Beginners and Beyond

TUESdaily Penguins (Read 24 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

One of the reasons you will never see me wearing dark colors in FL is that stupid tropical sun.  It can burn you into a crisp before you reach the 5K point.  Joy.

Verified by science. I found this on some medical science research website:

Dark-colored clothes are better absorbers and emitters of heat than light-colored ones. If you wear dark clothes in hot weather, these clothes will absorb more heat than if you wear lighter-colored clothes. That's why it is medically advisable to wear light-colored clothes in hot weather.

So I'm wondering, when you see those movies like Lawrence of Arabia, and other 'desert' movies, why some of those folks are wearing all black out there on those hot sands?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't think I run in the hottest part of the day.  I start at 6pm and I'm done before 10am when I run mornings.  I do have to use 50-70spf when I run mornings, though.

Damaris, since you run all the time in hot part of the day in Miami, I'm just amazed you have not had any bouts of skin cancer yet or don't get a lot of basal cell carcinomas all over you! Stay safe out there, young lady.

Damaris

Zelanie

Scotty- Pretty much that's how it is!  They go all Frankenstein on this one quad muscle to make it contract.  WW = Weight Watchers.  Sounds like your fever has broken, glad you're feeling better!

Sorry about the interrupted run, Coralie, and the lack of sleep, sounds like a long night for you. Enjoy the camp with your daughter!  Hope you get some good quality sleep tonite.

Good luck with your run on the TM, Ginny.  How you folks that do the TM stay on that thing for any length of time and distance amazes me; y'all have a lot of patience!

Damaris, since you run all the time in hot part of the day in Miami, I'm just amazed you have not had any bouts of skin cancer yet or don't get a lot of basal cell carcinomas all over you! Stay safe out there, young lady.

Zelanie, reading your post, I got this image in my head of you doing your thing on the strange machine and your PT watching you and yelling out "She's alive!  She's alive!"  Joking  What's "WW"?  All I could think of, lol, is Wally's World...

Congrats on your 6 easy miles, Jack.   Yeah, I still don't get why San Antonio has a hockey team too.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Interesting.

And haha, the magic of Hollywood.

Verified by science. I found this on some medical science research website:

Dark-colored clothes are better absorbers and emitters of heat than light-colored ones. If you wear dark clothes in hot weather, these clothes will absorb more heat than if you wear lighter-colored clothes. That's why it is medically advisable to wear light-colored clothes in hot weather.

So I'm wondering, when you see those movies like Lawrence of Arabia, and other 'desert' movies, why some of those folks are wearing all black out there on those hot sands?

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

What I meant to say is that where we live, the sun is still at probably 10 o'clock (if you look at the horizon as a clock).  Especially in the Summer.

And what Ginny says.  I have that position of the sun for most of the year.  And it sucks when it's in the 90s still at 7pm and the sun feels like it's still early afternoon.

Oh, I think I understand.  When I lived in WA, the sun would rise at 4:30 and set around 11:00 in the summer, which was weird.  And all that lovely sun didn't really compensate for the winter, when I'd go to work before sunrise and leave after sunset.  I mean really, sunset at 4:00??

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Of course, DH was really tired last night, so we went to bed around 8:30 and I read to him for a while.  Dusty was really affronted that we went to bed in perfectly good daylight -- he kept whining to get out of his crate and go play!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Haha.  Poor boy.  They are so spoiled, aren't they?

Hershey keeps crying in the middle of the night for no apparent reason (basically he wants me to get up and go take him to his food like he is a baby).  My husband started using the water bottle.  To no avail.  He runs away, waits 30 minutes and starts again.  He is dumb as a doorknob!

Of course, DH was really tired last night, so we went to bed around 8:30 and I read to him for a while.  Dusty was really affronted that we went to bed in perfectly good daylight -- he kept whining to get out of his crate and go play!

Damaris

hog4life

I run last night at 10:30 pm, and it was so much nicer than 6:00 pm.

Zel, that is wierd about the machine. What type of knee strengthening exercises do you have or recommend? I think I need to start doing some.

Traci, that just sucks, hang in there. I sent you a PM.

Cherie, FWIW, I'm staying here, even if that means just me and you. I only go back to post my miles. With all the threads lately, about, well, you know, I've been doing some lurking, but still seem to like it here the most.

Zelanie

Mitch- I PM'ed you pretty much my whole routine.  Hope it helps.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: Glad you are feeling better. Being sick in the summer is the worst!

hog: I know what you mean about those night runs. Very cool.

Philliefan33

Because the bad guys wear black!  How else would we know they are the bad guys?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Because the bad guys wear black!  How else would we know they are the bad guys?

OK, that made me laugh.  Thanks, Margo.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

OK, that made me laugh.  Thanks, Margo.

me too!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Exercise today was going up on my roof with a camp saw and removing a tree limb that fell in last nights storm.  Also took my TrailBlazer to the bodyshop to estimate the dent repairs from another branch falling on my hood.  That delayed my Doctor call as I don't multitask.  I know he will take a wait and see attitude, so I might just go to Athletico PT for their free consultation.  All pain is gone, but I won't run for at least a week.  DW actually ran solo, on the indoor track.

Don't work too hard, Scott.  Glad you are better.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - I'm glad you're feeling better.  Smart to wait a bit though to run.  Good luck with the medicos this week.

Jerry - two branches doing damage?  Time to trim the trees.

Mitch - we walk the dog late at night, and I've wondered what it would be like to run then.  Okay in the neighborhood, but not so much on the farm roads, I think.  I don't want to be jumping into a ditch when I can't see what else is in there.  But for short runs, maybe.

Damaris - I honestly don't know how you do it.  I've walked in high heat, but it's different running.

Z - weird machine.  I hope it helps.

My run was good - 8 miles with two at race pace.  It never did rain, so I stayed indoors.  Tomorrow we're heading north, I think, to do some camping and check out the section of the Midstate Trail that we are responsible for maintaining.  We may head into New York or Mass. afterwards for a week or two of camping.  I should be able to run.