Beginners and Beyond

Onemile's Indy Monumental RR (Read 82 times)

onemile

Background:  Last spring I ran a 1:34 half marathon and decided I wanted to run a 3:20 marathon this fall.  Signed up for Indy Monumental.  Then I injured my calf.  Had to take all of June off.  By July I was running again and I decided to try jumping into a 12 week training program and see how it went.

The training:  I had originally planned to use a modified Daniels plan but after getting injured, I wasn’t ready to jump into something so hard. I needed something easier to get back to doing speedwork since I hadn’t done any since the previous April.  My bf had purchased a custom McMillan training plan and then never used it.  He offered to give it to me so I filled out the questionnaire with my training history, preferences and injury history and McMillan sent me a 12 week training plan custom for me.  I ended up averaging just over 60 mpw for the 12 weeks prior to taper and even did a few 20 mile runs (as a former Hansons fangirl, I hadn’t done one since 2010!  They sucked as much as I remembered ).

The goal:  After my injury I lost a lot of fitness and I spent half of this training cycle getting that back.  I ran a tune up half 6 weeks out in 1:34 so I knew my fitness was back but I also knew I wasn’t in 3:20 shape.  Based on my half and how my training paces felt, I thought a 7:45 pace seemed reasonable (3:23:30).  But then as it drew near the weather forecasts made me nervous – 29 degrees at the start with a 17mph headwind with gusts up to 24 mph for the first half.  I decided the smart thing would be to run with the 3:25 pace group for the first half and use them as a wind block and then try to pick it up once the wind was at my back.  I was hoping I could still get that minute back and still have a 3:23: xx time.

Race day:  After much deliberation, I decided to go with shorts, compression socks, a light long sleeve, light short sleeve, thin beanie and throwaway gloves.  I was worried my legs would be cold but I just feel so much faster in shorts than tights (or capris!).   The walk to the start was FREEZING.  Thankfully my hotel was close. When I got into the corral, I found the 3:25 pacer. I had talked to him at the expo and he told me his plan was to run exactly a 7:49 pace and he wanted to finish exactly at 3:24:59.  

Really dreading going out in the cold and wondering why I signed up for this stupid thing.

Miles 1-5:  The first few miles were very crowded.  I tried to stay close to the pacer because I knew when it thinned out, I wanted to have the pace group to shield the wind.  I was very happy with how relaxed and comfortable the pace felt.  My calf and ITB felt a little cranky but that’s pretty normal and I hoped it would go away once I got warmed up (and it did).  7:47, 7:41, 7:43, 7:37, 7:48

Miles 6-10:  The crowds thinned out a bit but the pace group was fairly large and I just hung on the back of it – the pace still felt comfortable and the wind was barely noticeable. Some of the guys next to me commented the pacer was going too fast but it felt like the right pace to me and I had wanted to run a bit faster anyway so I was happy with it.  My only problem was a few times I missed out on water at the water stop because the people in front of me grabbed it and I didn’t want to stop to wait for a cup.  7:43, 7:41, 7:43, 7:45, 7:45

Miles 11-16:  The sun came out and it was getting warmer (which was nice). I tossed my gloves and put on my sunglasses.  I was surprised to see my watch at 1:41:01 at the half (on pace for a 3:22 and still with the 3:25 pace group).  Shortly after the half, some guy abruptly slowed right in front of me and I lost my balance trying not to run into him and fell hard.  I got up and caught back up to the pace group without much difficulty.  I didn’t even realize it at the time but I had a bloody knee for the rest of the race (I’m sure my race photos turned out awesome).  I had planned to speed up after the half way because the wind would be at my back but the pace I was running at the time felt like the right effort for where I was in the race so I stuck with it.  7:38, 7:36, 7:34, 7:47, 7:46, 7:48

Miles 17-20:  This is where it started getting hard.  My hips were hurting and the pace wasn’t coming so easy any more.  I tried passing the 3:25 group shortly after mile 16 but he passed me right back a few minutes later so I just continued to run with the group.  7:47, 7:51, 7:43, 7:48

Miles 21-26.2:  I was working pretty hard to maintain pace.  The pacer was slowing so I made my way to the front of the group.  The pacer was right behind me and he commented to me that I looked like I was doing pretty good and I asked him how far ahead we were of pace and he said about 1:45.  I decided to try to go ahead and just run the last 5 miles on my own as fast as I could manage.  My legs were very tired and my quads and hamstrings and calves were ready to be done.  I tried to just zone out and focus on running.  I remember it feeling very windy here as the course turned toward the east.  Some of my splits were slow here and I don’t know if it was the wind or me losing focus but I stayed ahead of the pace group for the rest of the race.  I stopped looking at my watch the last few miles and just tried to keep moving my legs.  7:50, 7:54, 7:54, 7:45, 7:42, 7:46, 7:30

Final time:  3:23:12.

