Beginners and Beyond

Hit by a vehicle.......on my bike this time......I'm at a loss for words... (Read 184 times)

Scary.  Glad you are ok, Randy.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Thanks again, gang.  I spoke with the trucker again today & told him I'm going to try for the path of least resistance to start....(sounds like he's not necessarily affluent, though his $40K F350 was certainly not cheap).....but I know he was still genuinely concerned.

Anyway, I was told by an attorney who offered up his advice unsolicited that, in fact, "comparative negligence" is what often prevails in these situations and often goes the way of the cyclist. (interesting)  I wouldn't rely on it, but it certainly sounds like a slightly different tune than what the naysayers were throwing my way yesterday.

Off to pick up the new bike & show the old bike to see what salvage might be possible.

Am I really reading this correctly?  You, the cyclist who was riding the wrong way on the wrong side of the road and who struck the vehicle in question, are really contemplating going after the driver of the truck you hit?

You were on the wrong side of the law and on the wrong side of physics.  Why not just chalk it up to a lesson learned and not try to punish the driver for your mistakes?

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Birdwell

I was hit by a truck (Ford F350 turning right w/ me coming on the left side of the road turning for home). The guy didn't look right, only left & pulled out right in front of me & because the truck was so long I just had nowhere to go. I hit the door & under the truck I went. Fortunately he hit the brakes before I was run over by the rear wheels. I'm scraped, banged up & bloody but otherwise OK.

Immediately traded insurance info w/ the guy who was shaken but didn't think he should do anything as I was riding on the wrong side of the road. Well, duh, I was 2 minutes from the house, I have to cross the street some time.  And I'm on a bicycle and you're in an F350!!!!! 

I

you can do anything you want, of course. Layers will go after anyone as long as you're willing to pay them.

However, I'm thinking it may not be the best idea based on what you've admitted here.

sometimes bad things happen. We can accept responsibility for what we can control, and move on. or not.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Am I really reading this correctly?  You, the cyclist who was riding the wrong way on the wrong side of the road and who struck the vehicle in question, are really contemplating going after the driver of the truck you hit?

You were on the wrong side of the law and on the wrong side of physics.  Why not just chalk it up to a lesson learned and not try to punish the driver for your mistakes?

I'd ask you to find in my post where I said that but it really doesn't matter.  You're a glass half-empty kind of optimist. (yes, that's sarcastic).

I'm simply explaining that there is more than one interpretation of the law in this case.  And we hit "each other" so he hit me as much as I hit him.  If he never advances from his corner (even over the line), we never connect.

But aside from that, you might wanna work on your reading comprehension skills.

P.S.  FWIW, 2 bike-shop employees and 1 customer at the shop today also listened to the entire story & advised that I never assume it's my fault solely.  They rattled off a half dozen stories they've heard in the last year on a similar basis that were found on behalf of the cyclist....(one of the employees included)....and while I don't plan to do anything right now, I'm also not riding the "guilty & that's the end of that" train.

P.P.S.  Yes, MBC, I was and always do wear a helmet, lights, reflective clothing, etc.

Randy

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I'd ask you to find in my post where I said that but it really doesn't matter.  You're a glass half-empty kind of optimist. (yes, that's sarcastic).

I'm simply explaining that there is more than one interpretation of the law in this case.  And we hit "each other" so he hit me as much as I hit him.  If he never advances from his corner (even over the line), we never connect.

But aside from that, you might wanna work on your reading comprehension skills.

P.S.  FWIW, 2 bike-shop employees and 1 customer at the shop today also listened to the entire story & advised that I never assume it's my fault solely.  They rattled off a half dozen stories they've heard in the last year on a similar basis that were found on behalf of the cyclist....(one of the employees included)....and while I don't plan to do anything right now, I'm also not riding the "guilty & that's the end of that" train.

P.P.S.  Yes, MBC, I was and always do wear a helmet, lights, reflective clothing, etc.

Ah yes.  Attack the messenger instead of the message.  Back to that failed tactic, I see.

If you'll note I asked if I was reading you correctly.  About that reading comprehension bit... you might want to work on it yourself.

You did not hit "each other".  You hit him.  You can try to logic your way into making this a joint failure but you won't succeed.  (Well, perhaps you will but only in your own mind.)  Sure, if he hadn't pulled out you wouldn't have hit him.  However, if, from the very beginning, you weren't riding on the wrong side of the road going the wrong way then you wouldn't have hit him, either.

Also, if you want legal advice hire a lawyer instead of relying on anecdote from people on the street.

It started and ended with you.  You were wrong to ride on the wrong side of the road.  You were wrong to travel the wrong way on the wrong side of the road.  You were wrong to fail to maintain control of your vehicle.  Had you done what you were supposed to do from the very beginning it wouldn't matter what the other driver did.

You can't control what other people do.  You can only control your actions.  You chose poorly and were fortunate to not have to pay a higher price than you did.  Man up, accept the responsibility for your actions and move forward from there.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Then let me correct you......No, you are not reading that correctly!

