Beginners and Beyond

A Long Penguin Weekend (Read 25 times)

tracilynn

Ugh. Shin was tender yesterday afternoon. I assume it's run streak plus different stress on the legs from running so much slower than I'm used to yesterday. Undecided right now as to whether I should go out for 1 mile later just to keep the streak going or break the streak already and take the day totally off (which would be my preference with a cranky shin).

Maybe that's why I always have shin splints bc I always run so slow.

Dont jeopardize how well your running is going now with some dumb game on the interwebz.  It's not worth it.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

I did 6.3M yesterday half on trails. Gonna do 3M in a minute after my eggs n bacon settle down.

Shopping today and taking my twins to a Frozen themed Elsa royal BDAY party later.

robert - who are you FEing with today?

~~~~~~~

Traci

From the Internet.

Dont jeopardize how well your running is going now with some dumb game on the interwebz.  It's not worth it.

That's true. The whole point of the streak is to keep running when weather and holiday season make it easy to make excuses not to run, and to make December your highest mileage month of the year. Pushing too much and making an achy shin worse isn't going to help me accomplish either of those. Leaning toward taking today off and see how it is tomorrow - the last couple times it was sore like this one day of rest was enough to get it back to normal, hopefully that will be the case. Feels OK right now but not 100%, like if I run later it might flare up again.

tracilynn

Maybe run your one mile today FAST since running slow tweaks it and then see how it feels tomorrow then decide on streaking or not. I dunno.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

+1, at least 1. More, probably.

Heading out for 10 or 11 in a nice light rain. Today could be "decorating day." I think I can handle it.

PADRunner

7.5 done today. 1 warmup 1 tempo 4 easy 1 tempo and a little cool down.

I think that's how I got hurt last years was the streak. Running when I shouldn't have been. Maybe get out and walk a mile (at the mall).

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Holiday streak extended to 4 (actually 6).  Conditions held and we got 11 miles in.  Slow but got it done.  Time for more decorating.

Take care of that shin Lauren.

Enjoy what is left of the long weekend.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

LRB and all ya'll (that's Texas talk!) other 'real winter' folks woulda been so proud.  18 degrees - "feels like" 12 degrees - when I walked out the front door of my in-laws' house this Sunday morning at 8:30 a.m.  At least it was nice and sunny!  I did 3.7 miles.  It took me a while - 42:17, averaging 11-something per mile - because there were some various icy/slippery patches on the roads at certain points, which slowed me down to a crawl to make sure I didn't go slip-slidin' away down the road.  I wore one of my long-sleeved 'cancer' shirts with 3 base layers underneath.  .Got a little chilly when I stopped to take some photos - which I will post when I get back home this week - but felt quite comfortable when I was running and walking. All in all, a pretty nice cold-weather outing for this lovin'-warm-weather-running Texas dog.  So I guess some occasional winter running isn't ALL that bad...but I'll still be glad to get back to the warm Texas sunshine. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

.  So I guess some occasional winter running isn't ALL that bad...but I'll still be glad to get back to the warm Texas sunshine. 

...but 4 months of winter running SUCKS    !!!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, if you have to run on a TM, PAD, that sounds like a fun way to do it.  Are you getting bad weather up there in North Texas?  I sure am hoping after all this Washington State cold weather that is is nice and sunny when I get back to San Antonio!

Holiday streak, Jerry?  You're running only wearing a Santa cap?     Way to get those miles in!

Nice running, Lauren.   Hope your shin feels better soon!

It's flippin' 22 degrees now where I am, Damaris..I could use some Cocoa myself!

Nice to have a park by your apartment, sapf, very convenient!  Where are you located.  If you don't want to say, I understand.  Just curious.

Is winter in Oregon that bad that you need a TM, Z?  I always thought  Oregon had mild winters.  As you can tell, I know very little about Oregon.

Sorry about the soreness, Ginny!  Hope that resolves quickly!  Race?  Did I miss the report?  I'll have to go back and check.  Congrats on your race!

Happy Penguin FE today (Sunday), Robert!

Happy B'Day party today, Traci!   Eggs n bacon...yummy!  I had something today for breakfast called "French Toast Bagels."  Never had them before.  Actually tasted quite good and did have a 'french toast' taste.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

...but 4 months of winter running SUCKS    !!!!

Exactly!  That's why I live in San Antonio and only go to 'winter country' when I absolutely have to.  Why couldn't my FIL have been born in July instead of November?  

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Scotty - I live in NYC on the waterfront in Queens.  It is pretty nice here - a lot less busy than Manhattan but I can be at Grand Central Station in about 10 minutes, which is nice.

Heading out for 4 miles shortly.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Robert31320

Team TJ

Kristin.  She is flying out of Savannah this evening and we're going over to the airport to meet her.  That's too close to not go!

I did 6.3M yesterday half on trails. Gonna do 3M in a minute after my eggs n bacon settle down.

Shopping today and taking my twins to a Frozen themed Elsa royal BDAY party later.

robert - who are you FEing with today?

Running for TJ because he can't.

PADRunner

Well, if you have to run on a TM, PAD, that sounds like a fun way to do it.  Are you getting bad weather up there in North Texas?  I sure am hoping after all this Washington State cold weather that is is nice and sunny when I get back to San Antonio!

It definitely makes it more interesting and bearable. If you hurry back it will be warm. 78 right now.60 overnight. supposed to drop to the 40s tomorrow but be back to the 70s by next weekend.

Dallas Marathon 12/14 extended forecast: Partly cloudy 48-65!

GinnyinPA

PAD - are you running the marathon?  Good work on your medium long/tempo run.

Scotty - WTG, running in those temps.  OTOH, at family gatherings, it may be necessary to get a break from the togetherness, so maybe running in the icebox was better than staying inside all day every day. I didn't do a formal RR, just mentioned it on Thursday's penguin dailies.

Lauren - I'm sorry your shin is hurting.  Take it easy.

Traci - have fun at the kid's birthday party.  I hope your three went well.

Robert - say hi to Kristin for us all.

Jack - I hope your wet run went well.  At least it's warm there.

Jerry - good job on the LR.  How cold was it?

sapf - I hope your four went well.

AFM:  warmish day here (57), so a good one for a LR - 10.8 miles done.  Still hurting, but not as much.  Trying to decide whether to sign up for the Christmas Cash Dash next weekend.  It's a fun one, I hear, with lots of folks dressed up to celebrate the holidays.  I was supposed to do it last year, but couldn't because I was coming back from injury.  If I run it for fun, I won't win any AG awards, but I'd still get to see the costumes.  OTOH, I know me, I don't take it easy at races and 10k is a long one when you're hurting.