Beginners and Beyond

Hit by a vehicle.......on my bike this time......I'm at a loss for words... (Read 184 times)

Mmmmm...beer

When running on a road, I run facing traffic. Doesn't everybody do that? Runners are like pedestrians, no? We can use whatever side we want as long as we are not standing in the lane where cars are (which is why I want to see the cars coming in front of me, so that I can move over and be out of their way).

Yup, runners are pedestrians and should face traffic.  Bikes are vehicles and should travel accordingly.  If it had been a car on the wrong side of the road that the truck hit while turning, I don't think we'd be discussing who was at fault.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

Wow.  So glad you weren't more seriously hurt!

Relentless forward progress

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Aaaaaaaaand L & O has spoken! 

I speak for myself.  I do not speak for L&O.  Other contributors in L&O are quite capable of speaking for themselves as individuals.

That you don't like the contents of the message does not make those contents wrong or invalid.

Attempting to discredit what was posted by lumping the contributor in with a group of people deemed to be "less than desirable" instead of countering the message with a reasoned argument based on facts is pretty unoriginal and lacks both maturity and independent thought.  Please work on it.

Lastly, my being grateful you were not more seriously injured was sincere as was my hope you had better success with your new bike.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

happylily

Cookiemonster, I get what you're saying, but I myself felt the following below was a little harsh and not really necessary. But we each have our own style when we write, I understand that as well.

Regarding the brutality experienced at the hands of the cyclists, you pretty much asked for it.  it's actions like yours that make it harder for responsible cyclists.  How did you expect them to react?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Lastly, my being grateful you were not more seriously injured was sincere as was my hope you had better success with your new bike.

Ignoring the likewise inflection in your retort and focusing solely on your genuine concern....thanks!  L & O is often (or was) the butt of less sympathetic view on something over here in the BF (and formerly the RWBF) so it was  truly tongue in cheek.  I take your concern as serious as well, and am also glad I was not seriously injured (or run over) and look forward to the new bike & new week.

Again, I plan to implement what I've learned, treat my new bike like it's invisible to others and grow in the same way I grew, changed routes, changed attitude, etc. in my running career to hopefully get to the point where I had a quite safe & hassle-free running route. (Well, minus being chased by dogs, but at least I can outrun them on the bike) .

Thanks again for all the well wishes....(and Julie for the positional support  Wink.

I'll keep everyone posted here on any significant developments.

Randy

Just B.S.

Again, I plan to implement what I've learned, treat my new bike like it's invisible to others and grow in the same way I grew, changed routes, changed attitude, etc.

---------------

That is the number one thing you need to do as a cyclist to stay safe. Never ever assume they can or do see you.

Being a long time runner and cyclist  I do sometimes get annoyed about the rude comments or jokes about

Cyclists. Until one is a cyclist and has been hit or almost hit by a vehicle it might seem funny to poke  at our

Bright clothing, blinking lights and sidebar mirrors, however when u are a cyclist you know how imortant they really are

To your personal safety.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Oh crap, redrum! I am sorry to hear that. At least you are safe and in one piece. Jeesh, you will have some good luck coming your way, soon I hope.

StepbyStep-SH

Cookiemonster, I get what you're saying, but I myself felt the following below was a little harsh and not really necessary. But we each have our own style when we write, I understand that as well.

Regarding the brutality experienced at the hands of the cyclists, you pretty much asked for it.  it's actions like yours that make it harder for responsible cyclists.  How did you expect them to react?

But don't we complain about how irresponsible/rude runners make all of us look bad?

Anyone who doesn't follow the rules or laws makes other members of their "group" suspect by association. Peer pressure is one way of encouraging all to conform so that "others" don't make unfair assumptions about the entire group.

Glad you are OK, redrum, and I hope you can get the bike replaced and get back on the road soon. I can't imagine how scary it must have been at the time.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

But don't we complain about how irresponsible/rude runners make all of us look bad?

Anyone who doesn't follow the rules or laws makes other members of their "group" suspect by association. Peer pressure is one way of encouraging all to conform so that "others" don't make unfair assumptions about the entire group.

Glad you are OK, redrum, and I hope you can get the bike replaced and get back on the road soon. I can't imagine how scary it must have been at the time.

