Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's ThursDIWALI (Read 21 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  I'll try another short run after work.

Why do I always associate Diwali with Michael Scott???

PADRunner

Morning Jerry & Penguins. Out for 5 this morning. BB

on my way to badass

Good morning Penguins! Thanks for starting us off Jerry. I am in the grip of a Nor'easter. Its pouring and dark. Mileage is going to take a hit this week I think. Hi PAD! Good job on the miles.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!  Rest day today.  Or I may do a bit of cross training with some yoga or elliptical - but no running planned.  I'll probably go pick up race materials for myself, DH, and my new to running friend.  I'm not in "racing" shape as is so I was thinking of pacing her to a sub 1 hour 5 mile race on Sunday, rather than going for time myself.  Sunday is my last race needed to qualify for the 2015 NYCM through the 9+1 program.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Not sure what possessed me. I'm headed out for a 14 mile trail run with a friend, with a 1200 ft elevation gain. Pray for us (seriously...think good thoughts or whatever you can offer!).   I'm worried that:

1. We'll be harassed by coyotes because we're starting at dawn

2. We'll get to the top and my quads won't want to bring me down again, and

3. A guy had a heart attack and died in this same park last week - not that I think we will, it just adds a creepy factor

It will also be my first long run with a running Camelbak type pack. (No water on the trail)

thanks for any prayers or good thoughts you can send my way!

tracilynn

jerry, how do the quads feel?  I think you should wear a wig and join mrs Jerry at Curves because whatever she is doing is working.  She wasn't sore, right? 

pad, hope the 5 went well.  I think 5 is my favorite distance.

hi Stone, your weather does not sound fun at all.  Chili eatin' weather.  Stay warm.

sapf, congrats on getting your last race in to qualify!  awesome.  How long has your friend been running?

I did not run yesterday.  My foot hurts pretty bad at night.  I ordered a night splint to try.  I also dug up my old custom orthotics because arch support feels good right now.  Im so pissed off and feel like quitting AGAIN.  My mileage has not been over 17 miles per week and I still get PF?  WTF I don't think I was built for running.  I have had literally about every running injury you can have and I have never gone over 20 miles per week maybe once).  I just want to do a HM, just ONE.  DAMMIT. FUCK.

ANYWAY, looking forward to meeting TJ, and the norbys this weekend.  Im doing the 5K and they will be doing the HM.  FE= FUN times!

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Brill!  have fun!  you will be fine!  sounds tough though but being on a trail is so peaceful and goes by so fast.

~~~~~~~

Traci

on my way to badass

So jealous of the FE opportunity for you Southern Penguins. Some day I'll get a chance to meet some forumites.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

From the Internet.

Hi pens! Rest day. Trying to get in touch with surgeon's office re: being an idiot and picking up my child yesterday, and last night I also started having intermittent tingle/electric shock/hot needle-type feelings at the incision site. They are totally random, not related to moving in any particular way. I think it might just be the nerves regrowing or whatnot, but I need to ask if it's normal or I will freak out a bit every time I feel it happen D:

From the Internet.

Ooh Brilliant have fun! You will be fine, and then you will come back and tell us all about it Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Today is my busy day -- I'm wearing my fancy clothes and I have to be over at the other campus by noon, so it'll be a snack around 11 and then off to find the bus stop.  Of course before I do that I have to LOOK UP the bus stop, since the route has changed, and look up where I'm going so I know when to get off.  I have a note written to myself for all the things I need to remember to take to chorus, but I'm not sure where to put it.  Maybe on my driver's license, but I don't drive myself to chorus.  Am I overthinking?

Jerryb -- I had to Google Diwali.  And I still have no idea who Michael Scott is!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 5!!

Stone -- dark and pouring, ugh!!  Glad we're seeing some sun today.

sapf -- enjoy the cross-training!!

Brilliant -- wow, have fun on the trails, and good luck!!

traci -- have you read the Anatomy for Runners book?  Maybe it would help?

Lauren -- hoping all your stuff is just normal, nothing to freak out about!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Hi!  The Oatmeal drew Cypress a potato.  He was worried that it looked like a poo, so he gave it a caption:

We talked a little about the Blerch race.  He said that there was an identical (but not themed) race on the same course with the same RD about 6 months ago.  They went out for that race and checked everything out to help them have everything planned and make sure the Blerch race ran smoothly.

Brilliant- Have fun!

Lauren- I'm sure you're fine!  Hope you hear back from the surgeon soon.

GinnyinPA

Happy Diwali to you too.  We could use some triumph of light over darkness right now.

Jerry - are your legs feeling better?  Have a good run.

PAD - I hope your 5 went well.

Stonefence - sorry about the rain.  Do you have any possible access to a gym?

sapf - have a good rest/xt day.  Have fun at your race this weekend.

Brilliant - which park is your trail run in?  California has some nice trails - not rocky and technical as they are here. Hope it was fun.

Tracilynn - I have friends who got PF who don't run or hike.  It's a lack of stretching that does it, I think.

HM - good luck with your very busy day.  Don't get lost.

Lauren - I hope you didn't do any damage.  The tingling is not unusual when healing.  I have a finger that was damaged years ago and it took about two years to feel halfway normal, and it still doesn't feel 100% right.

Z - cute cartoon.  But isn't a couch potato a bad thing to be, not a cute one?  Interesting that they ran a rehearsal race to make sure everything went well.  Smart.

AFM:  Cold and windy here. I'll do a few miles later when it warms up.

obiebyke

Brilliant, how'd it go?

I did C25K W5D2 tomorrow. It went pretty well, despite not having run for a week and a half. I might do some tabata after work today, we'll see.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)