Beginners and Beyond

Do I have to do everything around here? SunDAILIES (Read 51 times)

outoftheblue

I think it's official -- I have over-training syndrome.  I felt horrible at my race today.  Just leaden, achy legs and no mojo whatsoever.  Finished with 2:07:04, which is almost exactly 7 minutes slower than last year at this same race and 3 1/2 minute slower than the year before when I was lolly-gagging along with 20 to 25 mpw for training.   I knew I was in trouble on Tuesday, when I ran a couple of easy miles to check my heart rate.  Usually its in the low 140s for easy runs, but it was 165 (!).  I took the rest of the week off and hoped.    Alas, hope was not enough.  I need to take some time off running and figure things out.  Sorry for the negative post, but I'm pretty bummed right now.   I feel stupid for doing this race.  I should have continued to rest and slowly rebuilt.

LRB - I know you weren't totally happy with your race, but that looked like a hell of an overall workout.

Damaris -- Yes, 20 miles with 12 at MP is supposed to be hard. But you did it.  Now rest up!

Life is good.

DavePNW

So, hi. Sorry I suck at posting in the dailies when I am sucking at running. The knee has been giving me problems, and (for better or worse) it is not even the same issue that put me on the bench last fall. Last week I did a grand total of 2 miles. This week I have actually run a few times with my knee holding up OK. So maybe hopefully it is on the mend & ready to ramp back up, but you just never know about these things. Yesterday's 5 was my longest in 2 weeks; thinking about maybe going out for a few more this afternoon, which would make it 2 days in a row for the first time in 3 weeks.

Anyway, maybe this is the best time for a break since I am doing a ton of traveling, getting ready for moving, new job and whatnot. Would probably be tough to stick to a serious training schedule.

Dave

Zelanie

OOTB- I am sorry that you're dealing with this!  Sounds similar to how I was feeling last fall.  I took some time to just do easy running until I didn't feel like crap any more, and it seems to have helped.  Except that I never stopped feeling like crap running only easy miles- one day I just got tired of low mileage and said fuck it, I'll run more, and luckily I was also ready to handle the increase.  Hopefully you caught it sooner than I did and will be back to feeling like yourself in no time.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hey man, kill it with the spoilers yo. I am planning on seeing that.

Sorry

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Did you watch Spartacus?  He appears in Season 1.  I didn't recognize him because he is blond there.  I love him too. 

We have it on Amazon, I haven't had a chance to watch it because of Dorian... it's rather bloody and graphic but I am so glad I am not the only one!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think it's official -- I have over-training syndrome.  I felt horrible at my race today.  Just leaden, achy legs and no mojo whatsoever.  Finished with 2:07:04, which is almost exactly 7 minutes slower than last year at this same race and 3 1/2 minute slower than the year before when I was lolly-gagging along with 20 to 25 mpw for training.   I knew I was in trouble on Tuesday, when I ran a couple of easy miles to check my heart rate.  Usually its in the low 140s for easy runs, but it was 165 (!).  I took the rest of the week off and hoped.    Alas, hope was not enough.  I need to take some time off running and figure things out.  Sorry for the negative post, but I'm pretty bummed right now.   I feel stupid for doing this race.  I should have continued to rest and slowly rebuilt.

LRB - I know you weren't totally happy with your race, but that looked like a hell of an overall workout.

Damaris -- Yes, 20 miles with 12 at MP is supposed to be hard. But you did it.  Now rest up!

Maybe it was an off day?  Maybe it's just overreaching instead of overtraining (the precursor of it).  Have you checked your resting HR (rather than checking your HR during a run?  Maybe too much stress lately from work, etc?  Sorry it didn't go well and I hope whichever it is gets back on track soon.

Damaris

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

More oreos are setting up. The cherry cream and mint cream little bunnies are done. The homemade York peppermint patties (larger squares) are done.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice, Marjorie!

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

More oreos are setting up. The cherry cream and mint cream little bunnies are done. The homemade York peppermint patties (larger squares) are done.

Me wants

PRs

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Per my coach :  training through non goal races is part of the process.

you learn a lot about yourself.

good job!

Yeah, I ran 17 miles today. 13 of them in a race.

I know Dave felt some kind of way about missing this event but he lucked out. The wind coming off the river from mile 4 through 9 was not fun.

Despite that, I did not think I would have much today and I was right, it was ugly. Not sure what my official time is but Garmin has me at 1:31:40 in 13 miles exactly.

I decided last month to train through this race and I suppose it showed. Hopefully that decision pays off when the fun stuff starts, we will know soon enough.

outoftheblue

Maybe it was an off day?  Maybe it's just overreaching instead of overtraining (the precursor of it).  Have you checked your resting HR (rather than checking your HR during a run?  Maybe too much stress lately from work, etc?  Sorry it didn't go well and I hope whichever it is gets back on track soon.

Thanks D.  I wish I could just chalk it up to a bad day.  I tried to talk that up to myself on the ride home.  But, this has been building for a while.  I think I was overreaching in the sense that I now believe I overreached with my training last year, and then was so eager to build off that training in 2015 I didn't take enough down-time off.   I see the huge miles that you and others put in on this forum and I want so badly to be able to do that.  I just can't see to make it happen in a way my body likes.

I was trying to run by feel today, and was averaging around 9:20 through the first 6 or 7 miles, so I wasn't going crazy out there today with some PR plan.   Then the wheels just totally came off.  It was a sunny day, and humid (by California standards), so that didn't help, but judging how my legs feel right now, I don't think that was the whole problem.

Zel -- I though of you, as well, on the ride home and how you seemed off your game for months after your marathon. I'm glad that seems in the rear-view mirror for you now, and I will keep you in mind for inspiration as I work through this.

Life is good.

Cyberic

We have it on Amazon, I haven't had a chance to watch it because of Dorian... it's rather bloody and graphic but I am so glad I am not the only one!

I think you'll like it. Lots of half naked (and fully naked) men in there. And none look like me. They all have muscular, shaven, tanned and oiled bodies.

From the Internet.

Marjorie you're so fancy! Those look awesome!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think you'll like it. Lots of half naked (and fully naked) men in there. And none look like me. They all have muscular, shaven, tanned and oiled bodies.

Lol, I've seen many of those images online, yes the show is very graphic both in blood and sex lol. I like that Lucy Lawless is in there, I loved her as Xena.

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks D.  I wish I could just chalk it up to a bad day.  I tried to talk that up to myself on the ride home.  But, this has been building for a while.  I think I was overreaching in the sense that I now believe I overreached with my training last year, and then was so eager to build off that training in 2015 I didn't take enough down-time off.   I see the huge miles that you and others put in on this forum and I want so badly to be able to do that.  I just can't see to make it happen in a way my body likes.

I was trying to run by feel today, and was averaging around 9:20 through the first 6 or 7 miles, so I wasn't going crazy out there today with some PR plan.   Then the wheels just totally came off.  It was a sunny day, and humid (by California standards), so that didn't help, but judging how my legs feel right now, I don't think that was the whole problem.

Zel -- I though of you, as well, on the ride home and how you seemed off your game for months after your marathon. I'm glad that seems in the rear-view mirror for you now, and I will keep you in mind for inspiration as I work through this.

:-(  Sorry.  Hope you find the answer.

Damaris