Beginners and Beyond

The B&B Baseball Thread (Read 80 times)

Happy Opening Day baseball fans! It is the one day when hope springs eternal, and everyone is in first place.

Hope we can keep this thread going, seems to be a lot of fans in the forum. I thought about starting it a few weeks ago, when there was a bunch of baseball smack talk on one of the dailies. But as it was only spring training, I wasn't sure whether it would have the staying power. Plus that same day someone started a butt pic thread, and that kind of took all the oxygen out of the forum.

So everyone can start by checking in & letting us know who your team is, any background behind that, and your prognosis for this season.

I will start with my confession: My name is DaveP, and I am a Cubs fan. If you know of a 12-step program to cure this, please let me know. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, taking the L down to Wrigley and enjoying a lot of wasted days in the bleachers watching horrid baseball. But it sticks with you forever, kind of like herpes. They are going to have another miserable year. Theo Epstein is supposed to be rebuilding, but hopefully he has a secret plan that we don't know about, because I am seeing a lot more breaking down than building. It is pretty sad when you cannot actually name the starting lineup of your favorite team.

Fortunately I have a backup team in the Tigers, as I have lived in the Detroit area the last 20 years. OK to have them as a second team, since they are in a different league. Plus another excuse to root against the White Sox. A lot of rough years for the Tigers as well, from the early 90's through early 2000's. But times have been pretty good the last few years, somewhat with the help of a perpetually weak division. They should have another great year - basically the same as last year's World Series team with the addition of Victor Martinez, Torii Hunter & a full season of Anibel Sanchez. But as far as getting back to the Series, anything can happen. The Angels & Blue Jays will also be AL powerhouses. There are always injuries. And the Tigers' infield defense remains porous, plus they don't actually know who their closer will be. But it will definitely be fun to watch.

Play ball!

Dave

Hip Redux

Let's go Red Sox, clap clap clapclapclap!

I grew up in Boston and after you get your birth certificate, they indoctrinate you into the Red Sox world.   There's really no other choice.

In full disclosure, I could not watch the Sox last year.  Man, they stunk, and they were really painful to watch (and this is from someone who saw Pat Rapp pitch at Fenway park several times!)

Braves fan here. Although I moved to Atlanta in 98, I first started following the Braves when I lived in Richmond, VA beginning in 1990.  Their AAA team was based there.

Braves fans are excited about their young outfiled but still bemoan that Uggla is at 2nd base with his Mendoza line challenging batting average.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

delicate flower

I was born and raised in Connecticut, where you are either a Red Sox fan or a Yankees fan.  Fortunately I am the prior.  I suppose there are Mets fans here too, but they are a small minority.  

I don't expect too much out of the Red Sox this year, but literally anything will be better than last year.  The last ten years have been a real roller coaster ride for Sox fans.

<3

Philliefan33

I'm a Phillies fan (duh -- you probably figured that out from my screenname).

Unfortunately I think the core of our lineup is showing its' age.  But, as DaveP said...hope springs eternal.

Of course, we do have the hands-down best mascot in baseball.

@runjerseygirl

Go Phillies!

We have an impressive (hopefully) bullpen this year.  Let's see if they live up to the hype, and if Howard lives up to his salary.  Not likely.

Do you even run?

@runjerseygirl

I'm a Phillies fan (duh -- you probably figured that out from my screenname).

Unfortunately I think the core of our lineup is showing its' age.  But, as DaveP said...hope springs eternal.

Of course, we do have the hands-down best mascot in baseball.

Werd.  I love the Phanatic!

Do you even run?

Hip Redux

Have you guys seen the scene where Charlie from It's Always Sunny gets into a fight with the Phanatic?  Hilarious.

delicate flower

...and if Howard lives up to his salary. 

I think the Phillies would like to take a mulligan on that one.

<3

@runjerseygirl

Ugh.  Tell me about it.

Do you even run?

catwhoorg

Labrat

Braves should reach the playoffs again this year, despite Uggla's contributions.

Hopefully I'll get down to Turner field a couple of times this season.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Hated Yankees fan over here.  With all the injuries so far, not sure what to expect this year.

Have you guys seen the scene where Charlie from It's Always Sunny gets into a fight with the Phanatic?  Hilarious.

OMG that whole episode is hilarious. Except it wasn't the real Phanatic, it was called something else & looked different. They did not get any kind of official permission from the team - could not even wear shirts with the Phillies logo. Go figure the team does not want to be associated with that show, it is so wholesome.

That show is genius, there are usually a couple points in every episode where DW & I have to pause it because we are laughing so hard. Usually something Charlie did. And there are a couple episodes every season where DW says "this show is disgusting, I'm not going to watch it anymore". But keeps coming back.

Well at least not as many people (nationally anyway) are bashing the Howard contract any more, they are too busy bashing the ARod contract. And in a few years will probably be saying the same about the Pujols contract. 

Dave

Village people

I was born and raised in Connecticut, where you are either a Red Sox fan or a Yankees fan.  

Any fool can be a Yankees fan.

I come from a long line of Red Sox fans. One of the reasons I moved to NH was so I could cheer on the home team. Sorry, John Olerud, I couldn't cheer for you.

Hip Redux

OMG that whole episode is hilarious. Except it wasn't the real Phanatic, it was called something else & looked different. They did not get any kind of official permission from the team - could not even wear shirts with the Phillies logo. Go figure the team does not want to be associated with that show, it is so wholesome.

Yeah, they definitely didn't get permission so it was some phake phanatic, but you knew who it was supposed to be.  And it was Green Man, too, which is just automatically funny.

I come from a long line of Red Sox fans. One of the reasons I moved to NH was so I could cheer on the home team. Sorry, John Olerud, I couldn't cheer for you.

Olerud always looked like a librarian with a baseball glove to me.