Beginners and Beyond

Am I the only one that doesn't like figure skating? (Read 105 times)

Hip Redux

Has anyone seen Tonya Harding lately? 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I like the artistic aspects of figure skating.   The music, the choreography, and all that.

Yeah, I know I'm a dude and all, but still...

Me too.  It's an athletic/artistic performance.  I'm just kind of sorry they have to try to apply objective judging to it.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Watched the 30 for 30: The Price of Gold on ESPN a couple of weeks ago. Very interesting/entertaining. Poor Tanya, she's still unbelievably bitter to this day and considers herself the victim of the whole thing. 

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I just googled her and the picture that came up is, um, not flattering.

Sad really.

http://www.tonyaharding.com/

Baboon

delicate flower

Looks like she is a few Big Macs past being able to pull off an Iron Lotus.

<3

Looks like she is a few Big Macs past being able to pull off an Iron Lotus.

Be warned. The Iron Lotus demands your respect.

RSX

I was gonna let that one slide by.  lol  No one here could believe it at the time, Lord knows we generate enough bad press on our own but that was truly bizarre.

I guess I need to follow the sport more. I just googled it and you guys are right.

Love the Half

Tonya shows up frequently on TruTV's "World's Dumbest" segments.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Zelanie

Tonya shows up frequently on TruTV's "World's Dumbest" segments.

Making Oregon proud.

GinnyinPA

I love the Olympics.  I pretty much watch everything shown in prime time.  I get tired of the asinine commentary, but I love the athleticism and the artistry.  Having watched Olympics for about half a century, I am always struck by how much has changed: new events likethe snowboarding and women's ski jumping, new and incredibly difficult elements in the figure skating, incredible speed and control thanks to advances in equipment and training.  The winning performances of 20 or 30 years ago wouldn't even get you in the door today.  I find it painful to watch the falls, over and over and over, but I am impressed by the way the athletes are always pushing the envelope.

Speaking of Tanya and Nancy - that was one of the things that totally turned me off the media.  I remember the news reporters clustered outside the gym where they were practicing and stating breathlessly, "We don't know what's happening inside, but we'll stay here and report on it if anything does happen."  And every 5 minutes they reported back, "Nothing is happening here."

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I love the Olympics.  I pretty much watch everything shown in prime time.  I get tired of the asinine commentary, but I love the athleticism and the artistry.  Having watched Olympics for about half a century, I am always struck by how much has changed: new events likethe snowboarding and women's ski jumping, new and incredibly difficult elements in the figure skating, incredible speed and control thanks to advances in equipment and training.  The winning performances of 20 or 30 years ago wouldn't even get you in the door today.  I find it painful to watch the falls, over and over and over, but I am impressed by the way the athletes are always pushing the envelope.

Speaking of Tanya and Nancy - that was one of the things that totally turned me off the media.  I remember the news reporters clustered outside the gym where they were practicing and stating breathlessly, "We don't know what's happening inside, but we'll stay here and report on it if anything does happen."  And every 5 minutes they reported back, "Nothing is happening here."

Haha.  I remember that too.  I wonder if they were expecting Nancy to hit her with a hockey stick or what.

When Tonya was whining about her shoe at the Olympics, that was my favorite.  But it came undone, whawhawhawha.

Damaris

LRB

I guess I need to follow the sport more.

Oh gosh no.  I actually found out from someone else.    

happylily

I'm just so proud of any Canadians we send to the Olympics... I don't care what discipline they're in, I watch just to see them. Canada is #1 at the moment, with 3 gold medalists from Quebec. I couldn't be prouder. I know first place won't last, but for now, WE RULE! 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

catwhoorg

Labrat

I'm happy the UK got its first* 'on-snow' medal this year.

21 previously olympic medals all on ice (skating, ice hockey, curling, luge/skeleton and bobsleigh)

*Alain Baxter's doesn't count as he was stripped for a positive test (likely accidental but 100% accountability)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Gray Runner

Running Bear

Then you haven't been watching Kaetlyn Osmond.  WOW!

Upcoming races:  
                                Mt. Cheaha 50K 2/22
                                Georgia Death race 100K 3/15-16
                                Sweetwater 50K 4/12
                                Cruel Jewel 100 5/16-17
                                Make It By Midnight FM 7/XX
                                H9 50 mile 8/9
                                Georgia Jewel 100 9/27
                                Pacing at Pinhoti 100 11/XX
                                Dunkin Ridge Trail 50K 11/XX
                                Lookout Mtn 50 mile 12/20