Beginners and Beyond

In Memorandum MonDAILIES (Read 68 times)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning! RD for me. I did run each day this past weekend.

Saturdays run: 7.3 miles @ Easy pace. Includes 10 strides.

Sundays run: 13.1 miles @ Easy pace. I was going to do something like 2 miles warmup, 10 miles @ MP and 2 mile cooldown, but I could tell that my legs didn't have anything. I actually tried going MP on the fourth mile and my legs weren't having it. I think it's a combination of factors including bad rest and poor weekly mileage over the last three weeks. A month ago I could have crushed that workout.

That also spells out that I'm not going to be running my 8/30 race. If I can't run a 15k race around my HMP then I think it will just end in disappointment. I'd rather use the time to get back up to speed. DD#2 is starting to space out her feedings now, so I may be able to get out there during the week and get 3 or 4 miles in each day. If I can do that, and get back to running 6 days per week, then I'll be much happier.

- Andrew

Mmmmm...beer

So after some research and poking/prodding to figure out exactly where it hurts, I'm fairly certain that I have a low grade soleus strain (pain is presenting laterally).  The question now is, do I rest it completely, or just cut back and take it easy for a while?  It was only mildly present during my run this morning, what I like to call a twinge, you know it's there, but it's not really pain, more soreness than pain.  But I'm also afraid that if I run through it, it will prolong recovery, or make it worse.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Hip Redux

So after some research and poking/prodding to figure out exactly where it hurts, I'm fairly certain that I have a low grade soleus strain (pain is presenting laterally).  The question now is, do I rest it completely, or just cut back and take it easy for a while?  It was only mildly present during my run this morning, what I like to call a twinge, you know it's there, but it's not really pain, more soreness than pain.  But I'm also afraid that if I run through it, it will prolong recovery, or make it worse.

Did you rule out posterior tibial tendonitis?   Same general area (maybe a little lower from what you describe) but common with runners.

LRB

So it sounds like 400's are not going to do me a whole ton of good then and I'd benefit more from increasing the intervals. 

Well there is a place for all paces and all intervals.  In fact, one could argue that a complete training regimen includes some of everything.

The decision on who to study is based on what you are looking to gain from your training; pure speed, endurance, training for a specific distance etc.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

D2

When I have had soleus issues it has always been 4-6" above the ankle bone, typically more on either side.

Anything above 6" I find is more Gastroc related.

I have never had soleus swelling, but have had it bad enough to hobble after running.

As far as treatment for me:

Take 1 day off and apply ice for 20 min . (20 on 20 off) for as long as you can keep it going . Repeat whenever you can during the day.

Easy run for day 2&3 repeating the 20/20 icing. Then back to normal, ice as necessary.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Intended on getting back to an AM schedule but indulged in cheap ass Chinese delivery and ice cream last night.

Woke at 5:55 feeling particularly heavy in the tummy. Decided I probably would not make my paces for my quality so I decided to run it tonight.

DD soccer over at 8pm means I get to start around 9:30 or 10pm yay!

LRB

I had an issue with that and after days of banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what caused it, I deduced it was from a mile long section of a new route that had severely sloped sidewalks.  So I avoided the area and after only a few days the pain went away and confirmed my suspicions that was the culprit.

I ran through it but have no advice on if you should or not as those things are highly individualistic and subject to no less than a half-dozen factors.

Good luck with whatever you decide though!

Mmmmm...beer

Did you rule out posterior tibial tendonitis?   Same general area (maybe a little lower from what you describe) but common with runners.

I'm pretty sure it's the soleus or gastrocnemius, since there's no pain on the front of the leg at all, it's all along the lateral interior of the back of the calf (which from what I'm reading indicates the soleus).  The swelling at the front of the leg is barely visible, my wife couldn't see it until she closely compared both legs.

D2

When I have had soleus issues it has always been 4-6" above the ankle bone, typically more on either side.

Anything above 6" I find is more Gastroc related.

I have never had soleus swelling, but have had it bad enough to hobble after running.

As far as treatment for me:

Take 1 day off and apply ice for 20 min . (20 on 20 off) for as long as you can keep it going . Repeat whenever you can during the day.

Easy run for day 2&3 repeating the 20/20 icing. Then back to normal, ice as necessary.

Did it come on slowly or was it a sharp pain?  Everything I'm reading about soleus strains say they typically come on slowly, as mine did, and that gastroc strains tend to be a sharper pain.  Plus as mentioned above, the presentation of the pain is strictly laterally along the interior of the calf, there's no pain at all when prodding the belly of the gastroc.  I can't ice it at work, but I'll do some icing tonight .  Thanks.

-Dave

My running blog

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Soleus came on slowly, first just a little tender eventually to the point of 'holy shit don't touch it!'

I have had gastroc come on slowly or quickly just depending on the nature and intensity of training.

B-Plus

Feel better D2!

I didn't realize that it is supposed to reach 90 today. Had I known, I would have set the ol' alarm clock for 3:45. This will suck, I'm sure.

happylily

18 miles, 8:24 pace yesterday, for a total of 70 miles for the week. Today is either a rest day, or a short recovery run later in the late afternoon. It's something like 30 mph winds here at the moment. I don't know much about winds, but it's freakin' creeping me out to hear that ominous sound at night and I don't sleep well. It brings me all kinds of ugly childhood nightmares.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Mmmmm...beer

Soleus came on slowly, first just a little tender eventually to the point of 'holy shit don't touch it!'

I have had gastroc come on slowly or quickly just depending on the nature and intensity of training.

Luckily mine hasn't gotten to that point yet, hopefully I can keep that from happening.

Someone brought up shoes in another thread, which made me realize that I did a week on the treadmill in zero drop Virratas.  Normally I rotate the Virratas with 4mm drop Kinvaras during training (didn't feel like bringing my entire shoe collection with me on travel), and while I didn't have any problems with my treadmill running (other than extreme boredom! lol), I followed that week with the 20 miler in 4mm drop Cortanas that have 500 miles on 'em.  Guess that could have been enough to cause the strain, since a 20 miler is nothing new.

-Dave

My running blog

Ric-G

i saw a bad moon rising last nite behind some spooky clouds...then i saw that saw that same sparkling moon in the west this morning as i ran 5 miles....pretty cool. have  a good day everyone.

marathon pr - 3:16

Hip Redux

I'm pretty sure it's the soleus or gastrocnemius, since there's no pain on the front of the leg at all, it's all along the lateral interior of the back of the calf (which from what I'm reading indicates the soleus).  The swelling at the front of the leg is barely visible, my wife couldn't see it until she closely compared both legs.

Posterior tibial tendon is... posterior. lol  Back of the leg, mostly felt on the interior side of the calf, above of the ankle.   Here's a better picture:

Mmmmm...beer

Posterior tibial tendon is... posterior. lol  Back of the leg, mostly felt on the interior side of the calf, above of the ankle.   Here's a better picture:

Guess I need more coffee! lol  You didn't have to draw on yourself with a marker, although I appreciate the effort. Smile  Saw a few things that said PTTD usually presents as pain along the foot/ankle, nothing happening down there for me.  Plus, no change in gait or arch.  This self diagnosing thing is fun, what did we ever do before google?  Oh, that's right, we went to the doctor.

-Dave

My running blog