Beginners and Beyond

Last August Fri-Dailies (Read 41 times)

happylily

No way I could stand up after 6 pints...

7 recovery miles, very late tonight. I have a wine and cheese thing right after work. Hopefully it won't end too late.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The drinking age in PR was 18 (I think they moved it to 21 recently), and I took advantage of that.  It helped that I had a dad that wanted me prepared to withstand alcohol before I went to college.  At least he taught how NOT to get drunk so that no guy could take advantage of me (that was before the rape drug time).  What can I say, we are PRicans.

Damaris

Cyberic

He is definitely not in our age group.  lol

We all have *weaknesses*. One of mine is alcohol. When you were younger and could drink 6 pints, guess how many I was drinking then. I don't feel myself getting drunk. Now that I'm older I found tricks not to go overboard, like follow that guy. Have a beer only when he has one, +1. That's what I did yesterday. I followed my friend Pat and was allowed one more than him. When he left, I left also. Before, I would drink until I was pissed drunk. More than once a week. Those were not my productive years. Every time I drink, it is dangerous I slip and drink too much.

From the Internet.

Morning dailies! 3 easy for me this morning, yesterday was a club workout - mile repeats with 2.5 minutes rest along the course for the 5K the club puts on in October. Ran them in 7:48 (according to Gamin), 7:40, 7:40 (according to coaches' stopwatches), so I think I'm going to adjust my A goal for the fall to sub-24:00.

Had an appointment with the surgeon who will be fixing my hernia yesterday. It's so small and painless that he was OK with putting surgery off until after my race Oct. 5, and he and the nurse both seemed confident that my age and fitness level will allow me to recover quickly from surgery. I'll be able to start walking and easy runs as soon as I'm not in miserable pain post-op, will just have to wait to get the all clear to start lifting again (light at first, obviously) 4-6 weeks after.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Lauren, hope the surgery goes well.  Glad he said OK to waiting until after your race.

Damaris

LRB

Speaking of WI - where's Step been?

She is undertaking a new endeavor (working from home I believe?) and has stated her forum time would be limited for a hwile.

DavePNW

She is undertaking a new endeavor (working from home I believe?) and has stated her forum time would be limited for a hwile.

Glad someone's paying attention.

Dave

LRB

6 pints?  I am in!

Aw shit, that's my kind of girl! 

LRB

No way I could stand up after 6 pints...

Aw shit, that's my kind of girl! 

LRB

We all have *weaknesses*. One of mine is alcohol. When you were younger and could drink 6 pints, guess how many I was drinking then. I don't feel myself getting drunk. Now that I'm older I found tricks not to go overboard, like follow that guy. Have a beer only when he has one, +1. That's what I did yesterday. I followed my friend Pat and was allowed one more than him. When he left, I left also. Before, I would drink until I was pissed drunk. More than once a week. Those were not my productive years. Every time I drink, it is dangerous I slip and drink too much.

Yeah I usually leave after either two glasses of wine or two mixed drinks, four or five domestic beers, or two or three craft beers.

I try to stay away from shots at all costs!  Because usually for me when the shots start flying, that is when my self control is compromised.

But yes, we all have to learn how and when to say when.  Especially these days when there is so much to lose by making a mistake.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Incidentally, back in the 80's Canada's legal age for drinking was 19 and we made that trip once or twice a month.  Great times!

Yep. I think those of us that lived in Detroit area all did that.

Quincy was sick last night. Kept me up until 2 am. He is all better now but I'm exhausted. I needed to get up at 5 to get my run in before the power wash guy came. That wasn't happening. I was awake but I was too tired to run. So now it will be a lunch run. Hope to get my normal but idk if that will be possible.

Marjorie

LRB

The drinking age in PR was 18 (I think they moved it to 21 recently), and I took advantage of that.  It helped that I had a dad that wanted me prepared to withstand alcohol before I went to college.  At least he taught how NOT to get drunk so that no guy could take advantage of me (that was before the rape drug time).  What can I say, we are PRicans.

I love it!

Boon I drink Americano's too.  They are so smooth!

Lauren you have built up the strength to wait 6 weeks to lift after your surgery no problem!

As for me, I got in 6 easy miles the last half mile of which was run about 10 meters behind a guy on a bike.  He had come over to my side of the street so he had to have saw me, but I think at some point he must have forgot I was there and was just lolly gagging along.

Anyway, his pace begin to lag so bad that I finally made a move to pass him.  Boy he looked at me like I was Casper the friendly fuckin ghost!  lol  I scared the shit out of that fool! 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Wow, I shower and go back to sleep for a an hour or so and it's 2 pages......... damn people 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

So today was actually my slowest run in >2 months. I'm not sure if my easy run pace should be getting slower, from putting more into the quality workouts, or if it should be getting faster, since I should be getting faster in general. I have actually been seeing some of both, sort of depending on how I feel that day.

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

Wow, I picked a great day to pop in! Dave and LRB thought of me! Awwww....

Yeah, computer time has had to be dedicated to actual work lately. And my running has dropped off because I'm just not very motivated, having written off the fall racing season due to DH's travels. But I did run today! In brand new shoes, in the rain (well, just drizzle, really). Tried out the Brooks Ghost, and I like.

So, back to your regularly scheduled discussions - I'll try to drop in from time to time, especially once DS is back in school next week and I can actually work uninterrupted during the the day.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.