Forests, meadows, rocks, and cold, clear creeks to splash through?  Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

I've run at 8000 ft when on vacation. At the pace and effort I'll be going, the elevation shouldn't be an issue. In the detailed description of the course, segment by segment (most between 4-6 miles in length), none of them have more than a 2500 ft gain and/or loss. I've hiked in Glacier, Waterton, Banff, and Jasper. I'm assuming the trails will be a little more technical than in the national parks. If I can run some races that have climbs of 1000 ft or so, I should be in good shape.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Wcrunner, not sure where in PA you are, but there is the Trail Dawgs 50k in Elkton, MD in January, the Mid-maryland ultra in Elkridge (South of B-more) in February, the HAT 50k at Susquehanna state park in March. Elkridge is less hilly, assuming it remains in Rockburn Park. If it goes across the road to Patapsco, it is really hilly.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Wcrunner, not sure where in PA you are, but there is the Trail Dawgs 50k in Elkton, MD in January, the Mid-maryland ultra in Elkridge (South of B-more) in February, the HAT 50k at Susquehanna state park in March. Elkridge is less hilly, assuming it remains in Rockburn Park. If it goes across the road to Patapsco, it is really hilly.

I'll still be in recovery mode in January after running 24 hours at ATY on 12/28. February is my annual trip south to visit my DD in Florida. I'm checking out a couple races there, but they won't have any significant hills.  I've looked at HAT but I'm also considering the Naked Bavarian in March, Hyner in April, Dirty German or Dawn to Dusk to Dawn (on a 400m track) in May, Rothrock or Laurel Highlands 50K in June, and Double Trouble 15K in July.  At this point I can't make any definite plans so everything is still tentative except Elkhorn and NC24 in September, but registration hasn't opened for that yet.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                    06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Baboon

delicate flower

I don't understand how or why these Japanese sweet potatoes are so freakin' good, especially when they are slightly overcooked so the skin gets caramelized.  Also, $3 a pound so four potatoes costs upwards of ten bucks.  WORTH IT.

<3

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I don't understand how or why these Japanese sweet potatoes are so freakin' good, especially when they are slightly overcooked so the skin gets caramelized.  Also, $3 a pound so four potatoes costs upwards of ten bucks.  WORTH IT.

If you have asian food markets near you, you can probably get them much cheaper.  My mother in law always gets us "fancy" asian produce for pretty cheap.  They sell the japanese sweet potatoes at trader joes as well if you have one of those near you.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

Mm sweet potatoes - I'll have to keep an eye out for those ones!

My local farm is selling 20 lb boxes of sweet potatoes and potatoes for $12 each this Friday. How long do you reckon it'd take 3 people to eat 20 lbs of potatoes?

Baboon

delicate flower

Mm sweet potatoes - I'll have to keep an eye out for those ones!

My local farm is selling 20 lb boxes of sweet potatoes and potatoes for $12 each this Friday. How long do you reckon it'd take 3 people to eat 20 lbs of potatoes?

Wife and I eat various potatothings 3-4 times a week.  We could get through 20 pounds in two weeks.

<3

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Coming to grips with a change in my MRT -

Devoid of a definite direction I intended to rehash my previous marathon plan

- custom Vdot  driven Daniels

- 24 weeks 80 mpw min peak) (last year was 92)

After speaking with my coach (and other experienced runners also piping in)  apparently "I don't need to do that shit, why work backwards?"

I dunno, cuz...  um  cuz?

The coming to grips part:

Specific (much lower mileage) workouts for the next 4 weeks (at least)  followed by *something*! and some specific non-running strength workouts.

what? I have no clue.

Trust... and a lot of it.

At this point I just feel uneasy like I am not doing enough.

onemile

Coming to grips with a change in my MRT -

Devoid of a definite direction I intended to rehash my previous marathon plan

- custom Vdot  driven Daniels

- 24 weeks 80 mpw min peak) (last year was 92)

After speaking with my coach (and other experienced runners also piping in)  apparently "I don't need to do that shit, why work backwards?"

I dunno, cuz...  um  cuz?

The coming to grips part:

Specific (much lower mileage) workouts for the next 4 weeks (at least)  followed by *something*! and some specific non-running strength workouts.

what? I have no clue.

Trust... and a lot of it.

At this point I just feel uneasy like I am not doing enough.

Doesn't your coach provide you with a training plan?

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Doesn't your coach provide you with a training plan?

Yes he does.  However, I have not had a paper plan in hands all spring and summer.  (I find I need a plan to feel at ease)

So I have been a bit eager to start a plan.  The last time I asked was back in summer - the answer was inconclusive to me - "Don't worry we'll see how you are doing when it gets closer."

Me being who I am - went ahead and backtracked 24 weeks to start 'something'.

It is a different mindset that I am getting used too:

I tend to like order and schedules and to know whats going on, when etc. At least have a solid idea when something is intended to occur.

Coach on the other hand, has all of this in his head and wants me not to worry about hitting every specific time frame and target.

Which I have come to understand is a tactic to combat a persons whine mode - ie: "I'm supposed to be X fast by now!  whaaa whaaa."

LRB

Yes he does.  However, I have not had a paper plan in hands all spring and summer.  (I find I need a plan to feel at ease)

So I have been a bit eager to start a plan.  The last time I asked was back in summer - the answer was inconclusive to me - "Don't worry we'll see how you are doing when it gets closer."

Me being who I am - went ahead and backtracked 24 weeks to start 'something'.

It is a different mindset that I am getting used too:

I tend to like order and schedules and to know whats going on, when etc. At least have a solid idea when something is intended to occur.

Coach on the other hand, has all of this in his head and wants me not to worry about hitting every specific time frame and target.

Which I have come to understand is a tactic to combat a persons whine mode - ie: "I'm supposed to be X fast by now!  whaaa whaaa."

Fire him and hire someone who is more attentive to your wants and needs.  

onemile

Fire him and hire someone who is more attentive to your wants and needs.  

Or just take a chill pill