Beginners and Beyond

Hoppy Sundailies (Read 48 times)

Cyberic

Exactly. Does it make it better someone else is sharing my pain? Not really, lol

It actually confuses me more. Not really the groin part, but the lower abdominals. I thought that it was a consequence of not doing core work. But the fact that you, Rick, have that too, with all the red cord you've been doing, makes me realize that it might not be lack of core strength.

LRB

It actually confuses me more. Not really the groin part, but the lower abdominals. I thought that it was a consequence of not doing core work. But the fact that you, Rick, have that too, with all the red cord you've been doing, makes me realize that it might not be lack of core strength.

I actually injured my groin on the red cord my first time there.  I was doing a simple side-lying adductor move that should have been pretty uneventful, except that with my fickle ass you just never know which body part is going to break. lol

It is nowhere near where it was at its worst, but it has proven to be a tall order to get it 100% again. Nicole feels responsible for it but it is not her fault, I am a potpourri of muscle imbalances!

On your other comment about core work, the word core gets tossed around loosely but it is more than just the stomach muscles. It is your glutes, hips, abs, groin, and part of the back as well. All these things come together to form your core and work as one, so if there is a weakness in one of them then technically you have a weak core.

Oski, Marj and D would know more about it but that is pretty much the gist of it.

Cyberic

I'm not looking for a definition of core, no worries, lol.

My belief resembles what Noakes writes in his book. I have to find the cause, otherwise any fix won't last if I keep doing what is hurting me, which I'll do if I don't know the cause.  No offense to anyone, really, everyone does what she/he believes best, but I don't believe in massages, rolling, etc. I believe in changing shoes, stop running always on the same side of the road, go easy on the speed work, change your stride, and the like.

Now if I could only figure out what I'm doing, or not doing, which causes the lower ab, and the groin issues.

workinprogress11

4 progressive miles. Off soon to a night alone with hubby. Woo hoo!

DavePNW

I must be an alien because all of my running peeps here are the same. I thus get to run long alone on Sunday.

Ahem. I used to do long runs, and they were on Sundays. Although in winter it may be whichever weekend day has the less ridiculous weather. I just finished 8 miles, which actually was my longest in quite a while. Bring me to 32 miles for the week, my most since the end of Feb, and my first 5-run week since then. At this point, I'll take it. Along with a side of Baboon's pancakes.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I actually injured my groin on the red cord my first time there.  I was doing a simple side-lying adductor move that should have been pretty uneventful, except that with my fickle ass you just never know which body part is going to break. lol

It is nowhere near where it was at its worst, but it has proven to be a tall order to get it 100% again. Nicole feels responsible for it but it is not her fault, I am a potpourri of muscle imbalances!

On your other comment about core work, the word core gets tossed around loosely but it is more than just the stomach muscles. It is your glutes, hips, abs, groin, and part of the back as well. All these things come together to form your core and work as one, so if there is a weakness in one of them then technically you have a weak core.

Oski, Marj and D would know more about it but that is pretty much the gist of it.

Just because your core is strong does not mean you won't have issues.  I have done a year of Pilates and still get psoas issues from time to time (and groin issues too).  The idea is to continue working on them so those are few and far between.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Zelanie - I have a stiff arthritic toe as well.  Sometimes when I'm doing planks, the toes just don't want to bend.  Better that than the other big toe issue: gout.  My DIL suffers that, and it's really not fun.

George - I've mostly been doing my LRs on Sunday, following a training plan, but like you I'll do it other days if that works out better.  I'll sometimes pick the day with the best weather, especially this winter when weekends have meant snow storms.

20 mile run today.  The wind really triggered sinus activity.  I've coughed more in the past two hours than I have all winter, which is weird because there's not that much in bloom yet.

LRB

I'm not looking for a definition of core, no worries, lol.

My belief resembles what Noakes writes in his book. I have to find the cause, otherwise any fix won't last if I keep doing what is hurting me, which I'll do if I don't know the cause.  No offense to anyone, really, everyone does what she/he believes best, but I don't believe in massages, rolling, etc. I believe in changing shoes, stop running always on the same side of the road, go easy on the speed work, change your stride, and the like.

Now if I could only figure out what I'm doing, or not doing, which causes the lower ab, and the groin issues.

It is in our nature to speak about things that happened to us when someone poses a question. This most often is not advice to the inquisitor, just us talking out loud, something I do often. lol

LRB

Just because your core is strong does not mean you won't have issues. 

Trust me honey I am living proof of this.

LRB

20 mile run today. 

You have come a long way babe!

I am entering runs from my first two years of running and going through the logs is bringing back memories I had forgotten all about!

3.87 regen.  Now to get the wood burner going, hopefully for the last time this season.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

ESU, Ginny!

Damaris

outoftheblue

Very true.  When I slack off what I call my "upper leg" exercises, problems usually crop up.

20 minutes on the elliptical for me today.  That, at least, I can do with zero pain anywhere.

Life is good.

cjones1

I've been eating like I ran 20 miles. Does that count? Smile

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

LRB

ESU, Ginny!

Okay that made me laugh!