Beginners and Beyond

Tattonement Tuesday Penguins (Read 26 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Tatonnement: experimentation; trial and error

Right up the runner's alley, huh?  We sure do a lot of experimentation in trying to find out what works and what doesn't for our running lives.

Tatonnement actually started  as an auction in which participants were together bidding and selling assets at many different prices.

So what ongoing 'tatonnement' do you have right now?

I got lazy yesterday and went home after work instead of doing my weight training circuit.   Gail and I did do a 10 pm late evening walk around the neighborhood  of  about a mile. It was very pleasant, lots of start out, a nice little breeze blowing, 68 degrees and low humidity.

Today after work, at 6:30 pm, I am doing the April Fools 5K at a local park.  However, since it's April Fools, it MAY be a 5K or it may be longer...or shorter....and there may be some 'surprises' along the course...so the race description says.

The Phillies spoiled opening day yesterday for my Texas Rangers by coming from behind and beating them.  Phillie Fan should be happy.

Dad on the run.

Hey Penguin friends! I finished the month with 108 miles. That's a personal best and the first time I've ever ran over 100 miles in a month. I'm feeling pretty good about it and I start my 10k training today, looking for that sub 50min.

Yesterday I ran with some friends from work and we ran around the University of Alabama and down "The Strip" it was a very nice run albeit a little hot after all this cooler weather we have been getting.

We decided to take the dogs down to the field near our house Sunday and I figured I would get me some updated pics of the boys! Follow the link for boxer cuteness!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24211418@N06/sets/72157643241846773/

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 8 with strides tonight.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

BTW....

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY!

Congrats, Jimmy, on the miles for the month!   Beautiful dogs!  I like the last photo...that's almost exactly what I look like after I finish a run, lol, tongue hanging out....

Good luck with the strides, Damaris.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

First time in 9 years got in an traffic jam going to work this morning.  Took me 15 minutes and I was late for work !!!

The husband of our (DW's) niece probably would be more than happy to trade problems with me.  Sunday, he fell 3 stories from a balcony on the ASU campus.  He survived and is not paralyzed.  Broken vertebrae and internal injuries and an obviously long recovery.  Cherie, you might have read about it down there.  So shocking, and they just got married 2 years ago and everything was going so well for them.   Praying for him and our niece.

Zelanie

Jerry- Hoping for the best for nephew-in-law.

Running late, but have 6.5 planned tonight after a late meeting.  Zoe gets her staples out today, and it's also her 5th birthday. Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, I got a walloping four minute walk yesterday, as I saw my service rep heading toward my lab, so I cut things short to meet up with him.  And then we worked until it was time to go home, so oh well.  Maybe today!!  And I was thinking on my drive in, since my knee is still bugging me even walking, maybe I'll spend some time on my stationary bike.  I'm a little limited in my options since I won't join a gym, but the stationary bike resides happily in our home office.

scotty -- you really want to know what tatonnement I have going on?  Well, I have samples of tooth bacteria that I need to analyze the proteins and their comparative levels of abundance.  I think I have three sample sets at this point.  And I have samples from this organism that lives in still waters -- it works its way up through your nose into your brain, secretes a toxin, and you die.  There's no cure, but the investigators are working to discover what the toxin is made of.   I have two sets of that.  Woo-hoo!!

jblack -- sounds like a great mileage month!!

Docket -- enjoy your 8 and strides!!

Jerryb -- wow, sounds like he's really lucky to be alive and looking toward recovery!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Zelanie -- happy birthday to Zoe!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Philliefan33

The Phillies spoiled opening day yesterday for my Texas Rangers by coming from behind and beating them.  Phillie Fan should be happy.

Yes!  Although the Phillies were up 6-0 before the Rangers went ahead 7-6, so technically the Rangers came from behind to make it a ballgame.  By the final score (14-10 for those of you not paying close attention) one would think it was a football game.