Randy

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Not actually being there and seeing the incident myself, I can hardly give any mildly accurate ruling.

However, based on the description, I have to say I side with Cookie and likely the bikers.

Glad you are not any more injured than you are, and sucks to have lost the bike.

However, if you braced yourself off his door, I fail to see how he hit you, unless that F350 can drive sideways.  Second comment, affluent or not really has no bearing, F350, '70 MGB or brand spanking new Aston Martin Vanquish only matters if you are seeking a cash payout and smell 'da green'.

You clearly have the funds to replace your equipment, accept the responsibility and hope dude doesn't decide to come back at you. He failed to look right, or maybe he just didn't see you or recognize what you were. It happens...

Save your anger, annoyance and energy for the guy who actually tries to run you over.

Just a thought. Be thankful the driver was in control of his vehicle enough to not run you over.

He could have been drunk with blood alcohol .287 90 minutes after the incident. And you might not be posting today. (those people did live)

Really sorry you weren't hurt seriously esp. since it could have been much worse. Ride / run defensively. Flesh always loses to tons of steel.

(I bring these up since Anchorage did have a fatal cyclist accident last week, after getting through all of 2013 with no fatalities. Pedestrian fatalities are also an issue, but many involve alcohol on part of pedestrian)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Then let me correct you......No, you are not reading that correctly!

You almost seem, like you're not taking any of this advice seriously.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Oh, I am.  I simply wanted to advise folks that I was told by more than 1 person (including an attorney and bike shop folk themselvs, one of whom had personal experience) that there's not necessarily one angle of guilt.  I have no intention of "going after" the guy.

I have accepted the situation......."manned up" so to speak and am simply advising that other folks have expressed that even going opposing traffic, there are at least several situations where the cyclist was favored.

But the only real advice given here anyway, is to "man up".  That's not really advice, that's just obvious and a little less than sympathetic, I might add, regardless of the validity.

I already took the new bike out last night and am looking into options for the old bike.  I've upped the level of safety precautions I'm now taking while riding in several ways including clothing, accessories and riding style.  Primarily patience at intersections.  All of these things are true advice.

I am very thankful that I was not more seriously hurt.  (I think I've discovered a bruised rib or pectoral muscle as weights last night was not fun, but this, too, I'll survive).

It's al good.

Randy

Love the Half

I am an attorney and in any situation, there is a question of what is called "comparative negligence."

If you think about it, very few accidents ever happen unless both parties were negligent in some degree.  If I am a driver, I have an obligation to look both ways before I turn regardless of the direction in which I am turning.  Why?  Because if I am turning right and only look to my left, it is entirely foreseeable that I could hit a pedestrian.  If I fail to look to the right, I am negligent regardless of whether I hit a pedestrian or a cyclist or another car.  I still failed to exercise the level of care expected.  Does that mean I'm at fault?  No.

Next, we have to examine the actions of the person I hit.  What was he or she doing?  Was that person paying attention?  If it was a cyclist or an automobile, what was the cyclist or the automobile doing on the wrong side of the road?  How fast were they traveling?

Assuming it went to a jury, which it never would, it would be up to the jury to assess percentages of negligence.  So, let's assume the cyclist sued the driver for $1,000 and the jury decided that the driver was 75% responsible and the cyclist 25% responsible.  The jury would award the cyclist $1,000 in damages but the court would reduce that to $750.  If the jury decided that the cyclist was more than 50% responsible, he would recover nothing.

From a practical perspective, I'd sure as hell make a claim against the driver's insurance policy.  They'll buck it but I think it's unlikely in the extreme that they'd rather fight it instead of writing a check for at least half the value of the bike and you'd be silly not to file the claim.

Of course, just to cover my ass, the above constitutes personal opinion rather than legal advice.  I know nothing about the laws in other jurisdictions.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

RSX

Sorry that happened and glad you're okay. I skimmed so sorry if I missed it but have you been to a doctor just to be sure?

As far as being on the wrong side of the road, I live in a town where half of the bike riders must do this. A # of them, I assume this is their means of transportation and for some reason not many have helmets . A # of the rest who do this are probably heading to the bIke path.

As a driver I don't assume I have no negligence if I hit any of them. I also try to anticipate problems as I drive through town. I have more close calls with bikers who go the right way for some reason especially during rush hour.

It wouldn't hurt to consult an attorney. There should be no fee in this situation from what I understand.

Hip Redux

Just in case anyone is curious, this video shows first the Don'ts and then the Do's of sharing lanes.

http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/animations/lane-control/

(the other animations are also useful)

music_girl117

I'm very glad you are ok!  I don't know anything about legal stuff, but I'm thinking of possible defensive measures.  I know it happened really fast, but if I am picturing this correctly, a sharp 90 degree turn to your left would have put you parallel to, and in front of, the car and helped avoid the crash, right?  Perhaps that might work if you find yourself in a similar situation sometime?

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

#artbydmcbride

(((redrum)))  I am glad you are okay.

Runners run