Beginners and Beyond

SunDAILIES - Rise of the meniscus (Read 43 times)

Hi dailies:

Tom - peanuts and beer should be some sort of cross-training, right?

Beth - hope your auction went well

Jack - insane, no.  Dedicated, yes.

Rick - happy football day... why are the Steelers suddenly winning games at our expense?  Continued wishes for your runs to be painless again.

D- kick someone in the face for me, please

jjs - back at it, good

Ric-G - good easy 10

Scap - cool that you can find strangers to run with

Baboon - quality as usual, nice

Sparker - be safe in the crazy weather

OOTB - are any of the eggs green?

Zelanie - haha, color run bandit

Redrum - wax on, wax off

Oski - huh, it looks scary on the graph.  Glad you're fine.

26.2 at a briskly easy pace, because I was feeling mentally and physically good and the weather was favorable.

A car blared its horn at me as well while coming up from behind.  Not a nice "honk honk" from someone who might have recognized me, just spiteful.  I flipped them a "you're number one" hand gesture, but sadly they did not stop to garner further wishes of a pleasant morning.

LRB

Rick - happy football day... why are the Steelers suddenly winning games at our expense?

That one hurt.  You race today?

Blue, I cannot see it.

outoftheblue

Tried it again, but no luck.    I can't seem to post pictures on this forum.

Life is good.

You race today?

Nah, holding out for Turkey Day.

LRB

Tried it again, but no luck.    I can't seem to post pictures on this forum.

Crap.

Jay, you are a beast!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Forgot to check in this weekend....my grandma is staying at my parent's house for the week (she lives in Georgia), and yesterday was her birthday, so I spent the weekend doing family stuff. Ended up not running Saturday....long story.... but FINALLY got a run in today! First since my 10K a week ago. 6.5 miles. Wanted a little more but didn't want to push it after a full week off..... my shin is still being fussy.....it has been three weeks that it has been bugging me, and have ran very low mileage in these weeks....any tips? Obviously rest isn't fixing it....any good stretches? I feel like it needs to stretch, it feels really tight, but other than just pointing my toe I can't really figure out how to stretch my shin.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

Jay- Nice run!

For all of you greyhound fans out there, today at the park one of the local greyhounds decided to open up for a full-speed-ahead run.  Beautiful!  I don't get to see them running that often, usually they seem to prefer to mill about and sniff stuff.  He also just barely missed running right through a soccer game, but turned just in time.

Hip Redux

Greyhounds take retirement seriously. lol  But when they want to run, look out!  Crazy fast.

Just B.S.

8.12 miles with 600 feet of climb done at feels easy pace just under a 10 mm pace. My race pace of 3-4 years ago is now my easy pace. 14 years of running and still getting faster feels good.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Dang it, Oski! You can't catch a break sometimes.

I hope you get it all sorted out.

If it means anything, in the earlier part of my running "career", I used to get lightheaded and dizzy if I squatted down and then stood up later in the day after running that morning. There were a couple of times in the store where I had to just stop and hope I didn't pass out. But as time passed, that issue passed also. I believe that in my case, it was a low blood pressure situation. Not sure that relates to your situation though.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

LRB

Tornado warnings abound and my power has already went off and on four times.  I can tolerate a lot but sleeping in total silence (I sleep with a fan on) is a deal breaker.  I do not know how people do that but the few times I have had t do it, I nearly went loco!

Hip Redux

Dang it, Oski! You can't catch a break sometimes.

I hope you get it all sorted out.

If it means anything, in the earlier part of my running "career", I used to get lightheaded and dizzy if I squatted down and then stood up later in the day after running that morning. There were a couple of times in the store where I had to just stop and hope I didn't pass out. But as time passed, that issue passed also. I believe that in my case, it was a low blood pressure situation. Not sure that relates to your situation though.

The doctor thinks is a BP drop, but we've been unable to "catch" it - the table tilt test usually is where you will see the BP drop, but with that test my BP spiked.  From what I've read, it seems a drop in heart rate can happen along with a drop in BP, so maybe today's data will point us in the right direction.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, if it makes you feel better, Tom, I've had 4 knee surgeries and am still out here.   A lot slower than I used to be, but still out here!

