Beginners and Beyond

What three weeks of nothing does to your body (Read 91 times)

Hip Redux

Today was the three week mark from surgery.   I've been doing modified push ups and dips and things like the arm bike for upper body but obviously I can't do diddly squat for lower body except walk in the pool and the like (which ain't much).

My operated leg has atrophied and I measured about a 1/2" difference in muscle mass to the good leg.   Today at the gym I did planks and I could not do more than ten seconds up on my feet.  I alternated between on my feet and on my knees, which I've never had to do.

Sort of amazing to think it really hasn't been that long!

Here's some depressing news about muscle atrophy:

The science of atrophy

Skeletal muscle atrophy, the consequence of depriving muscles of normal activity, has a profound impact on orthopaedic patients after injury, immobilization, and surgery. Recovery of muscle mass and function greatly extends the rehabilitation period, and some patients never fully recover the full use of their muscles.

Muscle atrophy can begin after only a few days of disuse, and the extent of atrophy depends on the duration of disuse. At the cellular level, pathologic changes include the shrinkage of muscle fibers, the loss of nuclei from multinucleated muscle cells, and apoptosis.

So basically what I'm saying is get off your butts and do something if you can.  LOL

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats on the three weeks mark.  I remember the first time I tried doing pushups and situps after surgery.  Ouch, those ab muscles were tight and non elastic.  They had forgotten what it was to move!

I am sure you will see results soon.  Good luck!

Damaris

happylily

I'm disappointed. I thought this was going to be a before and after picture thread. :-)

Three weeks only and atrophy already? That is damn scary... But I'm sure you will regain all of your normal muscle tone very quickly, Oski. Chin up, lady!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

That sucks.  What has your doctor said about increasing your daily protein intake?  Would doing so help compensate?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sorry you can't run or do anything for the lower body Sad

If it makes you feel better, I'll give it my best tomorrow to beat my current PR. When I feel like slowing down, I'll think of you and push harder.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Hip Redux

Sorry you can't run or do anything for the lower body Sad

If it makes you feel better, I'll give it my best tomorrow to beat my current PR. When I feel like slowing down, I'll think of you and push harder.

Thanks!! Go get 'em.

LRB - I've been almost religious with my protein shakes with glutamine. I feel like I'm good protein-wise, it's just hard when you are off the leg.   I've started almost full weight-bearing, so I think things will start to get better.

LRB

Got it, and I will now attempt to lose a half inch off my gut. 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

We need some space in here: Atrophy => A  trophy.  Now continue the good work on your way there.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hip Redux

We need some space in here: Atrophy => A  trophy.  Now continue the good work on your way there.

Perfect!  Big grin

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Oski, how long will it be before you're able to start applying some stress to the leg muscles again? I suppose that depends on your individual case, but you will get it back.

I know that in my 2 months of not running, I lost a great deal of wind, and I still am not at the level I was last fall. My 5K pace is more than 30 seconds slower than what was my half marathon pace back then. But it keeps getting better (now, if my knee would cooperate more).

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

B-Plus

Good for you for getting in some tough work. Hope you're running real soon.

Hip Redux

Tom -  at the six week mark I should be off crutches entirely.  And I should start weening off the pool therapy in the next two weeks and moving into more strength-type stuff.

Love the Half

I was out for six weeks and, despite doing what I thought was a fair amount of swimming and biking, my first run back was remarkably difficult.  My lungs were screaming at me within half a mile and my legs felt like rubber.  I was shocked at how tough it was.  I'm now three weeks back and I'm struggling to put in 40 miles this week (and none of it has been speed work) and that used to be a cutback week.  But, I'm gradually improving and you will as well.  The general guideline I've heard, and I think it's fairly accurate, is that it will take you twice the amount of time you were off to get back to where you were.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The general guideline I've heard, and I think it's fairly accurate, is that it will take you twice the amount of time you were off to get back to where you were.

That would help explain why runners who take off for 20 years after HS never get back to running their HS times. They'd be 78 years old by then.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

After my surgery in November, I was on crutches for 6 weeks same as you.  I measured a full 1" less in thigh diameter from my affected leg (which was in a hip brace and carried no weight) compared to my other when they were disposed.  After 4 months of normal activity, (walking, squatting, daily activities) leg diameters were the same.  Unfortuantely the non-injured leg lost 1/2" of muscle mass from lack of running.

I started back with 3 mile runs upping to 5 miles.  My 3 weeks were 10mi/12mi/18mi.   I developed PF during that time so now I am an additional 2 weeks on the bench and looking at perhaps 2 more to lick the problem.

I can only stress that you need to take it easy starting out, dynamic stretches and the like if you have an extended period such as several months of non-running.  Glad to hear you are rehabbing well, I bet you are developing some solid guns!!