Beginners and Beyond

Thirsty ThursDAILIES (Read 41 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That is funny, April.

I feel fine now.  I think it was a combination of not much food yesterady, lack of sleep, heat and humidity, and asthma.  Or just a drop in BP.  Whatever it was, it better not happen again or I'm going to kick its ass.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Time to start getting heat acclimatized before REAL summer gets here to San  Antonio!  Will probably run along the Riverwalk today and then enjoy a post-run VERY cold Golden Lager.  Which should taste great since the temp today is heading to 90 degrees!  Not as bad as it sounds, though, cuz the humidity will only be 52 percent, and the dewpoint will only be 69.  So some nice 'fresh' air.  Plan on doing an easy 3 to  4 miles.

Congrats on the 7, flarunner.

Phil, you've been pushing hard on your comeback..maybe your body is telling you to take a rest for a day or two.

Glad the hip is feeling better, Dave.  Somewhat better.

Happy rest day, April.  Enjoy the gym workout if you decide to go.

Kristin:

Congrats on your miles, Robert and Marjorie.  And glad to hear no mad dashes this morning, Robert!

Ugg, shift work.  Good luck Tom!

Getting excited about your half, Andrew!  I bet you will do great!

Sarah, I had the weirdest - and 'punniest" - dream about you last night, lol.  It was like a fairy-tale type scenario and you were the central figure.  You were a princess but there was something wrong with your leg, so because the queen did not like 'imperfections' around her,  your evil queen step-mother said "She will be CAST out!"  And had you imprisoned in a very tall tower - shades of Rapunzel! - which turned out to be quite PINK, lol.   You sat in the tower and said to yourself "Some day I will figure a way out of here and will escape on a dark night."  And right after that, LRB showed up and RESCUED you and CARRIED you away....and the queen found out about the escape and said "How did this happen?"  And one of the guards said "She escaped on a dark knight, your majesty..."   (GROAN)....and then the guards began to chase you and LRB...and then I woke up.   I assume you got away and lived happily ever after.  Bizarre dream...full of puns with my warped mind, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jess runs for bacon

Feel better Kristin.

Sorry to hear that Beth.

Comgrats Lilac. I still smoked when I started running, and one thing that kept me motivated to quit for good was my running improvement and the impact or perceived impact of smoking on running.

I've gained about 6 lbs in the last 1.5 weeks. Oops!

6.5 miles + core later.

Congrats to you as weLl! I know most people gain weight, but I already think I will lose. smoking after eating is a huge trigger for me so I am eating really lightly and staying away from that full feeling.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

4 miles done today in the new Nike Zoom Elites. No issues, felt good as running shoes should. No odd rubbing, no weird feel - just nice.

Saturday, I'll try out the new Kinvora 4's, as long as it's dry out. I don't want to soil them in case I need to return them. Since these will be my racing shoes, It makes sense for me to give them a somewhat longer run.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I just tried the Men's Kinv 4 on Monday and I love them.  And the red ones are so pretty!

4 miles done today in the new Nike Zoom Elites. No issues, felt good as running shoes should. No odd rubbing, no weird feel - just nice.

Saturday, I'll try out the new Kinvora 4's, as long as it's dry out. I don't want to soil them in case I need to return them. Since these will be my racing shoes, It makes sense for me to give them a somewhat longer run.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sorry I missed it Lilac!  Congrats on taking the first step!

Damaris

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

StepbyStep--hey, thanks for starting the thread and hope you enjoyed your run, complaining parts aside.

flarunner--a 7 mile tempo sounds... intense.

Baboon, I know what you mean--I feel like if I have one bad day it makes me extra determined for the next workout. I'm sure that'll be the case for you. Plus, how inspiring is the elliptical, anyhow?

Oh, Kristin, HUGS to you and I sympathize SO much. It's really hard when you just have a string of bad luck with health! and then stress makes EVERYTHING worse. I too have had allergies and trouble sleeping, so you're not alone. Hang in there. It'll get better. Have you tried melatonin to fall asleep? I also find doing a little journaling helps, or some sort of nighttime ritual to get rid of anxiety. (For me it's anxiety that keeps me awake and negative thoughts). Do you feel really committed to the 10k? because you know every race is optional, and if you think it won't be fun, there is no need to do it... or you could do it in a fun no-pressure way. So many options.

Pink, I'm glad you are feeling happy and got to see family. 2 weeks is NOTHING, I'll be counting down the days with you.

Beth, I'm sorry to hear that. Sad

LRB, you're lucky you live with rabbits, the only things I've ever started on a run have been rats and raccoons. Well, no, I did once see a falcon. (Central Park). That sounds awesome! You need to catch that sucker and put it on a leash for your next race.