I would give anything to enjoy running again.  Instead, I spend most of the run waiting on my back to start hurting, and once I feel the slightest hint of discomfort, spend the rest of it wondering if it is my last or not - sigh.  Mentally, this has been the worst injury I have had to overcome.   LRB, after my spinal arthritis first flared up in 2003, I could not run for several months and I was right where you are now when I finally did come back, and it took me quite a while to get over that.   Every little nag in my back was like an alarm for me!   But I finally realized that is just no way to live. There is NO cure for arthritis, this is something I will have for the rest of my life.  So I just had to "dig deep" in my mind and decide I was not going to let it get to me.  I was just going to get out there and do what I can with what I have, realizing I do have some limitations that I did not have before, that I would have to make some changes; but that's okay...I look at it this way:  I'm not a WORSE runner than I was before, I'm just a different TYPE of runner now than I was before.  And that's okay.  Half the battle is attitude.    Between my  "attitude change" and  and doing my  back exercises daily - I'm sure your PT probably gave you some right? - and getting a little bit of additional help from a pain management doctor - in my case, my arthritis is pretty severe, so twice a year I get injections, and this has also helped me - I am doing pretty well overall.  Sure, I still do get the occasional "bad" day, but it sure is a lot better than it was.  So now I'm out there, doing my thing and once again enjoying my running life.

You're still young and in pretty good shape, so you probably are not at that point where you need injections, and I hope you never will get to it.  But BE PREVENTIVE.  Stretching, strength training to keep all your supporting muscles strong - in my case, my PT has me do a full-body weight training circuit at least once a week, with very specific exercises and reps to do - and on your non-running days, WALK briskly for at least 20 minutes, which is what my PT also has me do, as walking really helps strengthen the lower back.  Also, as x-training, ride the stationary bike a couple times a week for  20 - 30 minutes, which is what my PT also has me doing.  The stationary bike lets you sit up STRAIGHT and pedal which, again, strengthens the lower back, unlike an actual bike these days, most of which have those 'curved" handlebars, which make you lean over and can strain your back.    So between doing what you need to do physically and finding that mental place you need to get to - easier said than done, but you will get there, LRB.  I only know you from the forums, but you strike me as not only a talented runner and all-around okay guy, but also a pretty determined person, not the type to give up.  I have no doubt you will "find yourself ", LRB and start enjoying your running again.

Sorry about the arm, jj, but glad you can at least do some running.  Welcome back!  Take care of that arm.

Congrats on the 20, Jack!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Scotty,

Out of curiosity, what exactly could you have had done 4 times (different or otherwise) to your knees?  How many on one or the other or both?? (I talked to a guy who had 3; 2 on one knee & 1 on the other) and called himself the "king" of knee problems.  Pffft.....what does he know? Wink

And I did get the lawn mowed & did my 4 sets of decline pushups & pullups so I got some good upper body pump going after that.  Better than nothin. (and the lawn looks good) Clown

Randy

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

10 felt too easy?  That actually must be a nice feeling for you, Ric!

Congrats on the great week for you, Scapp!

5:30 pace, dang, Baboon!  Every time I read your posts about your running and your paces, I get a mental image of you out there in your Flash suit.

Big grin

Crazy weather, Sparker!  We made it into the 80s today, for pete's sake!  I felt SO sorry for the folks doing the San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon and Half this morning, VERY humid and already near 70 at the 7 a.m. start time.

Got a second egg out of the chickens yesterday.  One more and it's omelet time.

Gee, outoftheblue, sounds like a chickensh*t breakfast.... Wink    jk, of course.  Enjoy that omelet when it's time!

Dank, Oski, that is scary!  You are going to have to have someone keep you company from now on when you go run, or get one of those 'life alert' thingys!  Glad you are okay.

Well, Zelanie, if you had accidentally bandited the run, you would have fit right in, you're young enough yet to pass for a sorority girl.  Congrats on your run.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt