Beginners and Beyond

How frequently do you hit your race goals? (Read 71 times)

music_girl117

I was just thinking about this today.  If you hit every goal you set for every race, then your goals are likely too soft, right?  And likewise, if you always miss, your goals are probably too tough.  I went through my logs, and out of 17 races in the past two years for which I had a distinct goal going in, I hit it 11 times (with one *just barely*: cleared by 2 seconds in a 10k) and missed 6 times (with 2 just barely: 16 seconds too slow in a half, and 5 seconds in an 8k).

What about you guys?  What do you think is a good hit/miss ratio that shows that you are setting appropriate race goals?

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

delicate flower

I looked through my log and I have exactly a 50% success rate in hitting my primary race goals, be it a PR goal or a specific time goal.  I was actually surprised at how many times I went into a race with a goal of just wanting to do well.  Most of my 2013 races were like that, coming off knee surgery.

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I don't see it as that simple. I run on a lot of courses I've never seen before, so a goal that is reasonable on one course may not be reasonable on another. I won't know until after the race whether my goal was reasonable or not. Weather plays a part and last minute reassessments may not be particularly accurate. Even something as simple as getting boxed in at the start because of congestion can make the difference between hitting a goal or not. Then you have this strange idea of A, B, and C goals. Goals also tend to be set at nice round numbers like 2:00:00 for a HM or 25:00 for a 5K or a BQ time for the marathon, not at what one thinks is their actual potential. As a result my goals are often a range with various provisos and I consider the goal met if I come anywhere within the range, e.g. my last 5K I went in unsure of my fitness for that distance. My "goal" was 27:30 (nice round number), but realized I could tie up not being used to racing that fast or I could have regained more of my lost speed than I realized. Hence I could have run as slow as 28:00 or as fast as 26:30. I ran 26:50. Now did I reach my goal or not? I ran much faster than 27:30, but short of 26:30.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, since my only race goals these days are to finish everything I start and have fun along the way - I call it  "My 2F Running Plan" - then 100 percent for me.    For me I don't think that is  too soft since every day I am fighting arthritis and old age and since I do a LOT of races every year - 75 completed last year and I have already done 25 this year so far.

My actual 'racing days' are over for me now so I just do what I can with what I have.   It seems to be working for me.  Each to his/her own.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I do use "A", "B" and "C" goals. Honestly I think I've hit all of my "C" goals. I probably hit my "B" goals 50% of the time. I hit my "A" goals probably 10% of the time. I set my "A" goal pretty high, and even my "B" goal. "C" is basically what I expect to run.

I was pretty confident going in to my first marathon. I set goals of 3:50, 3:55 and 4:00 for my A, B and C goals respectively. Boy, I barely made that C goal because I didn't realize the course had so many rolling hills and the weather wouldn't be very friendly. It also didn't help that I was barely in marathon shape.

- Andrew

Love the Half

As others mention, I enter goal races with "A", "B", and "C" goals.  I hit my "B" goals pretty consistently.  I have only had one race where I was pushing to make my "C" goal.  By the same token, I have only hit my "A" goal a couple of times because so many things can throw you off an "A" goal.  For example, I ran a marathon in 2012 and my training had been damn near perfect and the course was perfect for an "A" goal attempt.  Then, I showed up and it was 61 degrees with 100% humidity at the start.  Rather obviously, my "A" goal was out the window before I ever ran a step.  I have yet to run a race where I didn't hit my "C" goal.  I might mention how I set them.

My "A" goal assumes that everything goes perfectly.  The weather has to be perfect.  The course has to be dead ass flat.  The race has to be well marked and well supported.  (I've run more than a couple of 5K's that weren't well marked and ended up running more than 5 kilometers or I had to slow significantly to find the course markings).  I have to stay healthy.  My training had to have gone well.  Somewhere during the race, there needs to be some competition that's pushing me.  And, on top of all of that, I need to have a good day.  It's rare that all of that lines up.

