Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins are cool... (Read 26 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Well, at least we are having a nice drop in temperatures today. It could be in the low 80's! Heck, there is even a chance of rain!!

Hi Pens... I'm off for a trail run this morning with the XC team, probably 8-10 miles. The hills will get me ready for next week's trip to Mammoth. Smile  Enjoy the weekend.  Smile

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  No coolness here.  Heat index is already 94F here in wonderful hellhole.  6 miles tonight.

Damaris

Bin Running

Slept in till 8am and seeing the sky is gloomy, went for my planned 15M. 3M in and the heavy rain started. Had to stop. Waited for an hour for it to stop but no luck. Used the only $10 I had on me and took a cab home. Better luck tmr.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning.  Won't even get to 70F today.  Run/Walk later.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning guys.  Finished my 16 miles with a 9:31 average.  Feeling good, but have to finish up this wedding cake and get cleaned up.  Have a great day!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Amazonian Princess

G'morning,

Participating in a 13 mile bike ride today for Wipeout Cancer - last week when I picked up my packet for a 5k I saw a flyer and said "hey, I could do that!" When did exercise become normal for me?

Results were posted from last weekends 5k: I did a similar course at the same park on June 2 and my time was 48:09 (first race, congested course, never done hills) On July 21 my time was 42:20. Got a waaays to go but feel better about how I'm doing despite getting "geezered" at the finish (but that "geezer" took third in his age group and I hope to pay that experience forward in a couple decades Big grin

And before I forget again (because I have a mind of Teflon), belated congrats to T-Rod and (growing) family!

Happy Weekend!

I can. I will. I am. 

Zelanie

Greetings from the road!  Lots of driving and no running in store for me today.

Baconista- That's like 2 min/mile improvement in a very short time!  Nice work!

Bin- It sounds like your rain is a true force to be reckoned with!

Everyone else, have a good day!

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Got in 3.5 miles around the lake this morning. Mostly dirt roads, gently rolling hills, and one monster hill that surprised me when I came around a corner. Not long but intimidatingly steep for someone who hasn't really run hills in months D: I'll post some pictures when I get back to my computer tomorrow. Have a great weekend!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I may have been sore and exhausted and barely able to jog 2 miles during the week, but I was able to pull it together this morning for my 11 mile run!

I did my run as part of a group training run sponsored by NYRR. It is geared towards people training for the NYCM or any fall marathon or half marathon. The group does 4 loops of Central Park, a 6 mile loop, two 5 mile loops, and a 4 mile loop, so you can join the group for 6, 11, 16 or 20 miles depending on your training needs. They have pace groups in 30 second intervals for the speedier folk, and welcomed slower folk with an 11+ minute mile corral. Several thousand people came out to run. It was really nice....there was water stations every 1-2 miles, and at the start/finish area each time you passed there was Gatorade, and bananas and pretzels for when you finished. There were also ample porta potties along the course. A great way to do a long run, IMO! I opted for 11 miles, because that is what my plan called for today (so I was psyched to discover this group run that happened to coincide!) the farthest I have run before this morning was 10. The extra mile was tough but not too tough....I finished feeling good! Weather was 68 degrees and humid (88% apparently), but after the heat wave we've had for the past few weeks it honestly felt cool and nice...it wasn't bad at all. Central Park is quite hilly, and the notorious Harlem Hills were included in our first lap, 682ft elevation gain and 684ft elevation loss all together. I managed a faster pace than my easy runs have been lately (still kept it very comfortable) with pretty even splits all the way through an an average of 11:35 minute miles. Great morning! Took a few pics:

Ready to run!

Jaguar (or panther??) statue guarding Cat Hill:

The statue of Fred Lebow, founder of NYRR:

Garmin after:

Recovery:

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Zel: the I-5 is one of the worst drives in the country!!! If you have time, go coastal!!! Good luck Smile

Kristin: nice work!! That looks like a lot of fun. Was Bob Glover there?

tracilynn

Nice run Kristin!

Rest day for me. I have ran the past 4 days. I did ride bikes with my 4.5 yr old around the block. I will roll today too.  Rolling counts as un upper body workout, right?

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Yeah,  we did the pretty parts last night in the dark. Oops!

Zel: the I-5 is one of the worst drives in the country!!! If you have time, go coastal!!! Good luck Smile

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I didn't see him! He could have been though.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

As I sit down sweating my arse off, I had to laugh at the title of today's thread!  Thanks Jack!  Glad you're getting some reprieve from the summer temperatures.

Hey ya Docket... somehow it being that warm there doesn't surprise me.  Good luck with your miles tonight.

Bin, that sucks.  Good thing at least you had a bit of cash on you.

Jerry-- sounds like a lovely cool day.  Wish all of us Penguins could come visit you.

Awood-- Yay@ your 16 miles.... you're the man!

Baconista-- have fun on your bike ride for Cancer!   So good of you to participate.

t-rod-- I've been kind of lazy lately and have missed several days of Penguin participation.  Did I miss an important announcement????  Is a congratulations due?

Zelanie-- have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Lauren-- a run around the lake sounds lovely.  Great job to you.  Having good places to run sure makes it nice.

kristin--- wooohoo!  Awesome 11 mile run!  You really should be proud of yourself.

Traci-- enjoy your rest day!

I got in a nice 8-1/2, but could certainly tell there's a lot of humidity in the air.  It was barely over 80* and I was totally drenched.  It certainly wasn't a bad run though.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson