Beginners and Beyond

Making a case for auto lapping (Read 66 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

58:30?! Aaaaagggggggg no. Lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

bluerun

Super B****

58:30?! Aaaaagggggggg no. Lol

(I shouldn't push my luck lest you stop praying for my knee, right?)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Love the Half

I use the auto lap because I have been on too many courses with inaccurately placed markers and that includes certified courses.  Remember that race certification has nothing to do with accurately placing the markers along the course and everything to do with ensuring that every participant ran at least the advertised distance.  Beyond that, sometimes stuff simply gets put in the wrong place.  But, what I don't do is look at my pace when it beeps.  I don't rely on that.  What I do is look at my pace when I see the mile marker coming up.  I know I'm close and it's usually something like 0.95 when I check.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

I auto-lap, because manual lapping is just one more thing my addled brain does not need to worry about in a race.

your GPS measurement will always be long, not only because of tangents, but also due to GPS positioning error, especially when surrounded by tall buildings or other obstacles. I always run a few seconds per mile faster because of that.

btw Garmin 10 has manual lapping, that's what I use during speedwork.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

and if markers are off, that is usually a mistake by whoever placed them there, not a course measurement problem. Besides, you can only place markers in certain spots, e.g. not in the middle of an intersection.

happylily

I auto-lap, because manual lapping is just one more thing my addled brain does not need to worry about in a race.

Same here.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

I'm surprised I'm the only weirdo who uses manual lap. I understand that the placement of the markers won't always be perfect and I only ask that they be reasonably close. But the way that HM course was laid out is pretty funny.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

The race begins at the start line and ends at the finish line.  Everything that happens in between those 2 lines is really inconsequential.

Up until a year ago I never even used the lap feature on my Garmin.  I simply went by overall average pace.

You people have issues 

catwhoorg

Labrat

Auto lap here.

Some roads have so many races on them, there is a veritable web of spray paint on the sides of them.

Very easy for someone to put the mile marker on the mile mark from that race 2 weeks ago, which is 100 yds or so away from todays race marker.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

DavePNW

The race begins at the start line and ends at the finish line.  

Or sometimes sooner.

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

auto lapping sounds disgusting...why in the world would you want to lick a car?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Scotty, you would have loved all the "lavacars" they had down in Costa Rica.

B-Plus

Would you prefer to lick Manuel?

happylily

Would you prefer to lick Manuel?

OMG... LOL...

happylily

I'm still laughing.  Sorry.