Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins At the Track (Read 20 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

From the Internet.

Oh I had that thing when I was a kid!! Big grin

Set my alarm for 5:15 just in case I felt like running in 10 degree weather, surprisingly enough I did not feel like it. I'll be home early today so I'll be running in 28F instead of 10F, probably just 3-4 easy miles.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Me too!

Morning!  4-5 miles tonight.

Damaris

Zelanie

So on Monday DD wanted to go out to Red Robin to celebrate, so no running.  But I did get 8 nice miles in with the dogs last night.  Today I still have to pick up DD, for old times' sake or something, so I will run 6-10 at the track depending upon how much time I have.  I think the group track workouts start next week on Tuesday.  It's part of the training program for the local HM, but of course I don't even know if I'm running that this year.

Lauren- 28 sounds much better than 10!

D- Have a good run later!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Um yeah, this his how I feel today...and also like my HEAD is on that track that Z posted, and I'm  going in circles.  Had a stupid vertigo episode this morning...not fun lying in bed watching the room spin around, getting more and more nauseous!  Thankfully it was only a short episode and I seem okay now.   However, I did take the day off today just to be safe.  Thankfully, my vertigo usually only kicks up when I am in certain PRONE positions and just about never kicks up when I am vertical, thank goodness.  Very weird.   My doc says if I have to have vertigo, I am actually one of the lucky ones because compared to some folks, mine is actually pretty mild.  Yeah, doesn't feel like that when it happens!  But I get what she's talking about, some people have it WAY worse than me and even end up in the hospital for a few days on IVs.  Well, I may try and go out for a short run/walk around the neighborhood later....I've found from past experience that this actually HELPS my head 'stabilize"..I have no idea why, but I will take whatever works.

A few more pics for your amusement...

For you Penguin coffee drinkers..

For you Penguin hat wearers (personally, I HATE wearing hats, and will only wear a cap when it gets really cold)

For you "real winter' penguins"

And another Penguin track...even Mario has a Penguin track, lol...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Oh yeah....112!

That is now how many running routes I have in my San Antonio area, after going to the Y after work last night and doing a run/walk.  I started from the Y, went down a road I have not been on before, ended up getting a little bit lost, but managed to make a loop back to the Y, ended up with  3.3 miles done and a new route added to my list of running routes.  This one last night was quite hilly, so a good hill workout route.  Goes through a really nice neighborhood too, wide streets, beautiful houses, and along the way is a park with a very nice hike-and-bike trail.  Sweet.

Good luck with the miles tonite, Damaris.  How is hubby's knee?

Congrats on getting in 8 with the dogs, Zelanie!  Did they speed you up by pulling you along?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: I hope the vertigo has passed and everything is ok.

Zel: maybe you should sign up for the HM? Signing up for a race is usually a good motivator.

4 recovery miles for me, probably on the track.

Brilliant

Hello Penguins!

Cute picture, Zel, nice find!

7.3 easy miles done this morning.  The cold I was expecting finally arrived, but I did ok on the run, feeling worse now. Sad

Amazonian Princess

Hola Penguins!

I've been out of the loop for more than a few weeks and can I say that I missed this group? In December I pulled a muscle in my back out-rowing the dude on the machine next to me (a hollow victory, but winners cry on the inside ) and was on lots of anti-inflammatories and a muscle relaxant. At one point, DH got a little jealous of my relationship with the heating pad, but things are much better! Pretty much my worst aggravation right now is the darn resolutioners crowding my gym! I want to be supportive but damn, I really want to put on my Judgey Pants!! Running on the TM tonight after work and I'll try to be nice...

Hi, Zelanie! Is DD back in robotics this school year? Will you let us know when there's another tournament on TV? DH geeked out about it last time and even checked out "You Tube" videos about the rules and the builds.

Lauren - not in a stalker-y weird way, but I think of you when I'm at the gym lifting heavy things and putting them down  The other night I was deadlifting 170 pounds and thought "hmm, I hope my belly-button doesn't pop out"

Docket - would you please send some of that Florida warmth to Northern California? I had to wear a scarf this week! Awesome job on the Goofy Challenge, too - I won't ever feel bad for a post-event Mountain Dew.

Scotty - I know nothing of football; in your opinion, what three things do I need to know about football?

Jack - have you started training for Avenue of the Giants? I'm a NorCal treehugger so I can't imagine how tired my arms might get

Brilliant - How was Maui? I heart Hawaii. Last time we were on Maui I woke up early and ran along the Kaanapali beachwalk at sunrise, had fresh fruit for breakfast and spent the rest of the day in a beach cabana. That was an awesome day!

I can. I will. I am. 

obiebyke

Welcome back, Baconista!

I did 3 miles today. The best part of the run was when a bundled-up 9-year-old yelled "SERIOUSLY?!" at me as I went by in my get-up. I yelled "SERIOUSLY!" back and grinned.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Amazonian Princess

Thanks, Obie!

I've only seen snow twice in my life. In my avatar picture it was around 46 degrees and I'm wearing a fitted tank, a short sleeved tech shirt, a jacket and gloves. One of these days I'll have to ask you to paint me a word picture of this snow and ice thing 

I can. I will. I am. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LOL.  Send me the cold from Northern Cali please.

I wonder what would the judge do if I get up, run around and scream.

4 miles done.

Damaris

Brilliant

Brilliant - How was Maui? I heart Hawaii. Last time we were on Maui I woke up early and ran along the Kaanapali beachwalk at sunrise, had fresh fruit for breakfast and spent the rest of the day in a beach cabana. That was an awesome day!

Hi Baconista!  Maui was great.  Your day sounds marvelous.  Smile  I love running the Kaanapali beach walk.  We were in Wailea this time - had a great stay but the running isn't great.  The path down there is much shorter end-to-end, and narrower, thus harder to get past the early-morning walkers.  So I ended up on the neighborhood streets.  Not quite as scenic.  But I'm not complaining!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I lived in Honolulu but never visited Maui.  I think we'll do Maui as a race instead of Honolulu, just to see it.

Damaris

Brilliant

I lived in Honolulu but never visited Maui.  I think we'll do Maui as a race instead of Honolulu, just to see it.

We were on Maui in Sept 2013 during the Maui Marathon.  I didn't run it - we scheduled our trip at the same time quite by accident!  It was pretty warm that day, and a hilly course!  (of course you will do fine in the heat/humidity with your South Florida training).

There's another event in Maui in January; the weather is probably better but I'm not familiar with the course.