Lilac, congrats on deciding to give up cigarettes. Addiction is tough. I wish they made a patch for the internet. I'm serious, it sucks up my life. You wonderful folks not included.  I realize, of course, that quitting smoking is harder.

Zelanie, sucks about the patellar tendonitis but at least you have a diagnosis! There are plenty of variations on leg lifts you can do. Sitting, standing. Uh. OK, that's all I can think of. Have fun with it, though. :P

Jack, YES! I love The Office, as I've done some improv performance and really appreciate a lot of the actors and writers on that level. It's a clever show. Can't wait to see it.

Damaris, glad you feel a little better now. Asthma is so rough and you handle it so determinedly. I admire it (and I'm glad you're around so I don't feel so alone).

SO I was really grumpy and hungry these past couple days but whatever, I'm dealing with it. The worst part of dieting for me is that I get super down on my body image for not being perfect yet, since I'm working so hard, if that makes sense. I'm really not a vain person, but oddly, when I lose fat I become more hyperaware of any flaws that remain. Meh. Therapist fodder, I think.

Anyway, I've been hanging out on the sprinting subreddit and got some advice for my training, so today I tried a tempo run SPRINTER style! I did some 100m repeats with jogging around the reservoir plus a couple miles warmup. My average pace for the 100s was between 16 and 18 which is I think too fast, but I'll refine my technique and lower the recovery time in between the sprints in order to make it more even. It felt really fun to do that workout. I like sprinting a lot more than running, tbh.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

LRB

I know most people gain weight, but I already think I will lose.

I did not, but instead of eating when I got the urge to smoke, I chewed gum instead.  It has been over a million years since I quit, but I still chew gum.  Not because I have an urge, but because it keeps me from eating.

Scotty, of course we got away, ha-ha!  Say, it looks like I will be in Houston on Memorial day, where is the must eat restaurant?

B-Plus

Congrats to you as weLl! I know most people gain weight, but I already think I will lose. smoking after eating is a huge trigger for me so I am eating really lightly and staying away from that full feeling.

Sorry, I should clarify. I quit 6 years ago. The weight gain is from my recent slothful ways.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Lilac, good luck kicking the smoking habit!

Running for TJ because he can't.

LRB

The weight gain is from my recent slothful ways.

Also known as winning!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I did not, but instead of eating when I got the urge to smoke, I chewed gum instead.  It has been over a million years since I quit, but I still chew gum.  Not because I have an urge, but because it keeps me from eating.

Scotty, of course we got away, ha-ha!  Say, it looks like I will be in Houston on Memorial day, where is the must eat restaurant?

Why Houston?  San Antonio is soooo much better! Wink

Well, you are in luck.  The list of top eateries in Houston were just updated last month.  So take your pick!  Here you go:

http://houston.eater.com/archives/2013/04/09/the-essential-38-houston-restaurants-spring-2013.php

Are you doing a race there?  At that time of year, be prepared for some MAJOR humidity.  And since Houston is closer to the Gulf than San Antonio is...well...imagine running through a greenhouse or a sauna..... good luck!

If you can get to San Antonio (slightly under a 3-hour drive from Houston) we will take you down to the Riverwalk for meal and drinks.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

Why Houston? 

Shit, why Texas lol!

My kid is taking an internship for the summer there.  I will only be there for a day.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Some of you may remember that I am a smoker. Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought the patches yesterday. Today is day number one. I've already made it farther in the dfroth an previous attempts (those were cold turkey tries). i'm surprised how crappy my lungs feel. That's already a motivator. Little things are pissing me off royally but I am trying to breathe through it. Anyway, five miles on tap today, may do it on the TM.

Lilac, I wish you great success with this. It is hard, at first, but each day that you're smoke free, you'll feel just a tiny bit better.

I did the cold turkey thing 11 or 12 years ago, and it was very difficult at first. I was irritable, and I basically wanted to kill everybody instead of just those that deserved killing (j/k, sort of). The fact that you're running should help, because you'll be able to see and feel the improvement in your health as your lungs gradually clear.

The patch should help - just use it as directed (I have no idea how they're to be used because I was too stubborn to use them when I quit). The physiological dependence will generally disappear in a week or two. The psychological dependence takes longer, but once you've got a couple of weeks under your belt, you will have proven to yourself that you don't need them any more and you'll find it easier and easier to stay quit.

At some point in the future, the smell of a cigarette will no longer be attractive.

Hang in there, chew gum, walk, run, nibble on fruit - do anything but light up.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

DavePNW

Is anyone else watching the series finale of "The Office" tonight? 

IMHO, that show jumped the shark a few years ago. We used to be dedicated viewers, but have not been for a while. Not the same without Michael Scott. OTOH, Parks & Rec is still must-see TV.

7.04 very warm & sunny miles at lunch today, 8:31 pace.

Dave