First half: 1:41:01 (pace: 7:43 , rank: 584 Wink Last half:1:42:11  (pace: 7:48 , rank: 412 Wink

AG place: 23 out of 263

Gender place: 79 out of 1562 females

Really happy with this race. I think it was my best paced race so far. I lost about a minute in the second half but finished feeling like I couldn’t have run it any faster.  This is an almost 9 minute PR for me.  I am REALLY sore today.  I think this is the worst I have felt post marathon. I can barely walk and getting up/sitting down is the worst.  But totally worth it. 

GinnyinPA

Congratulations!  What a well run race.  It looks like you had a really good understanding of your fitness and executed the race well.  Given the conditions, and your fall, that is especially well done.  In a way, the conditions helped, because you weren't tempted to go it alone.  Did the pacer manage to get his group in on schedule?

LRB

Very nicely executed!  It seems you had everything covered including sunglasses when the sun came out. The only part missing there was a line stating you proceeded to kick ass.  lol

So was there any point where you had second thoughts about not wearing a singlet and arm sleeves? Since you did not mention it as a negative, I assume you choice in gear worked perfectly.

Nice job staying on pace after the fall, that's impressive!

DavePNW

Tremendous race. I've said it a few times already, but you really put on a pacing clinic out there. You clearly picked the right goal time, and gave it everything you had to hit it. Especially impressive after your injury; I know for a while you doubted even running this one.

Glad you were able to recover from the fall. Although based on personal experience, maybe better to do it then, when the adrenaline keeps you going for the rest of the race, than a week before the race. You might be feeling that for a while. And sounds like you are feeling everything else too; maximum effort = maximum soreness.

Congrats, and enjoy some rest!

Dave

delicate flower

Very impressive showing, onemile!  Textbook execution.  Loved your strategy of letting the pace group block the wind...I will be stealing that strategy if my marathon day is windy.  9 minute PR is huge.  Great job!!

<3

DavePNW

I didn’t even realize it at the time but I had a bloody knee for the rest of the race (I’m sure my race photos turned out TOTALLY BADASS). 

Also, FYP.

Dave

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Wow. That sounds like you ran that one perfectly! Awesome splits and very, very consistent. That knee looks bad but it doesn't sound like it bothered you. I'm sure you were fully dialed in and in the zone. Well done, onemile, very well done.

Cyberic

Huge PR here! Seems like you did everything perfectly.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats on a perfect race!  It's great to see you smash that race after your injury.

Damaris

workinprogress11

I don't think you could have run a better race. I am in awe of your pacing. Congratulations and I hope that knee heals up soon!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome job Onemile, too bad we couldn't run into each other but you are WAY faster than me. Just looking at your outfit makes me shiver lol, so glad you beat your goal time too Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

PADRunner

Congrats on a great race.

hog4life

Congratulations! !

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Congrats on a good race, glad it was up to your expectations.  Better than a hot race in the end I assume!

Can you fill us in on your nutrition both carb loading and during the race.  Inquiring minds just need to know!

Were you happy with the pace group?

Did the guy who stopped and caused your fall rejoin the group?  Why did he stop the idiot?

In your photo you really do not want to go out in the cold - priceless.

What are your future goals, a spring marathon, or step down to half, or just take a break.

Again, nice job, you have always been a determined runner and I have benefited from your experience and knowledge that you shared here, on RWOL and in some of the facebook groups.  Relax, enjoy and hope for just a little snow in December and then not much after.

onemile

Ginny - Thanks - the pacer ended up running a 2.5 minute positive split so that his finish time was pretty close to what it should have been.  I heard that he finished alone.  First half:1:41:01, last half:1:43:30, net time: 3:24:30

LRB - Thank you.  I felt slightly cold during a couple windy parts in the first half and slightly warm during a couple parts on the second half of the course once the sun came out but mostly I was very comfortable in what I chose to wear.  If I had to do it again, I would wear the same outfit.  I think I would have been too cold with a singlet/arm warmers.

DaveP - I'd like to take more credit on the pacing but a lot of it was luck that the pacer was running a good pace for me.

Baboon - Thanks - drafting is awesome for sure.   I am looking forward to seeing you smash your race!

Jack - Thanks - the knee (and my elbow) hurt a bit for a couple miles but then it disappeared.  Today it just feels like a road rash.  It was more irritating than injuring I think!

Cyber, Docket, Work, PAD - Thank you! 

FreeSoul - I might be there again next year and if I am we will have to say hi.  Hopefully it won't be so cold!