Beginners and Beyond

Hit by a vehicle.......on my bike this time......I'm at a loss for words... (Read 184 times)

SheCan

Wow, redrum, I think considering the circumstances that you're taking it very well;  its only human to want to vent about it.  I'm glad you were not badly hurt and are able to get a new bike.  Please stay safe.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

And look at it this way.  The odds of getting hit by a car really aren't that great - so you should be good for a while.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

And look at it this way.  The odds of getting hit by a car really aren't that great - so you should be good for a while.

In Miami, the odds are high.

Damaris

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

In Miami, the odds are high.

LOL.....yikes!

Thanks for the sympathies guys.  I just thought that people would be a little less, "well, suck it up & deal" but I get it.  It's an Internet forum.

Stuff's definitely hurtin' more than yesterday.  (Ouch!)  But I'll survive.

After learning that carbon fiber is not something to gamble with, I'm very glad I didn't decide to buy a $10K full road race bike.  You crack CF and it's game-over.  I got to hear the stories of guys buying $8-$10K bikes, crashing and having to rebuy because there's really nothing that can be done. (A little further scrutiny but my CF forks may, in fact be useable which would be cool even if only as a spare part)

Tomorrow, I find out if the ortho will condone me running again!!  Then maybe we can ditch all this bicycle talk & completely forget the idea of something as ridiculous as a TRIATHLON!!   

Randy

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

A bike can cost TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS?! I just spit out my wine. Now I am glad I'm not a cyclist.....is that at all normal or really top of the line? I've been kind of wanting a bike but haven't done any research. I feel so niave.....I would have thought a bike cost maybe $200 or $300....maybe $800-$900 for a really nice one man am I clueless!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

A bike can cost TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS?! I just spit out my wine. Now I am glad I'm not a cyclist.....is that at all normal or really top of the line? I've been kind of wanting a bike but haven't done any research. I feel so niave.....I would have thought a bike cost maybe $200 or $300....maybe $800-$900 for a really nice one man am I clueless!!

That's top of the line.   I'd say most semi-serious cyclists are probably in the $2-7K range.   We have a lot invested in our bikes, but they are fun.  Smile  Professionals would be looking at bikes in the $10K+ range.

A decent bike can be had for $800-1200.

LRB

I just spit out my wine.

Here I haven't had nary a sip of my delicious nectar in three weeks and you are spitting it out?  Don't make me clown up in here, up in here!

I paid $300.00 for my bike, but it's not fit to race an old lady in a wheelchair 40 yards. 

Just B.S.

That's top of the line.   I'd say most semi-serious cyclists are probably in the $2-7K range.   We have a lot invested in our bikes, but they are fun.  Smile  Professionals would be looking at bikes in the $10K+ range.

A decent bike can be had for $800-1200.

Hubby and I raced the tri in ottawa in august where the amateur had his $10,000 bike stolen

From transition while he was running. Our bikes were in the next racking area. Don't know if that

was heard about in the US but it was all over the tri communities in Canada.

I will never spend that kind of $$$$ on a bike because I could never do it justice but it did prompt us

To take photos of our $2,000+ x  2 investments and register our serial numbers with our insurance

Company and local police dept.

Of course I had always known I should do that but had never bothered until then.

Hip Redux

Yikes, that sucks!  There certainly are amateurs who own bikes that expensive, but it's not really commonplace - except probably in triathlons, because those people tend to love all sorts of expensive gear.  Big grin

We were at a little local sprint tri and this guy had a bike that was rumored to be $11K.    Eek.

LRB

Yeah it is their money to spend so I have no problem with it.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Lol LRB.

So....a normal person's bike would not indeed cost more than twice as much as my first car.....that is a relief. I'm kind of disappointed I can't get a bike for a couple hundred though....I really had no concept. I mean....I don't know where I'd PUT a bike but I'd kind of like to have one. My mom stole mine that I used to have from middle and high school...it was barely touched since I went away to college and then got my own apartment after so she decided she wanted to start exercising last year and claimed it as her own. I've been playing with the idea of getting one for some time but living in NYC I'd be TERRIFIED to ride it on the streets and in a teeny apartment I don't know where it would go.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

An older guy I know competed in a duathalon during the summer on his $100, 30yo 10 speed, placed 3rd OA.

Now don't let that fool you, he worked his ass off on the bike and didn't do well, but the dude is one hell-ova fast runner (87.xx% age graded runner) and made up all his time running and transition.

(all he had to do was rack his bike and drop his helmet - he was already wearing his running/ race togs.)

Just B.S.

Yikes, that sucks!  There certainly are amateurs who own bikes that expensive, but it's not really commonplace - except probably in triathlons, because those people tend to love all sorts of expensive gear.  Big grin

We were at a little local sprint tri and this guy had a bike that was rumored to be $11K.    Eek.

There are quite a few big $$$$ bikes amongst tri folk here and a few of our friends.

A couple I know of around $8,000.

We have a few locals who have been top age groupers ar Kona and other big races

So obviously they are pretty serious about it.

Scares the crap out of  me in a race every time those disc wheels come zoomimg by lapping

me with their "whoop whoop"

StepbyStep-SH

Lol LRB.

So....a normal person's bike would not indeed cost more than twice as much as my first car.....that is a relief. I'm kind of disappointed I can't get a bike for a couple hundred though....I really had no concept. I mean....I don't know where I'd PUT a bike but I'd kind of like to have one. My mom stole mine that I used to have from middle and high school...it was barely touched since I went away to college and then got my own apartment after so she decided she wanted to start exercising last year and claimed it as her own. I've been playing with the idea of getting one for some time but living in NYC I'd be TERRIFIED to ride it on the streets and in a teeny apartment I don't know where it would go.

If you just want something to pedal around, not necessarily do real "cycling" on, check local bike shops for something used and get a hybrid. DH and I paid less than $300 each for ours. They aren't real road bikes and not top end, but they are a step up from something you'd buy in a big box store and work fine for our occasional outings of just a few miles. I think the most we've done is 40 miles.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

Lol LRB.

Have you thought of a unicycle, Kristin? Easy to story in your apartment and easy to carry in the subway. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010