Beginners and Beyond

Am I the only one that doesn't like figure skating? (Read 105 times)

Little Blue

I admire the grace and artistry.  Especially since I can't jog in a straight line without falling down (fact).  Mostly I don't care much for the music.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Gymnastics is right up there with figure skating in terms of how much I dislike being subjected to it.

In my eyes, it's a "performance".

Ugh, why are we still friends, again????? 

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Having said that, I watched figure skating and the skiathlon today.  Loved that ski "marathon".  Awesome finish.

Damaris

Will run for scenery.

My two most don't-wanna-watch-it events in the winter Olympics are ice prancing and stoner-boarding.  I've tried tuning in 3 times so far and I'm 3 for 3.

I am so looking forward to the downhill skiing and the ski jump.  No music , no cheesy gimmicks, just red-line terror and perfection.

I can get into any kind of racing or team vs. team events. And I even like gymnastics (without the music).

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

The last skating performance I enjoyed was Tonya Harding.

catwhoorg

Labrat

I have a very definitive line.

If there is judging involved its not a sport. Sport is about fastest, furthest, # of goals/points etc.

Zero interpretation in the final outcome (though the rules along the way may be more open).

6.0 or 5.9 ? sorry thats opinion, not sport.

That said a lot of those events that are judged on their merits are incredible athletic and demanding.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The last skating performance I enjoyed was Tonya Harding.

Which performance?  The bash to the knee or the one on the ice?

Damaris

RSX

Last time I watched was for Kerrigan and Harding. That wasn't because I liked the sport.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I can't stand figure skating. Give me luge, skeleton, bobsled, and downhill.

onemile

I much prefer skiing,  snowboarding and speed skating.

Love the Half

If there is judging involved its not a sport. Sport is about fastest, furthest, # of goals/points etc.

Zero interpretation in the final outcome (though the rules along the way may be more open).

That said a lot of those events that are judged on their merits are incredible athletic and demanding.

I disagree about it not being a sport as I recognize both skaters and snowboarders as incredible athletes.  Having said that, the subjective aspect of the judging turns me off to no end.  With diving, at least there is some multiplier based on the level of difficulty of the dive being attempted.  I say all that yet I like boxing.  I recognize the inherent inconsistency in those viewpoints and choose not to attempt a reconciliation.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Little Blue

No love for curling?

Hip Redux

I disagree about it not being a sport as I recognize both skaters and snowboarders as incredible athletes.  Having said that, the subjective aspect of the judging turns me off to no end.  With diving, at least there is some multiplier based on the level of difficulty of the dive being attempted.  I say all that yet I like boxing.  I recognize the inherent inconsistency in those viewpoints and choose not to attempt a reconciliation.

There is at least some head-to-head competition (or is it fist-to-fist) aspect to boxing.

Cirque du Soleil takes a lot of athletic ability.  It doesn't mean I want to see it as an Olympic sport either. lol

DavePNW

College football: until now, not a sport -- championship determined by a vote.

Dave

Hip Redux

College football: until now, not a sport -- championship determined by a vote.

You mean who plays the game, not who WINS the game?  While we can debate the pros/cons of the BCS etc, they don't win by a judge voting.