My "B" goal is a goal that's challenging but something didn't go quite as planned.  It's a bit warm.  I missed a couple of weeks of training for whatever reason or my training didn't go as well as I'd hoped.  Maybe I'm just not on top of my game that day.  Still, I'm not having a bad day.  I'm racing and running hard and the wheels aren't falling off.

My "C" goal is a reason to keep pushing even when things have gone to hell.  I had a half marathon in which I felt good all the way until the race started.  Within half a mile, I knew it wasn't my day and it got worse from there.  I seriously considered just jogging it in and turning it into a fun run.  Still, I'd have been seriously, seriously pissed if I'd run slower than 1:30 so I kept pushing and ended up with something like 1:29:40.  That was a whopping 3:00 slower than my PR and nearly 4:00 slower than my "A" goal.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

bluerun

Super B****

I hit my A goals maybe once or twice a year... but I usually set that pretty high, so it requires everything to go right, as well as a minor miracle.  My B goals are sort of fluid, but I guess I probably make those 75% of the time... and my C goal is usually a "I will want to die if I don't beat this" time, so unless something goes terribly, horribly wrong, I always manage that.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

GinnyinPA

As a beginning runner, I always seem to do better than I expected because I don't really know what to expect.  I am always surprised at how race adrenaline and being surrounded by other runners will push me to be faster than I thought possible.  Also, because of injuries that led to  long times off training, I usually have no current race times to use as a predictor.  So each race is sort of done in isolation and the results are pretty much a total surprise.  It's fun.  No disappointment that way, and I'm just happy to be able to race the distance.  So far, in 2 1/2 years I've done 3 5ks, each better than the last, one 5 miler - extremely hilly so I was happy with the time I got, a flat 15 k - I had only run one 9 mile practice run before that, so I was very happy with the results on this one, and a HM - pretty much in line with my predicted time from two years (and two major injures) before, despite the hills, and I was thrilled just to be able to run this one after so many injury-caused DNSs.

happylily

For marathons, I have three goals. One of them is the McMillan prediction of my finish time, based on what I've done in my training leading to the race. I usually get that one. Another goal is some dream goal of mine, one that is usually very unlikely, but that I've hit on a few occasions and completely surprised myself. It's nice to dream... The third one is to BQ, no matter what the finish time is. So far I've been lucky and I've always at least gotten that. For that one, I credit the qualifying standard for my AG when I started running, and also the fact that I was already in not bad a shape, even as a non-runner.

For shorter distances, I use McMillan once again and I'm usually pretty close to what he predicts, unless there is some uncontrollable element during the race that affects the outcome negatively. On a few occasions, it wasn't my day to race, and I completely lost my nerves and drive to push and I DNFed. That's how big my fear of not hitting my goals is. It sucks to not have the courage to face the day, whatever it brings you.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

For marathons, I have three goals. One of them is the McMillan prediction of my finish time, based on what I've done in my training leading to the race. I usually get that one. Another goal is some dream goal of mine, one that is usually very unlikely, but that I've hit on a few occasions and completely surprised myself. It's nice to dream... The third one is to BQ, no matter what the finish time is. So far I've been lucky and I've always at least gotten that. For that one, I credit the qualifying standard for my AG when I started running, and also the fact that I was already in not bad a shape, even as a non-runner.

For shorter distances, I use McMillan once again and I'm usually pretty close to what he predicts, unless there is some uncontrollable element during the race that affects the outcome negatively. On a few occasions, it wasn't my day to race, and I completely lost my nerves and drive to push and I DNFed. That's how big my fear of not hitting my goals is. It sucks to not have the courage to face the day, whatever it brings you.

Pffftt...  considering the folks that have been trying to BQ for years you are not allowed to self deprecate!

Love the Half

The third one is to BQ, no matter what the finish time is.

Hadn't thought about that.  In Boston last year, running a BQ was not my goal.  In fact, I had predicted it would take me more like 4 hours.  Instead, I ran 3:23 in what were nearly ideal conditions despite taking pictures at every mile and stopping to drink beer a couple of times.  My BQ time is 3:30 so I can still say I have run a BQ in all of my marathons.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

delicate flower

You guys and your nutty A, B, C, D, and E goals.  I usually have "a goal", and if I miss it, I just try to see how close to it I can get.

