Beginners and Beyond

Rest in Peace Fallen Heros (Read 51 times)

Just B.S.

Many of you in the US may not be aware that last week, 1 hour from my home we lost 3 law enforcement

officers (and 2 wounded) after a clearly disturbed young man went on a rampage with weaponry and kept

an entire city of 70,000 on lock down for 24 hours.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-mounties-funeral-what-happened-here-is-an-outrage-stephen-harper-says-1.2670491

I found out today that one of these heroes was a fellow runner and the same day Happy Lily, Mr. B.S and

myself were running a 26.2 on Mother's Day, May 11th, Cst. Doug Larche was running a PB half marathon

at the same race.

Cst Larche also grew up in my hometown and from the stats I can see has been participating in races for over

a decade and ran some of the other races on the same day as DH and I.

(this is from the marathons FB page)

Just found out that Douglas Larche, one of the three slain RCMP officers ran in the Half Marathon

on May 11th. He placed 68th/653 with a PB of 1:41:40. An amazing feat of this man who sacrificed his

life for the safety of others. Let us be silent at 1PM to honor Douglas Larche, Dave Ross and

Fabrice Gevaudan.

Their funerals were today. Rest is peace fallen heros and fellow runner.  Today the race organizers
    changed their FB main page photo with the one below from the race  to honor Cst. Larche. He is bib # 769

happylily

Oh, Beth... This makes me very sad... 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Very sad.

Damaris

Just B.S.

Oh, Beth... This makes me very sad... 

Me too. Lots of crying in New Brunswick today. The funerals were televised.
          One officer has 3 small children. Another a 1 1/2 yr old baby and another on the way.

One was a canine officer. His partner was at the funerals today. You could hear him audibly "crying/whining"

all through the ceremony.

Police dog Danny

happylily

Three officers down is a huge loss for any community. But it's especially hard when it's a small community. And NB doesn't have a big population, everyone knows everyone in some way, so it's like some of your friends died that day... I read the link you posted, Beth, and it was very moving. The dog sniffing his fallen partner's hat... :-(

I stopped following the story after they caught the killer. What were his intentions? Was he after RCMP officers? I heard he was some anti-everything nutcase...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Tragic indeed, and it doesn't stop there.  Two officers were shot and killed in Vegas and there was yet another school shooting resulting in loss of life in Oregon.

There is a total disregard for life by some people, you cannot keep up with all of this crap anymore.

on my way to badass

Damn.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Just B.S.

Tragic indeed, and it doesn't stop there.  Two officers were shot and killed in Vegas and there was yet another school shooting resulting in loss of life in Oregon.

There is a total disregard for life by some people, you cannot keep up with all of this crap anymore.

No it doesn't stop there unfortunately. But as Lily said for a relatively small province and

population (750,000 likely smaller than many cities you all live in) such as ours this is unthinkable

and reaches almost everyone in a personal way. Sad   I guess this has little interest outside Canada

but for us its a horrible tragedy.

One of the officers extended family lives in my community and somehow knowing Cst Larche  was a fellow

marathoner tugs at my heart even more.

B-Plus

I have no words. RIP.

No it doesn't stop there unfortunately. But as Lily said for a relatively small province and

population (750,000 likely smaller than many cities you all live in) such as ours this is unthinkable

and reaches almost everyone in a personal way. Sad   I guess this has little interest outside Canada

but for us its a horrible tragedy.

One of the officers extended family lives in my community and somehow knowing Cst Larche  was a fellow

marathoner tugs at my heart even more.

These tragedies extend further than you realize. We lost two Alaska State Troopers about a month earlier. Our state is similar in size population-wise (730,000+) (about 40% live in Anchorage), but the village where they were killed has under 300 people. It's hundreds of miles from where I live, but when something like this happens, it affects everyone.

We are all sorry to hear about NB's loss. You are not alone.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      RSX

That is sad Beth. Thanks for posting.

Mmmmm...beer

So sad. RIP. 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

So tragic.  And, Beth, it does not have 'little interest' outside of Canada, believe me.  It was on the US news quite a bit for a few days.  A tragedy like this touches all of us in certain ways.  Personally, I mourn any uniformed officer - whether it be military, police, firefighter EMT, etc - who is killed in the line of duty, these folks give of themselves to serve us and we should mourn their passing, wherever it happens, especially as it most likely happened because they were trying to protect and/or save some of us.   My heart goes out to all the family members who have to deal with this.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt