Beginners and Beyond

RR no photos sorry left phone in car-5K (Read 227 times)

Shakedown Street

Very short version...

Chip 24:23, OA-83/1119, AG (35-39)-9/79

Longer version...

A friend talked me into signing up for a 5K, it's been since sep since I ran one, so why not....there are free pancakes at the finish.

This AM I awoke to fog, humidity, and blah. 66 degrees with a dewpoint of 64 as measured in my backyard. Had a couple pieces of toast, a banana, then off to the race site.

I warmed up for about 15, got to the line behind all the 15year olds, and was pushed out of the way by a very nice lady packing enough water on her belt and handheld for the field.

I did not get to preview the route. It's a 5K. I was told there was an overpass, actually it was an out-back route over a bridge...325 feet of climbing in a 5K.

Gun went off-I ran, splits as follows:

.1-730 (sharp turn @ finish).

The start was a little bit of a cluster as there was a turn and barricades funneling the runners-good to be up in front, but it did slow me down out of the gate (mostly mentally). If you were past mid-pack it would have been bad.

The bridge climb was ok, not killer, but the backside on the way out was about mile 1, so I knew to conserve on the way back, I wanted sub-24, but with the bridge, I am happy.

Highlight-being dusted by an amputee at halfway.

Overall, fun, good run, plenty of free beer, pizza and pancakes at the end.

It is funny to reflect on some of my 5K times over the past 9 months.

26:27-last PR on labor day, very flat course

30:18-first 5K back in may, flat course, blew up and was vomited on.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Great job!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Nice new PR!  You'll go sub-24 very soon!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

Congrats on the new PR.  Well. done!   

Don't believe everything you think. 

Just B.S.

Great job and great progress!

muppy

Nice improvement,especially with the humidity, congrats!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Congrats on all the progress you've made in a very short period. If you could have gotten your start out faster you definitely would have gone under 24. Still, nice job building during the race!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Pinktastic

Congrats!  You ran really well!  Thanks for sharing with us!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Good job on the new PR.

You can call me Anna

Zelanie

Wow- you've made great progress in your time!  Way to PR, especially on a tough course!

Don't call me Buttercup!

Nice job!  And yay for not being vomited on this time!  (Did that really happen to you? I can't imagine how awful that must have been! Eww!)

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Nice job! I'm sure you'll nail that sub -24 next time!

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

SheCan

Awesome time and PR(?)!

Glad you had a nice time, and wooo@ pancakes, pizza and beer at the finish-line!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

happylily

Wow, awesome improvement in a year! Congratulations on a strong PR and geat negative splits. You did great!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Shakedown Street

Nice job!  And yay for not being vomited on this time!  (Did that really happen to you? I can't imagine how awful that must have been! Eww!)

yes, it was splatter, but I felt it. Not a cool experience.

and to clarify, the amputee was a leg thanks to the middle east mess. The guy was smoking fast. Very cool to see in a race...when you think your sucking wind it kinda puts everything in perspective.

I have never had pancakes and beer at 9 AM....but they were really good.

/thanks for everyones well wishes!

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)