I will say though that it must to be nice to have BQ as your "well if all else goes to hell" goal.  Big grin

<3

What about you guys?  What do you think is a good hit/miss ratio that shows that you are setting appropriate race goals?

At the end of the race, it doesn't really matter what your goal was, other than demonstrating how accurate you are at predicting an outcome. Whether your goals are “too hard” or “too soft” is sort of beside the point – the goal doesn't determine how fast you go (except when it does – when you pace to some arbitrary goal).

What if you had the confidence to not have time goals? What if your goal was just to run as well as you could? What if your goal was, “to run fast and take chances”?

My opinion- time goals are stupid, usually arbitrary, and often self-fulfilling (and therefore self-limiting). Try giving yourself permission not to have a time goal, and just run your best race. Race often enough that you learn what race effort is, and have a goal to give race effort in every damn race.

This won’t work for everyone, and you have to have some faith in your training and yourself – but for races I put the watch away. No mid race data is going to change my pace, limit my pace or quicken my pace. In a race, you just race.

They don’t give you a badge for Sub-20 or Sub-3 or sub anything. There’s no club for a sub 5 mile. Even a BQ time is pretty arbitrary – there’s nothing inherently special about it (except entry into a pretty cool race).

In a different forum I do actually post time goals – because that’s what we do I guess – but I sure don’t race for them. Really they just say “I think I’m in X shape”, and whether I am or I’m not, the race determines I guess.

All that to say – I don’t think there’s such a thing as “appropriate” time goals. Just run.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                            music_girl117

thanks for all the interesting replies.  Several of you brought up the very good point that you can have goals other than time ones; I don't think I've had one of those, but I can see how that makes sense too!!  Just have fun and finish like Scotty said, or maintain good form the last mile, or something like that.  And the A, B, and C goal idea is interesting too.  That makes sense to give you a reason to keep pushing on a not-so-great day.

Ntown Kevin, I would actually be really interested to run a race with no watch, but I'm such a numbers geek that I'd find it hard to do. Undecided  I did have a long run recently where my watch died in the middle, and when I did the math later (looked at what time of day it was when I stopped and compared it to the time I had started my watch), I realized I had been running a pretty swift pace that I probably would have backed off of, if I had known it at the time.

I've also thought about running a 5k sometime and giving myself permission to start at a pace that seems too fast and just seeing how long I can hold on. (With the expectation that I will probably have to stop and walk in the middle, but that's ok - the point would be that maybe I would surprise myself).  Sometimes I *think* I'm running as fast as I can on a race day, but how would I really know?

Interesting discussion; I'm happy to hear additional thoughts.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

LRB

What do you think is a good hit/miss ratio that shows that you are setting appropriate race goals?

My race goals vary from event to event and while a finish time or a pace per mile may be at play going into a race, that days goal is not the beginning or the end, it is simply the next step.

Race goals whether based on finish time, pace or placing are highly individualistic and therefore extremely difficult to judge.  For me the big picture is my guide, the big picture being where I am at that particular point in my running, not where I was or someday hope to be.

I could not in a million years answer the question quoted above because there is something about every race I could pitch a fit about.  I would be better served telling you how many events I felt satisfied about and that number is nowhere near 50%.  It is probably closer to 25%, or perhaps even lower who knows, I sure as hell do not.

I do know there have been occasions where I did not hit my A, B, C, D, E, FGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY or Z goals.

If you are hitting your goals with great frequency, then keep racing and keep hitting them them bitches while the gettin's good.  Who cares if they are soft or not.

Regarding times I realized last spring that my goal of a sub-20:00 5k was a glass ceiling, and that was before I actually ran it.  So instead of becoming the goal, it simply became the next goal.  But I had to get to that point in my running on my own, and until you see that for yourself it may be a difficult concept to comprehend.

When is your next race and how high are you setting this goal?