Beginners and Beyond

Tired Thursday Penguins (Read 19 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

LASIK means my eyes are dry and painful (hopefully temporary) so I didn't sleep much last night.  I took yesterday as a rest day, so I should run some number of miles today.  I'll be wearing my snazzy doctor approved shades and will be carrying some eye drops with me, that's for sure.  My left eye was 20/20 as of yesterday, but my right eye was only 20/50 -- hopefully that improves otherwise the right eye has to get lasered again in 6 months :-(  For me that machine was terrifying... maybe I should have insisted that they give me valium, but I've never taken any sort of sedative before so they didn't seem keep on giving me one.  For me at least LASIK was way scarier than getting an MRI.

For those of you with marathon experience -- how many miles should you have on your "marathon shoes" on race day?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

sapf, forgot to tell you, buy Refresh PM ointment.  I still use it today. It helps with the dryness.  And buy Celluvisc and use drops a lot.  It's part of the healing process.  My eyes ended up a bit dryer (although my eyes have been dry forever and maybe it's just now that I have noticed).  The ointment will help you sleep.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have Pilates and mysterious miles again, ha.

Sapf, I have used shoes straight from the box and some with 150 miles.  More than that, I won't go.

Damaris

Zelanie

Morning!  I have mystery miles today!  I ran a mystery track workout on the TM last night.  The watch doesn't seem to do as well in non-GPS mode for fast or slow intervals, although it seems pretty accurate at "easy" pace.

Also, I'm flying out tonight to go to weight watchers leader training.  They only do the training in Chicago or Dallas, so off I go!

sapf- I aim for fewer than 100 miles on them.

D- Enjoy your mysterious miles.  But don't be afraid to stop early if you feel tired! Wink

GinnyinPA

sapf - I hope the eye pain eases today and that you are able to do some miles.

D - enjoy your mystery miles and Pilates.  I thought you usually do your running in the a.m. on Thursdays?

Z - so are you going to Chi or Dallas?  Enjoy your trip and your training.  Say hi to Oprah.

I'll probably do a few miles later.  DH was up at 4:30 with his sore back, so I ended waking up earlier than usual too.  Am I too tired to trot today? We'll see. So far coffee has not helped at all.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jill, for this year's LA Marathon, I wore a pair that had 500 miles on them.  Just the first of many fails that day.   It's what happens when you have 4 pairs of the same shoe in different colors, and you get up at 3 in the morning and don't pay attention to which shoes you put on in the dim light.  When I got to Dodger Stadium and realized what I'd done, I started sobbing.  (the 2nd fail...)  Anyway, I agree with Damaris except on the zero part.  I'd have maybe 50-150 miles.

Damaris, Zel, and Ginny - hope you have some great miles, whatever they are.

I'm still feeling tired but am going to head out for short miles now that the sun is coming up.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes, Ginny. I might have (or might have not) mysteriously run this morning. Great memory.

Damaris

From the Internet.

I'm at the gym and just realized I forgot to brush my teeth after breakfast this morning. Blech! Gonna be a long day!

Medium-long this morning, deadlifts and OHP right now, bunch of stuff to get done at work, riding friend's horse late afternoon. I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I am dragging today, it was just difficult to get myself out of bed and get moving.  I'm wondering if I'm coming down with a bit of a cold -- hopefully some sleeping in this weekend will boost my immune system back up.  I don't think I've been sick this year, so maybe it's my turn!  Chorus rehearsal tonight, woo-hoo!!

sapf -- hope your eyes continue to improve!!

Docket -- enjoy your Pilates and 137 miles!!

Zelanie -- enjoy your 138 miles!!  

Ginny -- sorry your DH is having back issues!!  

Brilliant -- enjoy your short miles!!

Lauren -- oops!!  Sounds like a busy day, woo-hoo!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

PADRunner

I ran this morning and made up the distance I was short yesterday.

Z - You coming to Dallas?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning.  Took a sick day today, due to a hacking cough.  Probably passed it around work yesterday.   I'll  run mystery miles later.  Calling in sick is not an option for that Sad

Hope the eyes heal quickly Jill.

Pile up those miles, D.

Safe trip, Z.

I sympathize with hubby, Ginny.

Have a good run, Bri.

Don't forget to brush, Lauren.

Looks like we have something in common, HsM Sad

Philliefan33

No mystery for me, I ran 2.16 miles this morning. (since so many penguins are being secretive I decided to be very precise with my mileage). It felt better than yesterday's run. Later I will mow the grass, which according to my Fitbit is 2.5 miles of walking. But I don't log that -- I'm not that desperate for mileage!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

My run outside went well.  I was worried about sweat getting into my eyes but it was fine.  I stopped in the middle to do some drops (just in case) but everything seems to be fine.  Then I showered and did my antibiotic drops just in case any nastiness from the great outdoors had gotten into my eyes.  While running my eyes were less painful than when I'm just sitting around - maybe because I wasn't so focused on my eyes and was instead focused on running.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run/walk this morning at Fort Sam Houston; oh, sorry JOINT BASE Fort Sam Houston; was raining on me when I started and I wish it had kept on raining; but no, it stopped, and the dang humidity went up about 20%, sheesh. At one point I was running on the track with some young military guys who were doing their timed PT run, and giving some of them some encouragement as they passed by me. As I came up on one "kid" - maybe all of about 21 years old - I heard him mutter 'this is killing me." I came alongside him and said "you can do this; you are stronger than you think you are; dig deep and find that place inside you; it's there; just let it out.". I then ran with him for a bit and then as we approached where he would finish his run, we could hear the timer NCOs and others in his unit cheering him in and encouraging him. I told him "Come on, strong finish!" and we both took off for the timer guy. As we got closer I said loudly to him "C'mon, kid, I'm an old man..I KNOW you can get to the finish before me." He took me at my work, lol, and was off like a bat outta hell for that last 100 yards. He beat me to the line by about 40 seconds. Big smile on his face and he thanked me and shook my hand so much, I thought my arm was going to fall off, lol. The timer NCO came over and shook my hand and thanked me for helping the kid and told me the kid had passed his timed run...finishing 2 minutes under the qualifying time, the first time he had done that. I told him, well, sometimes a person just needs a bit of incentive...like beating a retired old fart like me, and we both shared a laugh at that. I then completed the rest of my run/walk, I still had a mile to go to get back to the gym. Ended up with 4.2 miles done, plus a nice experience with some of our good young active duty military kids just beginning their military lives. Nice way to start the day.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt