Beginners and Beyond

New Year New Penguin Thursday (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Morning all! Happy New Year!

6 on the TM after coffee today then some black eyed peas & greens later!

This marathon stuff is nothing, as long as I can do it over 5 days.

If anyone is interested Amazon has Anatomy for Runners: [Kindle Edition] on sale for $1.99.today Even if ou don't have a kindle you can download the reader for free for PC, tablet or phone.

obiebyke

Happy New Year! 3 miles later.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Robert31320

Team TJ

Happy New Year Penguins.

3.3 miles done to start 2015.

Running for TJ because he can't.

on my way to badass

Happy New Year Penguins! Enjoy those peas 'n greens PAD. Enjoy the miles Obie. Good start to the new year Robert! 3.5 mile race for me at noon, unless I want to tackle a HM.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning and Happy New Year!  I have 10-15 miles tonight.  I better hydrate.

Damaris

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all. On my way home from New Orleans. The blerch has been well fed but I also did a lot of walking. It will be interesting to see where my weight is at Tongue

One last streak mile on tap for today. I am on the fence about continuing streaking.

Happy new new year everyone Smile

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

tracilynn

Happy New Year!

$1.99 is a good deal for that book. Lots of good info in that book, lots of technical biomechanic explanations if you're in to that kinda thing.

just finished my Cheerios and about to head out for 4 miles or so.  Greens and peas and cornbread later! Woo!

~~~~~~~

Traci

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Happy New Year penguin family!!

2014 was not a great running year for me if we count just overall miles.  According to my most accurate source covered somewhere in the vicinity of 250 miles for all of 2014.  You know what... I covered 250 miles!  That's 250 miles not on the couch.  That's 250 miles not on facebook.  That was hours of time on my feet and moving.  I've clearly been absentee here, as well.

2015 brings new beginnings.  Tomorrow is my last day with my current employer and, after 21 years working the floor, the last shift I'll spend as a 911 Dispatcher.  Monday I step into the shoes of a director of a 911 Dispatch Center.  2015 will (hopefully) bring the sale of a house and a move to new town not terribly far from where I am now and no farther from a running friend that frequents here (Mike - if you see this, we have some trails to conquer this year).  I officially started running in July 2006 so I can't say I'll start running but I will once again find my running legs.

I don't believe in making resolutions for myself but I do believe in setting goals.  Call in semantics but that a "me" thing.  My goal this year is simply to find my joy of running again.  I still remember the freeing sensation of those first few months as a new runner in July 2006.  My goal - simply find my joy of running again.

Thank you for tolerating my grandiose declaration!  LOL   I promise to not be this verbose in the future!!

Almost forgot... 2 miles on the treadmill, walking.  Shaking out the cobwebs.

Welcome to 2015!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy New Year Pengs!!!

We will finish the holiday streak (and start the 2015 miles game) when the Rose Parade is over.  Lots of footbal to watch today.

Have a great 2015....

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Welcome back, Vance.  Good luck with the new job.

From the Internet.

Happy new year pens! Going to run a few miles with friends in a little while.

I failed miserably at the holiday streak since it happened that my 2014in2014 team made the finals this year - needed rest days in between my higher mileage weeks. Almost made my December goal of 130 miles, but my shin was acting up so I had to take a couple days off and skip a long run this weekend. Ran 4.5 on Tuesday and 8 yesterday and it was OK, I might just have to drop back to running 5 days/week and occasionally 6 or 7 instead of being aggressive about that 6-7. While I desperately want to get comfortable at 40mpw, I'm also realizing that even if I don't quite hit that goal when I want (end of January), I'll still be in fine shape to finish my HM in May since I'm already running one 7-8 miler and one 10ish miler every week.

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  Good to see you, Vance, and good luck in the new job!

We are going to take the kids and dogs up into the mountains to play in the snow.  There's not a lot of snow yet, so it will be a bit of a haul.

6-8 after.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

N-Bug is back!

Traci: Great stuff on FB last night. I wish I had thought of that when my kids were little. Smile

Happy New Year, Pens.

9 miles done,8:24 pace,  in what felt like 45 degrees or so. That is pretty cold for here. I wore gloves and my ear warmer headband thingy and that was enough. Even with shorts and short sleeves I was warm after a few miles. If it gets any colder the long sleeves will come out.

Shower, breakfast, football, in that order.

hog4life

Starting the new year off on the couch, it's 35 degrees and raining.

Happy New Year everyone! Let 2015 be a great year.