Beginners and Beyond

Shoes mileage (Read 104 times)

Bin Running

How often do you retire your shoes?

I have retired Nike eclipse+ @ 290 and Mizuno Inspire 7 @ 380. Now Asic DS trainer 16 is at 480M.

Reired the Nike when I feel some soreness on my inner calf and the heel is wear off at any angle.

Retired the Inspires when I took it oversea and feel that 100M more than Nike is good enough

Currently shoes in rotation. Elixir @ 199, new Inspire @ 104, Nirvana @ 373 and Kinvara2 @ 10M

Still felt the DS is going strong. Should I just retire it before it cause me problem?

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Love the Half

I run my normal easy runs in Asics Nimbus.  To make them last longer, I rotate between three pairs.  I am approaching 700 miles on each pair.  When I only had one pair, I'd have to get new ones after 400 miles.  I'm sure part of it is that I weigh less these days but I doubt that accounts for all of the additional wear I get since I started getting multiple pairs at once.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Every shoe wears differently and each person is a bit different (foot fall, weight, etc). Some shoes need retiring faster than others. Go by feel. I can tell when my shoes are about at the end of their life by how they feel on a run. Then, when  i add the miles, it is always similar.

I get between 640 to 680 on my Asics Blurrs.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Depends on the shoe.  If they still feel fine, they

can stay on rotation.

Damaris

delicate flower

My shoe of choice for all my runs is the New Balance 1400.  It's a light racing flat, but I wear them for everything because they are comfortable.  They tend to wear quickly, and part of that is probably because I'm about as graceful as a rhino when I run.  If I get 250 miles out of a pair, I'm lucky.  Fortunately they are not that expensive as shoes go ($90 full retail) and I have been picking them up for under $50.

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

With the Asics 21xx series I got about 1000 miles before I'd retire them, more from a conservative injury prevention approach than because they were causing problems. Since I've switch to the Saucony Pro Guide series, which is a lighter weight shoes, I got about 700 miles on the Guide 5 before retiring them and have 365 on my Guide 6s and expect about the same for them.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

These days I have two pair in rotation (one pair of Saucony, and one pair of New Balance), and they're pretty good up to 500 miles each.  Once they get to 500 miles I start paying extra attention for any unusual aches or pains, and rotate in the new pair as soon as I notice anything.  Or if the shoes just feel funny. So somewhere between 500 and 600 miles.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

Trail Monster

My highest pair has 376 on them right now. I haven't retired that pair but I do use them less often and not for longer runs anymore.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

cmb4314

I usually get ~500 miles out of a pair of Adrenalines.  I retire them for long runs a bit before that, then stretch out their life with short runs.  Eventually, I find myself a mile or two into an easy run and I suddenly become aware of the fact that my feet hurt.  And that is when I decide to completely retire the shoes Smile

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

RSX

300 is usually my max. I run in NB outlet shoes so don't feel bad about retiring them. I have probably bought 10 pairs of 580s which I stocked up on when I saw them on sale various times.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I normally aim for mid 600s on a shoe, although I have a pair of Mizunos at almost 700 miles, and going. I do have a more racing flat type of shoe (Brooks PureConnects) that has 157 miles and I don't really wear them outside of races. Honestly if I could pick up a different racing shoe I'd retire them because they're at end of life.

- Andrew

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Shoes can rebound when not used.

A couple years ago I thought I was having a bad run of shoes and they were feeling wiped out at just 200 miles per pair.  After experiencing this with 3 pairs in a row of Brooks I was almost ready to switch brands entirely but decided to give the first pair another try.

Ran in the first pair for a week and they felt great.  Ran each pair for a week after that and discovered they all felt awesome and kept running in them and rotating them out each week.  I wound up getting over 600 miles out of each of those 3 pairs of shoes.  Before when I was using just 1 pair at a time I could only get about 300 per pair of shoes.

Dig out an older pair from the shoe graveyard and give them a try for a week and decide from there.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I was wondering also, Bin about the effects of heel wear v.toe wear.   And check the insoles as they get pretty flattened out too.

adkkev

1 pair of Asics Cumulus, about 650 miles on them - they are now my "work around the yard" shoe.

1 pair of Asics Kayanos, maybe 150 miles and then I retired them - inside lining came separated from the shoe and I found them fairly uncomfortable to run any distance in.

2 pairs of Brooks Pure Flows, well over 700 miles from each pair.

1 pair of Altra Torins, about 350 miles & they are just about ready to retire.  I think.  They still feel fairly comfortable but the inside lining on the left shoe is starting to tear.  Why I don't know.

1 pair of Montrail Mountain Masochists II- about 300 miles & still going strong.  Heavy (compared to the other shoes I've had) but they are like running in a tank.  I have the "outdry" model.

I wear an uber-minimalist shoe.  I retire them when they wear holes in the sole, usually about 350 miles.

ETA:  Though I have taken to wearing them with socks for treadmill runs, to get more miles out of them.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau