Beginners and Beyond

TUESdaily Penguins (Read 24 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

So, where is the Stanley Cup this morning?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  5 with strides tonight!

jerry, not sure.  I don't watch hockey *ducks*

Damaris

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Yeah HAWKS!

I got like 4 1/3 miles in this morning.  Part of that with my wife, and dog.  I'm going to get another 4-5 tonight, but with the on and off storms and 93% humidity I might actually give the treadmill a shot.  Oh boy.  Wish me luck....lol  I have to admit.  I actually do like the training log here.  Now, I just need to get into different types of runs, so I can make my graph all colorful and stuff.  It's not worth setting up right now since it's all easy miles.  I guess I could put in a color for long run.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I don't think the Ducks even made the playoffs.

Morning.  5 with strides tonight!

jerry, not sure.  I don't watch hockey *ducks*

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Good morning!

With hot / humid / thunderstorms in the forecast all week, I swithched to morning running.  I did 5 miles this morning at an easy efffort -- I must have been half asleep because when I checked my overall pace after my run, I was really slow.

Bin Running

7M today. Rained today but not at my area. Should still bring the haze down though.

Awood, I like the log here too. I am still using excel to track as a backup.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

Hello, Penguins!!  I had my alarm set for 5 AM this morning, but I also had earplugs in so I could sleep.  DH got up with Dusty at 5 when my alarm went off, and left me sleeping soundly, because he wasn't in a running mood.  I eventually rolled over about 5:30, which does not leave me any excuse for being this late to work!  So eh, maybe tomorrow ...

Oh, and they're doing inventory in the chemical storage room next door.  It smells like Godzilla farts in the hallway!

Jerryb -- good morning!!

Docket -- have fun with the strides!!

Awood -- the problem with running is definitely the weather!  

Phillie -- I'm always slower in the morning too.  It takes me a while to wake up.

Bin -- hope the rain helps!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Morning guys!

Awood, I've been using the training log for quite a while.  Its just like the one at RW before they made you start paying for it (which is mostly why I'm RA instead of RW now.)  I lost some info in the transfer, but sucked it up and started where I could.  All in all, I like being able to look back, and compare what I'm doing now to other training periods etc.  The graphs are fun!

Scotty-- I saw the trauma that you went through the last few days.  I"m so, so sorry.  I hope you're no longer in much pain-- noooo, I don't mean I hope you died from it, but please be better!  Hugs sweetness.

Boy, I looked at yesterday's thread and it was HUGE!  I was so scared after all the weekend threads that everyone else might have decided to abandon RA B&B all together.  That would make me sad because I really don't want to do all my running stuff on fb.  Anyway, I'm in Colorado springs now.  Its quite a bit cooler then south Arizona, so I'm loving that.  Not much smoke around town, but I think the fires are now closer to Denver?  Ohhh, I don't know, i'm on vacation, who watches the news?  I haven't ran since saturday, but tonight plan on doing a 5k run with Jack Quinn's running club/ Irish pub!  Should be interesting.  I'm supposed to meet jjs22 there.  So that should be pretty fun also.

Hope y'all are staying cool enough and aren't hurting yourselves anymore.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

tracilynn

Well my right ITB  and knee is hurting now.  My last run on Sunday was only 3.5 miles at 11:45 pace and my ITB acts up?! WTF.  Angry I do myrtl strength exercises almost every single day and have for months.  Ive been icing and taking Mobic.  Rolling 3746 times/day.  Took yesterday off.   Taking today off and if this turns in to full blown ITB again then Im done.  Im guess Im just a delicate flowerDead or deformed.   DAMMIT.  Thinking about trying Hokas as my last ditch too.  Hmmm

Hope everyone is having a good Tuesday

~~~~~~~

Traci

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning!

I have off my fulltime job this week, and I have a 10K next Thurs (4th of July) that I am dyyyying to get a sub-60 in, so I am moving my runs around to do my harder/longer stuff during the week instead of the weekend so I have more days between my long run and my race.

Today was the "aerobic run" which is basically a MLR. I did 5.25 miles at an easy pace. I got started at 8:30 (didn't want to wake up at the crack of dawn when I didn't have work) but I really should have started earlier because it was already 82 degrees, 60% humidity, "feels like" 87, sunny, and a heat advisory in effect. YIKES! Luckily, my hydration belt I had ordered just came in the mail on Friday, so this seemed like a good time to give it it's inaugural run. My pace was SLOW today....slower than my usual easy pace....would that be the heat and humidity?

My RR from the Giants race is up for those interested!

Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Singer who runs a smidge

Well my right ITB  and knee is hurting now.  My last run on Sunday was only 3.5 miles at 11:45 pace and my ITB acts up?! WTF.  Angry I do myrtl strength exercises almost every single day and have for months.  Ive been icing and taking Mobic.  Rolling 3746 times/day.  Took yesterday off.   Taking today off and if this turns in to full blown ITB again then Im done.  Im guess Im just a delicate flowerDead or deformed.   DAMMIT.  Thinking about trying Hokas as my last ditch too.  Hmmm

Maybe consider going the other direction and going minimalist ... I hate to evangelize, especially since I'm dealing with knee issues, but if you go to Wal-Mart and get a pair of cheap water shoes and run a little in them, then you'll know if minimalist will help without spending $$$.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Those damn ITBs!!! As someone who has been struggling with ITBS too, I hear ya. Have you gone to physical therapy for it?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

TraciLynn Sad I can't believe after all this waiting you're still having trouble.  It really doesn;t seem fair.  I just hope this is just a set back, and you don't have to give up on running completely, though there are other activities that might work.  More then anything, its important to get yourself healthy.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ugh, tracilynn!  As to the Hokas, I love mine but not sure if they can help with ITB.  Are you sure you're using the right shoes?  Maybe go back to the LRS to get tested again and see if there is anything different than last time.  Good luck.

Damaris