Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES: Sweet & Creamy (Read 38 times)

LRB

I have been slowly making my way through Lily's trip report. Great read so far! Day 3 is up next ...

I am up to date on hers but have yet to get to the other three out there, sigh.

B-Plus

I am up to date on hers but have yet to get to the other three out there, sigh.

We are just wanting to make sure they all get the attention they deserve.

happylily

I have been slowly making my way through Lily's trip report. Great read so far! Day 3 is up next ...

You make it sound like it's War and Peace...lol... Sorry about the shoes! How do you get them to ship to Canada? I thought they didn't do that?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Now that I've received my 5 pairs of shoes from RW, the freaking GC promo is on  They still have stock of all the shoes I ordered on discount too 

OK, you are turning into me.

Damaris

B-Plus

You make it sound like it's War and Peace...lol... Sorry about the shoes! How do you get them to ship to Canada? I thought they didn't do that?

Hahaa! No worries I'm enjoying it piece by piece.

For RW, it depends on the brand and whatever restriction the brand has decided to impose. I think you are an Asics wearer, which is a no-go. But I just drive 45 minutes to the border and pick up my stuff there (or more likely a get a friend who often goes to do the pickup!) Should I return my order and then reorder again with GC?

LRB

We are just wanting to make sure they all get the attention they deserve.

Absolutely.  I am all about it!

happylily

Hahaa! No worries I'm enjoying it piece by piece.

For RW, it depends on the brand and whatever restriction the brand has decided to impose. I think you are an Asics wearer, which is a no-go. But I just drive 45 minutes to the border and pick up my stuff there (or more likely a get a friend who often goes to do the pickup!) Should I return my order and then reorder again with GC?

If it means you'd save over a $100 and it takes you less than an hour to send them back, then I would do it if I were you. Or ask them directly. Maybe they'll give you a credit for the difference...

DavePNW

The fact that she's a runner is certainly a good thing, Dave. Is your knee pain still as bad, or does it feel a tad better with the self-imposed rest?

Feels fine now that I have stopped stressing it. I have been swimming a little which doesn't cause any problems (other than for me, potential for drowning). I tried the elliptical & stationary bike last week & both still cause pain.

She also essentially confirmed the diagnosis seemed reasonable. Although patellar tendonitis is more typically an overuse injury, the tendon can become inflamed from impact/trauma. And then further aggravated by doing something stupid like running a marathon on it.

Dave

happylily

Feels fine now that I have stopped stressing it. I have been swimming a little which doesn't cause any problems (other than for me, potential for drowning). I tried the elliptical & stationary bike last week & both still cause pain.

She also essentially confirmed the diagnosis seemed reasonable. Although patellar tendonitis is more typically an overuse injury, the tendon can become inflamed from impact/trauma. And then further aggravated by doing something stupid like running a marathon on it.

I remember telling you NOT to run the marathon if there were any pain left. Even a little. But I would have done EXACTLY what you did, Dave. Even if you have to take another 5-6 weeks off (hopefully you won't...), you will come back with very little loss. It took me about a month to gain back all that I had lost during my two month injury last year. Oh and swimming? You are brave... Any chance of a future triathlete in the making?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I remember telling you NOT to run the marathon if there were any pain left. Even a little. But I would have done EXACTLY what you did, Dave. Even if you have to take another 5-6 weeks off (hopefully you won't...), you will come back with very little loss. It took me about a month to gain back all that I had lost during my two month injury last year. Oh and swimming? You are brave... Any chance of a future triathlete in the making?

If he does not drown, possible.

Damaris

DavePNW

If he does not drown, possible.

Dave

onemile

What Lily said. I don't think running the marathon was stupid. It just came at a risk and you decided the risk was worth it and looking back, I am guessing it was still worth it.  Being injured sucks but the timing probably isn't terrible. Some time off post-marathon isn't a bad thing.

I hope your PT is able to help you get back soon.  And that you don't drown.

onemile

I ran for 30 minutes yesterday afternoon.  Didn't feel too terrible. I'm not sure if I will run tonight, though it is probably one of the last 'warm' days.

LRB

To better gauge their competence level, ask if a person could run a marathon with your condition.  lol

DavePNW

I did do a test run the Thursday before the race, full prepared to DNS if it was painful. But it was not. I knew the risk of running it anyway, and I don't regret it because the race worked out OK. And you never know what will happen if you wait. I still have in the back of my mind that each marathon could be my last, because you never do know when you might develop a condition that will prevent you from training properly for them (especially at "our age"). I think you have roughly the same mindset. Make hay while the sun shines.

Losing the fitness is a big concern. Even if I get back to running by the end of the year, that will be the time I should be into a training plan for a spring marathon already. So I should ideally have the base by then, not just starting to build it back up. Just take it as it comes, I guess.

And the swimming - the way I do it is really just embarrassing, I will likely drop that as soon as I can run again.

Dave