Beginners and Beyond

The 50 best half marathons (Read 139 times)

LRB

Each state is represented in the link found (here), so it can be debated if these are actually the top 50 half marathons, as opposed to just 50 half marathons.

Hip Redux

I've done the Rhode Island one (funny, never even heard of the CT one!).   The Newport half is an awesome half if you are looking for picturesque.  However, the rain, 30mph wind gusts and the constant hills were not exactly selling points.  lol  There were multiple times along the coast where the wind almost stopped any possibility for forward progress.

You've got to page through this 50 times? Fuck that, just show me the list.

Dave

LRB

You've got to page through this 50 times? Fuck that, just show me the list.

Yeah you know I would have copied and pasted but it's a slide show, which apparently online editors love for some stupid reason.

Love the Half

You can page through it quickly though.  Truthfully, in many states it looks like they copped out and just picked the biggest or most famous race.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Nevrgivup

You can page through it quickly though.  Truthfully, in many states it looks like they copped out and just picked the biggest or most famous race. 

I agree. I've never run the Boston half nor have I had a desire to. The Cape Cod half and the Hyannis half would have been better choices for MA,  IMO.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

By April I will have run 2/50 of these. Only 48 left?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

onemile

Yeah, it seems odd they'd choose the Brewer's Mini Marathon for Wisconsin. That race has only been around for 2 years and there are a lot of better established half marathons in the state that I think would have been a better choice. I have no desire to run this one.  Hilly and overpriced. I don't get it.

Truthfully, in many states it looks like they copped out and just picked the biggest or most famous race.

Absolutely for the one in Georgia.  The list organizers probably went alphabetical for races in Georgia. I volunteered at this one this past Thanksgiving and the only notable thing about it, it's run on Thanksgiving. There are other half marathons in Atlanta which are better such as the Publix HM.

The ATHHalf in Athens, GA is lots of fun as a runner and Robert can probably comment about the half in Savannah.

In addition, the Albany Half in South Georgia is known for a fast time while the Soldier Half in Columbus rings true for those with a military association. In NW Georgia, the Chicamauga HM is a good one too  based upon race reports of runners that I know through RA.

So the Atlanta HM on Thanksgiving Day would not crack the top 5 for Georgia for best HMs in the state.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

What's up with New Mexico? It looks llke the guy is running in leather flip flops and is moving along at a pretty good clip. The racers look faster in that pic compared to some of the other states.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

MothAudio

Parkersburg [wv] Half Marathon is the best.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

delicate flower

(funny, never even heard of the CT one!).  

Certainly an odd choice.  It's a big race (4000 or so) but it's not one I'm in a hurry to get to.  So many better options for CT (Iron Horse, Savin Rock, Gulf Beach, Hogsback, etc) so why a race through the chewed up streets of New Haven would get be listed as "best" is beyond me.

<3

happylily

We should start a thread where we do quick reviews of the marathons (and maybe HMs) we've done. Not like RRs, just short reviews with pros and cons. It would be interesting to see how many races across the country have been done and how people feel about the same races.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Parkersburg [wv] Half Marathon is the best.

My former home town!

Dave

We should start a thread where we do quick reviews of the marathons (and maybe HMs) we've done. Not like RRs, just short reviews with pros and cons. It would be interesting to see how many races across the country have been done and how people feel about the same races.

1. Don't you think the size of that list would get ridiculous pretty quickly?

2. I haven't raced much, but how I feel about a particular race is generally related to how well I did, rather than any objective criteria.

3. Why would you say "we should start a thread" instead of just starting a thread?

4. Will you forgive me for being such a cantankerous bastard, and just assume this friggin' winter is making me really crabby?

Dave