Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #11 (Read 32 times)

onemile

I wasn't able to get the podcasts to my watch from my computer for whatever reason (maybe they'll upload overnight). I downloaded Spotify but need a premium account to add it to my watch so that's out. Looks like it's back to running with my phone if I want to continue listening to technobabble.

oh I guess I have premium then..

LRB

shorts and a tshirt. go do it.

Yes, I surmised as much. That's exactly what those temps call for, it just seems weird, you know? I guess I'll stop thinking about and just do it!

Baboon

delicate flower

I ran 5 easy.  I wore a long sleeve shirt and it was too warm.  Glad I wore shorts!  Tomorrow's racething will be in a singlet.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Disney HM in 4:12 (not a typo). So much fun with my GFs. Then the fun crashed down when I opened FB and saw 13 earthquakes in PR since midnight including another 6.0. Trying to reach my parents now. MIL is posting in FB so assume she is OK.

Damaris

Up early to run the Frozen Finger 5 Miler. It's going to be near 70, so no fingers will be freezing today. Football watching later.

Wonderful day for a run, 55 when I started.... not a wonder run though for me.

7.5, first 4.5 Burke lake inside right ham tight and did the last mile ghastly slow, had hoped for 13.

Then 3mi bowl-hills with road crown thirty minutes later,  ham better, hadn’t done those in a while.  I’m wondering if the ‘short shallow gutter hills’ I’ve been doing recently are too shallow, not enough to pitch.  I may need pitch and tilt at the same time to stretch and work the ham.

Half Crazy K 2.0

That went better than expected, 45:28, measured 5.1. I've only done 2 other 5 mile races. PR was 46 something on a course in the Campus Hills neighborhood. Other one was in Druid Hill Park. This one was at the beach area of Gunpowder State Park, so it is mostly flat. My tank top chafed my underarms, which is not something I expect to be saying in January 3 days after a snow day.

RunningOnSand

I always chafe, it doesn't matter what I wear, or the temps.  Hope your chafe wasn't too terrible, HC. And congrats on the PR! I always wonder how much hills affect timing, too (if that's what you were alluding to with the other hill races you ran?).

LRB, did you end up wearing shorts & a tank? How was it? Did the rain hold off?

Onemile, what are you going to do with the sheet of ice? Run indoors?

Docket, sounds really fun. Sorry to hear about more of the earthquakes. Wow, they've had so many of them recently. Hope you can actually talk to your parents; even though MIL's posting on FB I know that to actually speak to them gives better peace of mind.

It was -3*F when I woke up this morning, and is 7*F now ("feels like" of -6*F), so I'll run inside on the TM. I have zero desire to run outside in this cold weather, even though the sun is shining! However, for Christmas I did get the Oiselle Insulated Vim jacket, and that is toasty warm (and, the sweat doesn't stick to my arms! It wicks!) but it's my face that I'm worried about keeping warm. I have a neck gaiter but it always falls down, so I have to bite down on it, which is hard to do while running. Maybe I need to get a new one. In any case, I may watch a movie and try to do a TM run. Wheeee!

LRB

LRB, did you end up wearing shorts & a tank? How was it? Did the rain hold off?

Bawahahahaha! The temp dropped to 36 degrees and the wind picked up to 17 miles per flipping hour. 

I wore my thin wind pants and a light wind breaker over a short sleeve top. My jacket had a hood and it's the first time I've ever run wearing one. Ended up running 8.3 miles which was cut from double digits because I sensed I'd regret running out 7 miles then having to run back and I was right. At the 6 mile mark my gloves were drenched which meant my hands were frozen so I had a hard time getting the gloves off and on to fiddle with my phone (which was in a ziploc) to change podcasts.

Not all that bad all things considered but definitely a contender for the bad ass dumb ass award.

sdWhiskers

25:19 which is a 20 sec 5k PR. Woohoo!! Starting off 2020 right. And first time in awhile that it was still in the 40's at the end of a race here. I wore LS, shorts and gloves, and have no regrets.

Felt pretty good. I mean it sucked in the way 5ks do, but I didn't want to quit and walk at any point. So maybe some progress mentally.  Came home to a pile of delicious French toast. Now we golf.

Half Crazy K 2.0

sdWhiskers, congrats on the PR!

ROS, on the other 2 races, I am sure the hills had a pretty big impact. The Campus Hills one was in July, it was hot and I swear they found every hill in the neighborhood. The Druid Hill Park one had 1 downhill mile, 1 flat (around the lake) and then the hills came. I swear they were walls and I know I walked at least 1 of them and even that was a hrd effort. So yea, the hills had a pretty big impact on my time.

GinnyinPA

Congratulations to HC and SD on the PRs.

From the Internet.

Disney HM in 4:12 (not a typo). So much fun with my GFs. Then the fun crashed down when I opened FB and saw 13 earthquakes in PR since midnight including another 6.0. Trying to reach my parents now. MIL is posting in FB so assume she is OK.

So scary  I hope you make contact with your parents soon!

sdWhiskers

sdWhiskers, congrats on the PR!

ROS, on the other 2 races, I am sure the hills had a pretty big impact. The Campus Hills one was in July, it was hot and I swear they found every hill in the neighborhood. The Druid Hill Park one had 1 downhill mile, 1 flat (around the lake) and then the hills came. I swear they were walls and I know I walked at least 1 of them and even that was a hrd effort. So yea, the hills had a pretty big impact on my time.

Congrats to you too!!

Baboon

delicate flower

25:19 which is a 20 sec 5k PR. Woohoo!! Starting off 2020 right.

WOO HOO!!

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

Docket, hope you hear from your parents soon. Did you finish Disney with a margarita?

ROS, do you have a baclava? DH got me one last year and the few days when it is bitter cold here, it made a big difference. Only problem I have with it is when I pull it over my nose, my sunglasses fog up.