Beginners and Beyond

Wherefore Art Thou, FRIDAILIES? (Read 41 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

OK, so the weather didn't quite work out as planned yesterday after work. Our "cool front' that came in during the morning yours must've been named Elvis because by afternoon it had left the building. I did 3.2 miles of trail running on paved and off-road trails in my favorite local park.  After I was done, I did check the weather and found I had been running in 96 degrees with a 'feels like' temp of 101, sheesh.  Even so, it didn't feel all that bad, since the humidity was only at 52% and the dew-point was kind and stayed at 68.  Me and a couple of other runners - crazy like me too, I guess, for being out there - cooled down in one of the park pavilions and watched a raccoon scavenging in one of the park trash cans. Rocky Raccoon had it down to an art too....he had his back legs spread out, gripping the top of the can so he wouldn't fall in it and then stretched the rest of his body way down inside it to reach the bottom.  I guess he knew we were watching because he would 'pop' back up to give us the eye to make sure we weren't coming near him, then would pop back down.  His popup antics reminded me of that gopher game you play in arcades, lol, trying to hit them with a hammer.   He was very entertaining while we cooled down.

Sorry about the sucky miles, Basya.  Hope your PM miles go a lot better for you.

B-Plus.....sure, you just go back to sleep while the rest of us have to work.......no problem....

You're on a no-bear streak, Phil!  Let's hope it stays that way.  Good luck with your track work tonite.

Wow, 4 weeks in a row vacation, nice Cyberic!  And Spain too...sweet!  Enjoy!  Wow, that is going to be a LOT of catching up for you to do after you go back to work.

Ice cream parlor day at work, nice, Lily!  Strawberry for me!  Good luck with your 10 miles today!   Sorry about the weekend widow status.

Way to go on the 8 miles, DaveP.  Hope the knee behaved.

Inside miles, Damaris, or outside miles?  Crazy Miami weather.  Good luck, either way.

Yay for healing, Oski!  Sorry you still have to wait another month, though.  Italy...nice!

Good luck to your son at the meet, Step!

Zelanie, watch out for the bugs in Costa Rica!  Watching my local news the other day and apparently in a few states here there has been a rise in Chikungunya, a mosquito-borne fever.  Florida currently has the most cases.  One of the primary originating countries for this is Costa Rica.  Use your bug spray, stat safe!

Maybe I've adapted to summer weather.     Oh, Andrew......you are SO funny...

Like you REALLY have summer where you are.... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ha ha.....ya, I was gonna ask.......Is that a cake??  (looks like it)  Love cake!!!  (with ice cream, of course) 

A few spontaneous miles planned on the hamster wheel tonight.

That's an Oski cake.

Randy

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Maybe I've adapted to summer weather.     Oh, Andrew......you are SO funny...

Like you REALLY have summer where you are.... 

C'mon, we got to 93 this week.

- Andrew

outoftheblue

I drove over to the coast for an eye appointment and squeezed in a 13 mile run afterwards.  It was a gorgeous day and the trail was full of rabbits and birds.   Legs still felt pretty sluggish from my last race, so I think today is going to be a RD time.   My taper is going to be pretty aggressive for SF as I'm already looking at this as the start of my rest period, before training for CIM kicks in.

Oski -- I don't have any cake, but I really hope you recovery continues to go well.

Life is good.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

C'mon, we got to 93 this week.

93?  That's January weather.

Damaris

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Actually took a day off yesterday, crazy I know.  I like running in the rain, but the storm yesterday was a bit much (couple of houses in Virginia Beach had their roofs torn off, big commercial signs got knocked down, etc.).  Did 6 this morning, gonna double up tonight.

So next week is the start of my Pfitz 18/70 plan, and after some discussion on the sub-3 thread on RWOL, I'm debating whether or not to start the plan, or do six more weeks of base building and then do the 12 week plan.  I'm slightly concerned about getting burned out on an 18 week plan, and the first six week mesocycle of the 18 week plan is endurance building anyway.  Thoughts?

No trail half marathon for me this weekend, the RD couldn't get me in.  Oh well, too hot to be racing a half anyway. Smile

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hey everyone!

Actually took a day off yesterday, crazy I know.  I like running in the rain, but the storm yesterday was a bit much (couple of houses in Virginia Beach had their roofs torn off, big commercial signs got knocked down, etc.).  Did 6 this morning, gonna double up tonight.

So next week is the start of my Pfitz 18/70 plan, and after some discussion on the sub-3 thread on RWOL, I'm debating whether or not to start the plan, or do six more weeks of base building and then do the 12 week plan.  I'm slightly concerned about getting burned out on an 18 week plan, and the first six week mesocycle of the 18 week plan is endurance building anyway.  Thoughts?

No trail half marathon for me this weekend, the RD couldn't get me in.  Oh well, too hot to be racing a half anyway. Smile

Hope everyone has a great day!

Here are my thoughts, YMMV.  The 12 week plan is more aggressive than the 18 week plan.  And I would agree that sometimes, an 18 week plan is too long (too fucking long, mind you), but the 12 week plan will kick your ass.  Having said that, your base is good and I think you can do it.

Damaris

LRB

93?  That's January weather.

For where, hell?  Tell you what, if I ever run in that shit you will not hear the end of it.  lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

For where, hell?  Tell you what, if I ever run in that shit you will not hear the end of it.  lol

The Southern hemisphere?  Still, we broke record highs in January with 88F or 89F (for half of the month, not like once).  In February too. 

Damaris

Mmmmm...beer

Here are my thoughts, YMMV.  The 12 week plan is more aggressive than the 18 week plan.  And I would agree that sometimes, an 18 week plan is too long (too fucking long, mind you), but the 12 week plan will kick your ass.  Having said that, your base is good and I think you can do it.

Good point, I didn't really think of the differences between the 18 and 12 week plans, but it would make sense that the 12 week plan is more aggressive.  Since this is my first time doing a plan (and quality work), I think I'll just stick to the 18 week plan. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Dailies.

Four easy miles and a new shirt.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Just did another 8.1

Marjorie

LRB

Just did another 8.1

You are climbing back up there, how is everything?

Love that shirt Jack!

DavePNW

LeBron back to Cleveland??!

Dave

LRB

LeBron back to Cleveland??!

Pfft, that'll be the day.