Beginners and Beyond

Throwback ThursDAILIES (Read 46 times)

LRB

The O has spoken. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Did you just Damarize me?

I wanted to see if you were paying attention. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Anatomy for runners is a great book.

I get enough runner anatomy at my Bare Buns 5Ks...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

MothAudio

Michael Walsdorf's photo.

Here's my finisher's medal from the Columbus Marathon [1983]. No finisher medals in '81-82. While it's very different from all of my other momentos what I remember from that race wasn't this dinky hunk of medal but the feeling of flying toward my PB finishing time :>

And here's last year's medal. Bigger seems better.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Hip Redux

That's one teeny medal!   Some of the ones now could be used as a hammer in a pinch. lol

LRB

That's one teeny medal!  

+1

It manages to make the one in the original post look desirable.  lol

LRB

Here's my finisher's medal from the Columbus Marathon [1983]. No finisher medals in '81-82.

Given the timing of your medal in '83 and the one in the OP in '84, maybe there was a movement for some sort of recognition for those who completed the distance regardless of their placing?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Pilates done. What she asked me to with my arms while standing on my tippy toes atop a chair while making a bridge is impossible.  I should take a picture of me and put Nailed It on it.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh, car will take 5 days to be repaired.  I hope it's sooner because this muscle car they gave me it's getting all the looks.  If it was a red car, I would assure the police will stop me.  Sigh.

Damaris

LRB

Pilates done. What she asked me to with my arms while standing on my tippy toes atop a chair while making a bridge is impossible.  I should take a picture of me and put Nailed It on it.

Oh yeah?  Well I got  nailed during my session and not what you think!  I did a couple of moves and broke out into an all out sweat for the first time since I have been going.

She says it's time to step it up and take the training wheels off.  That shit was hard and I don't think pictures exist of what I was doing.  lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You had never sweated at all?  Shameful.  I have never NOT sweat during her workouts.  She is EVIL! 

Damaris

MothAudio

Given the timing of your medal in '83 and the one in the OP in '84, maybe there was a movement for some sort of recognition for those who completed the distance regardless of their placing?

There were no finisher medals the year before and hardware was something that was earned based on athletic performance vs simply showing up and completing the distance [a given]. I never won anything during the 4 year period I set all of my PB times. Not even close even though I consistently finished in the top 10%. Finisher medals became more common in the early 90's but nothing like you see today where now everyone expects one - "I want my medal!"

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Greetings, dailies!

Sorry I've been away for a bit. Took an out-of-town trip, then returned for 4 12-hour night shifts, and a boatload of chores.

As some are aware, I've been playing around with a torn meniscus on my right knee. I was initially planning on surgery for 6/27 but decided that we don't need to take that step yet. It really isn't all that bothersome unless I crank up the mileage. Granted, a certain move will give me some pain, but running doesn't include that "certain move". In fact, I've been carrying on with my running, albeit at a less frequent rate (approx. 10-12 miles/week) and I'm doing OK for now.

So today, the doc and I had a discussion and I left with a cortisone shot and instructions to see him in 4 weeks (presumably to see how the shot is helping or not helping, part pain control, part diagnosis). Anyway, there is no surgery on my calendar at this time, though I believe that it might happen in the future. At least after the running season ends anyway. Smile

Oh, almost forgot, 3.5 miles this morning, 9:55 pace, splits were within 2 seconds of one another!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

LRB

You had never sweated at all?  Shameful. 

My weak ass hips and ass could barely hold my body weight suspended in air doing the simplest of moves, let alone do any of the challenging things that I will eventually be doing.  Remember, I went there for explosive stuff but failed my assessment miserably proving that I needed to start from square one and properly build a foundation.

I say all of that and yet I am not a weak person in the general sense, in terms of being a strong runner though I was pathetically and woefully weak.  It has really been an eye opening experience thus far and may prove the impetus to take my running to the next level....and stay there!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My weak ass hips and ass could barely hold my body weight suspended in air doing the simplest of moves, let alone do any of the challenging things that I will eventually be doing.  Remember, I went there for explosive stuff but failed my assessment miserably proving that I needed to start from square one and properly build a foundation.

I say all of that and yet I am not a weak person in the general sense, in terms of being a strong runner though I was pathetically and woefully weak.  It has really been an eye opening experience thus far and may prove the impetus to take my running to the next level....and stay there!

I am the same, yet she still makes me do those fucking exercises!  You're not doing pilates, though, just those bands?  Maybe Pilates is harder?  Go get some, then.

I gotta say that ever since the surgery and Pilates I have had no need for a chiropractor adjustment (which I needed at least every other week).  So, my body has improved a lot and Pilates is just making it elongated.  Yesterday, someone told me I looked like I had lost 10lbs.  Hmmm, no, but yay?

Damaris