Beginners and Beyond

Almost there ThursDAILIES (Read 48 times)

Cyberic

I'll only buy pants that will look good with a black belt. Not that I'm a reference in anything fashion.

onemile

I don't normally wear pants in the office.

+1

onemile

Interesting little article on my news feed this morning:

https://www.runnersworld.com/chicago-marathon/new-qualifying-times-guarantee-entry-to-the-2018-chicago-marathon

For old farts like me, this makes qualifying for Chicago a much more realistic cut-off time.

Which also makes it pretty tempting for me to try to run the Toronto marathon on Sunday.  If I know 3:25 gets me into Chicago next year, it's a goal I can shoot for (not necessarily hit) much more realistically than a BQ (also 3:25, but who knows how much under you will need to be for 2019).

I think this may be a Friday night decision, based upon weather forecast.

looks like BQ time + 5 minutes... for the women's times anyway

onemile

Onemile, http://www.wisn.com/article/another-marathon-mistake-runners-complain-route-was-too-short/13045376

Looks like it was 4,200 feet short . And last year was like a mile too long. Another reason I'm glad I ran Lakefront. I know the Milwaukee Marathon wants to be this "premier" running event in Milwaukee, but it's kind of hard when you can't accurately measure a course...

This event feels very profit driven to me. Over-priced and all marketing hype.  It sucks that the runners can't use it for a BQ. But it was nearly 8/10 of a mile too short and that's a lot.  Had they read anything about last year's race they would have known this was a possibility. Although, you would think after the first screw up they would get their shit together fast.

DavePNW

looks like BQ time + 5 minutes... for the women's times anyway

Similar times, but 10-yr AGs rather than 5. Some exact overlap but some differences (easier in those cases). For Boston men, 50-54 (me) = 3:30 and 55-59 = 3:40. For Chicago, it's 3:40 for all 50-59. I'd have qualified a long time ago. 

Dave

DavePNW

Also, today is the Sports Equinox - at least one game being played in MLB, NFL, NBA, & NHL. I suppose that would be noteworthy if I GAF about regular-season NBA or NHL.

Dave

LRB

This event feels very profit driven to me. Over-priced and all marketing hype.  It sucks that the runners can't use it for a BQ. But it was nearly 8/10 of a mile too short and that's a lot.  Had they read anything about last year's race they would have known this was a possibility. Although, you would think after the first screw up they would get their shit together fast.

It's a tough spot for a runner to be in for sure. For those who ran it both years, I would think they'd be done with it forever.

DavePNW

I'm sure RDs care about this kind of stuff, but I wonder if as much as we'd hope. Probably 90% of runners of any race distance DGAF about BQ, a certified course, or a precise distance measurement. I am of course pulling that percentage out of my ass, but you've all seen the relatively small faction of people that are really racing competitively at any given event. Anyway, we competitive folks don't actually pay any more for our registration, so they'd care a lot more about keeping the 90% happy. Meaning nice medals, shirts, and post-race food & entertainment.

Dave

LRB

I'm sure RDs care about this kind of stuff, but I wonder if as much as we'd hope. Probably 90% of runners of any race distance DGAF about BQ, a certified course, or a precise distance measurement. I am of course pulling that percentage out of my ass, but you've all seen the relatively small faction of people that are really racing competitively at any given event. Anyway, we competitive folks don't actually pay any more for our registration, so they'd care a lot more about keeping the 90% happy. Meaning nice medals, shirts, and post-race food & entertainment.

It's an interesting take. I would tend to disagree with it but seeing how often it happens gives your view way more weight.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The article I read said they had two companies measure and confirm the course was fine.  They are all idiots then.

Damaris

Seems I'm in excellent company regarding the post-dinner-dinner.  Chips and cookies don't do it for me though.  I'll make like 4 scrambled eggs and lace them with cheese, after which it's generally ice cream time.  Runners, stoners, we're all basically the same 

And RunningWithMyDog, my husband makes no attempt at hiding the evidence.  I have a lot of laughs when I come downstairs in the morning and see the aftermath of what went on the night before while I was sleeping.  It's like an archaeological thing, "What random ass thing did hubs make last night?"  I've gotten pretty good at figuring out exactly what he made.  Night before last it was fried string cheese.  He makes no attempt to hide it, or even clean it up.  Along with the string cheese pan, I also threw away an empty ice cream container and an empty box of crackers, and had to put away a partly full box (he needed more apparently when the first ran out).  He's not fat, so whatever, I mostly find it hilarious.

To support my scrambled egg habit, I got in 7 easy this morning.  Then after I got to work, I checked my email and succumbed to the siren song of "$40 off your order of $100+" from Under Armor.  I managed to find stuff on sale and get to $103, so all in all, got $155 worth of stuff for $60, with free shipping.  Which got me thinking about shoes, because like Docket, my faves are D/C so went on a hunt for a color I don't already have that's on sale in my size.  Shockingly, found the best deal on the Asics site, and with a discount code, got me a new pair for $53.  I am now ready for winter!

Except we don't have that.  It was 67 and 85% humidity this morning.  Per usual.  Now I need a snack...

not lazy, just tired

Oh speaking of awful, I finally got to see my race pics from this last Saturday - Oh my god, I am not paying for those awful looking images, the looks on my face are just horrendous. Lol

Here's a gem from my race last Saturday. Must have been thinking of late night snacks.

Not if it makes sense.

KCRuns

My plan was 5 miles during lunch followed by strength training, but my Spotify account was acting funny and I lost some time figuring out I was hacked and had to change all my passwords.  So I only had time for 3.3 before it was time for the trainer.  Today was upper body and core.  As always, she kicked my ass and tomorrow I'm going to have a hard time using my arms.

All this talk of food is making me hungry and I just ate lunch!  I don't snack a lot after dinner.  My problem is during the day after breakfast and lunch.  Since I'm at work without access to my kitchen, that often means candy (my favorite choice) or nuts.  And I buy a large diet coke from McD's in the lobby in the mornings and get free refills, so it's a steady intake of caffeine throughout the day.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Here's a gem from my race last Saturday. Must have been thinking of late night snacks.

I do recognize the INB, mind you!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks to all of you talking about overdoing it with sweets and shit, I ended up getting a dulce shake at Haagen Dazs.  Now I need another marathon to burn all this shit!

Damaris