Rude, irresponsible runners? They exist?  I know what you're saying, Step. But if one of us here was hit by a bike while crossing a bike path, my first words to him would be words of concern. I would not think of preaching to him or letting him know that he is a bad representation of all of us runners. I wouldn't think of saying "You asked for it". But maybe it's just me and I must be wrong.

StepbyStep-SH

Rude, irresponsible runners? They exist?  I know what you're saying, Step. But if one of us here was hit by a bike while crossing a bike path, my first words to him would be words of concern. I would not think of preaching to him or letting him know that he is a bad representation of all of us runners. I wouldn't think of saying "You asked for it". But maybe it's just me and I must be wrong.

Cookie wasn't saying "you asked for it" regarding the accident; he meant that looking for sympathy from other cyclists when he had been in the wrong lane wasn't going to end up with "poor you" comments.

And I think everyone here has offered words of concern, but replied honestly to his question of whether he was in wrong according the laws of the road. Don't we tell our kids "I'm sorry your finger hurts, but you shouldn't touch a hot stove"? Call it tough love.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

Cookie wasn't saying "you asked for it" regarding the accident; he meant that looking for sympathy from other cyclists when he had been in the wrong lane wasn't going to end up with "poor you" comments.

And I think everyone here has offered words of concern, but replied honestly to his question of whether he was in wrong according the laws of the road. Don't we tell our kids "I'm sorry your finger hurts, but you shouldn't touch a hot stove"? Call it tough love.

You're right, Shari.

Randy, I hope the law finds that the trucker was more in the wrong than you were. I don't know the law in your state, but according to some here, it sounds like you may have a chance to win that case. I hope they're right. 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Glad you are okay, I honestly think it is stupid for bikes to obey the same laws as regular vehicles. A bike is barely 10-15 lbs (okay I have no idea how much one weighs), while a vehicle is 500+ lbs. I don't trust people driving, and my roads by my house have no shoulder to them - crazy drivers, especially school bus drivers who will not move over.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Thanks again, gang.  I spoke with the trucker again today & told him I'm going to try for the path of least resistance to start....(sounds like he's not necessarily affluent, though his $40K F350 was certainly not cheap).....but I know he was still genuinely concerned.

Anyway, I was told by an attorney who offered up his advice unsolicited that, in fact, "comparative negligence" is what often prevails in these situations and often goes the way of the cyclist. (interesting)  I wouldn't rely on it, but it certainly sounds like a slightly different tune than what the naysayers were throwing my way yesterday.

Off to pick up the new bike & show the old bike to see what salvage might be possible.

Randy

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

FWIW I'll add my $.02

My first reaction when Phil read me this thread (I was driving) was "OMG is he ok?"

Beyond that, as a cyclist, I say "you were on the wrong side of the road."

As a driver, I would have been the one to call the police and get that on record.

Geographically, some areas of the country are more sympathetic to cyclists than others (regardless of the law).  I don't know where you live but I know where I live and when I was hit, the police took it VERY seriously.  Luckily, I walked away too, however my road bike was destroyed too - and it was 1.92 miles old.  Because I was in the right, my property claim was settled in 4 days.  In CT, it's state law that you have to wait a certain period of time (20 days I think) before you can even discuss a bodily injury claim.  It's to protect the injured from settling too quickly with an insurance company.

All I can suggest is document, document, document - and if you really want to know your rights, this guy is a contributor for bicycling magazine and seems to know is stuff  http://www.amazon.com/Bicycling-Law-Your-Rights-Cyclist/dp/1931382999

But in the end, you lived, and learned a very big lesson, the hard way.

I just hope to God you were wearing a helmet.

edited to add: and always remember this: even if the cyclist has the right of way, in a car vs cyclist accident, the cyclist loses.  Never assume a car sees you.  Always make eye contact with the driver before crossing their path (ie: from a stop sign where you have the right of way) and be deliberate in your signals and do not make sudden unexpected moves.  Don't assume a drivers knows the hand signal for turning left.  Make sure they know you are turning left..

obiebyke

Hey redrum, from your post today, it seems like you're feeling okay? No aches and pains that weren't there yesterday? PHEW!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)