Beginners and Beyond

Hungry Tuesday Penguins on "National I Love Food Day" (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

No Penguins thread yet?  Really?

This story just in.....

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

3.3 miles for me today.  Hill work around the university campus.  I got lapped a time or two by the Army and Air Force ROTC groups out doing their formation runs.   Nice run/walk though, felt really good the whole way.  Temp and dewpoint were cooperative....70 degrees at 6 a.m. dew-point under 70, nice!

September 9th, is "National I Love Food Day".     Eat your favorite food today, whatever it may be.

Quote from Docket_Rocket on 9/8/2014 at 2:39 PM:

I have been coughing all fucking day which is a sign of another asthma bout.  Fuck my life.

But at least my LRS called to tell me the shoe I have been waiting for arrived.  Just what I need, more shoes.

I hear ya, Damaris.  I have 6 pairs of ASICS Nimbus in rotation....and I just ordered another pair!   Gail said "REALLY?"  I said, 'Yeah, but these are blue and I don't have that color yet." 

Zelanie

Scotty, I think today is the day that you have to love a variety of foods, not just one thing!   Anyway, that probably explains what happened with the peanut butter this morning when I was making my sandwich. 

I have the second 3 x 2 mile workout after work.  Last time, it was fun, so I'm hoping that this one will be too.

tracilynn

Nice run Scotty!

I was thinking of Cherie and aren't there bad floods in the area she lives?? Hmmm maybe she will check in soon.

I'm taking a rest day today.

I'm supposed to do " 8X400 5k pace"  tomorrow.  So does that mean I run 400m at 5k pace and then jog for 200m and repeat 8 times?

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

Scotty - sounds like a good run, though I thought you didn't like to run early when the weather was cooler?

I think every day is "I love food" day. Unlike you, I eat just about everything.

Z - are you supposed to do the 2 miles at marathon pace or tempo pace?  Have fun.

Tracilynn - that sounds like a hard workout.  Good luck.

Today is supposed to be a rest day, but I only did four very slow miles yesterday on grassy roads, so I may run later.  I really want to run more often, but I'm not sure my body is up to it yet.  Building up base miles again when you aren't coming back from injury is different.  I don't think I need to do 10% (not that I was very good at that before) but I sure don't want to push it too much now and get injured.  It's too late to do any long races this fall, but I do have time to train for a spring marathon, if I can build up carefully. I know I should do more halfs first, to get the experience, but it is very tempting to try for Gettysburg next April.  Otherwise it means waiting another year since I don't do well with long runs in the summer heat. Fortunately, that is a small enough race I don't have to decide for a while.  I'll just see how my long runs go this fall/winter.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 9 miles with 2 X 2 miles at HMP.  Since there is drama at work, I am sure I'll be fired up for this.

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Traci: I think you should do a full 400 at a slow jog for a recovery.

A few more days of no running and I will be back at it. Unfortunately, it is still close to 100 degrees.

tracilynn

Traci: I think you should do a full 400 at a slow jog for a recovery.

A few more days of no running and I will be back at it. Unfortunately, it is still close to 100 degrees.

Okay. Thanks :-)

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Okay. Thanks :-)

That is four miles on the track and even more if you do your warm up and cool down there. Doing a 400 recovery will help you hit your paces but you should be TIRED at the end. Another way to do it is to recover the time it took you to run the 400 at 5k pace but it's a pain looking at your watch all the time. Just do a 400 at 5k pace and a 400 recovery. Have fun with it. lol

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Another RD for us, watching the plumbers put in a new water line. Can't run without water for a shower.  Beats working.  Hopefully they will finish today.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Another RD for us, watching the plumbers put in a new water line. Can't run without water for a shower.  Beats working.  Hopefully they will finish today.

You could always jump into Lake Michigan post-run. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty - sounds like a good run, though I thought you didn't like to run early when the weather was cooler?

I think every day is "I love food" day. Unlike you, I eat just about everything.

Z - are you supposed to do the 2 miles at marathon pace or tempo pace?  Have fun.

Tracilynn - that sounds like a hard workout.  Good luck.

Today is supposed to be a rest day, but I only did four very slow miles yesterday on grassy roads, so I may run later.  I really want to run more often, but I'm not sure my body is up to it yet.  Building up base miles again when you aren't coming back from injury is different.  I don't think I need to do 10% (not that I was very good at that before) but I sure don't want to push it too much now and get injured.  It's too late to do any long races this fall, but I do have time to train for a spring marathon, if I can build up carefully. I know I should do more halfs first, to get the experience, but it is very tempting to try for Gettysburg next April.  Otherwise it means waiting another year since I don't do well with long runs in the summer heat. Fortunately, that is a small enough race I don't have to decide for a while.  I'll just see how my long runs go this fall/winter.

Unfortunately, our 'cool front' decided to wait until Thursday to get here; so a morning run today as we still have a heat index this afternoon of 105, sheesh.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty, I think today is the day that you have to love a variety of foods, not just one thing!   Anyway, that probably explains what happened with the peanut butter this morning when I was making my sandwich. 

I have the second 3 x 2 mile workout after work.  Last time, it was fun, so I'm hoping that this one will be too.

But I don't want a variety of foods...I just want....ICE CREAM!  Lots of ice cream..this one looks like it's made for me.....

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Drama at work, Damaris?  At a lawyer's office?  That just about NEVER happens.  

Happy rest day, Traci!  Cherie has flooding in her area?  I thought she lived in a desert-kind of area.  Hope she is okay!

Good luck, Ginny, with building back up again!  I think Jen aka 'The Learned Foot' did Gettysburg a while back.  Do you actually get to run on the battlefield?