Jerry -- that's terrible about your nephew-in-law!  But also lucky -- not that he fell, but that there was no paralysis or traumatic head injury.  To put it in perspective, there was an incident around here a few years ago where a man fell off his porch roof -- maybe 9 feet at most.  He appeared to be fine after the accident, even got up on his own and was walking around.  After about thirty minutes things went downhill, and three hours later he was dead from a head injury.

Jimmy -- congrats on the 100+ miles.  That is a nice milestone.  Now you can work on a 100+ mile/month streak if you want.

DR -- Seems as if you are right back in the saddle -- way to go.

AFM  -- The wind was blowing pretty hard when I got home yesterday and I was tempted to skip my run to stay in and watch the end of the Philles game, but knowing that I was 3.2 miles short of 70 miles for March was enough motivation to get me out the door.  I felt pretty good once I got warmed up, so ended up with 4.3 miles at faster-than-typical pace.  Today I plan 5-6 miles after work -- and if the weatherman is correct the temps should be in the low 60's with sun.  Woo hoo!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Overnight rain makes this guy happy. It should be nice and cool today for my SRD (though I will probably jog a few easy miles). DW and both DDs are on spring break this week so the house was QUIET this morning when I left. My break is not until after Easter so I still have a few weeks to go. At least I will be able to watch the Boston Marathon in peace.

Have a good day.

hog4life

Jerry, sad news, I hope he recovers okay.

Jimmy, those were some great pics, I seen them on FB yesterday.

8.17 miles for me, 4 of them at tempo. I'll do one more easy run tomorrow, then take a couple of RD's before Saturday.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm really crunched for time, but the chiropractor was really helpful.  I could barely get out of a chair this morning.  It was actually an accumulation of old problems.  The crazy part is that for the first time in months my calves are relaxed.  Good stuff.  I'm always impressed that a good chiropractor can tell me about a bunch of problems I'm having before I tell him about them.  It could be a game changer this weekend.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

GinnyinPA

Scotty - enjoy your race tonight.  I remember this one from last year.  Looking forward to your RR.

Jimmy - congratulations on breaking 100 miles.  That's a good milestone.

Damaris - have fun on your 8 this evening.

Jerry - I'm sorry to hear about your niece's husband.  I hope he heals all right.

Mel - happy birthday to Zoe.  Enjoy your evening run.  I'm sure she'll be happy to have the stitches out.

HM - my husband's doctor recommended that he use the stationary bike to loosen and strengthen his bad knee.  He says it helps.

Margo - good job getting out yesterday, despite the wind and the game.  I hope you get the good weather tonight that they forecast.

Jack - enjoy your run later.  I'm glad you got more rain.

Mitch - sounds like you'll be ready for your race this weekend.  Enjoy your tempo run.

Awood - I hope the chiro. was able to do some lasting good for your back.  Bad timing for it to go out.

AFM:  I'm planning to do a long run today.  The forecast was for sunny and warm, but when I looked at the weather site before I was heading out it said, "Rain starts in 59 minutes."  And sure enough, there's a line of thunderstorms heading our way.  I'm hoping it's a fast moving system, so I can go out afterwards.  We'll see.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Just got some news about a friend, Ed.  Ed is an amazing guy.  At 83 years old last year he did the San Antonio Rock n Roll Half Marathon.  I often see him at a lot of local events and, although he has slowed down considerably, he is like the Energizer Bunny and just keeps going and going and going.   He does not do as many races as some of us but last year, at 83 years old, he did do a lot of events, I think it was  40-something races over the year that he did.

Our 'local race crowd'  of his friends and running buddies has not seen him in a while and this aftertnoon we found out why. He was having some medical issues and was staying 'low-key' while dealing with them.  Today we got an email from another friend who finally got hold of Ed.  Ed had surgery last week for a malignant brain tumor and is now in an Austin treatment facility for followup chemo, etc.   Please think good thoughts for this really great guy and indomitable-spirited Texas runner.