Beginners and Beyond

doing a du? (Read 112 times)

Let's say that there's a duathlon on 6/16, 2mi run, 20K bike, 5K run.

I currently do not even own a bike.  If I were to pick up a 2nd hand road bike this week, how badly would I get smoked?  Wink  (Yes, there's one way to find out, I know... just anxiety about even trying it).

Last year's results

delicate flower

You'll be fine on the bike, and given how fast you run, I'd be surprised if you finished outside the top 20.

It's a 12 mile bike ride.  We're not talking Tour de France distances here.  Big grin

<3

Hip Redux

I have a expensive custom bike, and I got beat by people on beach cruisers.   So, you know, you really can't do worse than that!  lol

delicate flower

Hey Jay, based on your Boston Marathon pace, if you just skipped the bike and ran the full 17 miles, you'd have beat four people last year.  Smile

<3

That would be worth attempting, lol.

Hey Jay, based on your Boston Marathon pace, if you just skipped the bike and ran the full 17 miles, you'd have beat four people last year.  Smile

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I have a expensive custom bike, and I got beat by people on beach cruisers.   So, you know, you really can't do worse than that!  lol

On the other hand my run sucked but as oski reminded me, you can make up more time on the bike than you can lose on the run.

I would think the opposite wild be true too  ;-)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Looking at the rankings for each segment....there are definitely some people who were weak on the bike but still did fine.

**Ask me about streaking**

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

We have a sprint tri in my area that I considered doing.  I can swim, I can bike, and I can run but I never tried combining them so I have this fear about majorly sucking.  I was told that if you are a decent runner then you have a strong chance of making up a lot of ground in the run.  So who knows about the du, you will likely place yourself in good shape at the start and then in the last 5K pull it out and gain a lot of ground.

Luke79

I will say that running, and running after getting off a hard bike ride, are completely different.  You're fast, but I don't know how you would be affected by the 20k bike if you don't normally ride.  That being said, it would surely be fun Smile

Luke

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I like that the results show pace/mile for the first run and pace/km in the second run.

I think you'll handle yourself fine... although that post-ride run can be rough!

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Just B.S.

You will have a blast Jay. Hubby and I have done about 10 du's since 2008. We are transitioning more to

tri's this year because we had time this winter to work  a lot on our swimming.

Just remember to have everything ready at transition (facing the right direction etc).

You are a great runner and I think you will do a lot better than you are expecting.

Just know that the "rubber legs" and "running thru sand" feeling you get after the bike portion is

totally normal and wont last more than 5 minutes!LOL

sirdizzy

Since its a shorter bike 12.4 miles you should be fine, when you get into the longer events (Olympics and HiM) its the people with the best times on the bike who normally win as that ends up being the majority of the race time (granted those guys are awesome runners too but the guy with the best run time didn't win the HiM in May that I did it was the guy with the best bike time who did granted he still ran a 1:15 half marathon).