Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins Taste And See The Goodness Of The ...... (Read 28 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Ah yes, taste and see the goodness of the foods you hated as a kid but love now. Things like asparagus and brussel sprouts were not my favorites , but I love them now. Even more recently I changed my view on olives. I used to pick them out of salads etc, now ask for them all the time and I have 3 kinds in my fridge right now!

Ran 4 miles last night after physical therapy. Looking to do about 5 after work.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Gustav, thanks for starting. I'm a pretty picky eater that I don't take any "green" vegetable. I don't like any entails too. Recent year, I tried to take in more green and maybe some liver. Not that I started likening them but because I know they are good for me.

Finally, an overcast day. Managed to put in my 4x1200 @ 8:00. Total of 8M. Having a low grade fever now of 37.3 deg C. Looking at the sky, it might rain later.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Gustav, onions!

Bin, I can't stand liver.

Took a RD yesterday and plan to do some hill this evening when I get off work.

Bin Running

Mitch, I do like foie gras though.

37.7 or 99.86F now. Decided to pop in a panadol.  Hope it helps.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  At work for an hour but I feel like I'm sleep working, LOL.  SRD tonight.

Gustav, Bin, Mitch, all, hellO!

Damaris

Philliefan33

Good morning.

Gus -- The only thing I can think of that I didn't eat as a kid that I really enjoy now is peppers and tomatoes.And some things went the other way; as a kid I loved to eat chicken skin (especially if it was crispy) but now I think it is gross.

bin -- don't push too hard if you have a fever.  That's your body trying to fight something.

Mitch -- have a good hill workout

DR -- a rare SRD!

AFM -- I used my stopwatch for intervals last night, and was glad to see that I hit my target times (according to MacMillman).  I only did short intervals and not many, but it's a start.  I'll build up gradually.  My calf is a little tight this morning but it's been cranky lately so I won't blame the speed work.  5 easy miles planned for tonight.

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Broccoli, you couldn't pay me to eat it as a kid, or as an adult.  But since getting healthy last year, I promised myself that I will eat any vegetable put in front of me, and as it turns out, I freaking love broccoli!  It's crazy.  I'm also becoming a big fan of squash and asparagus.  Prior to this, the only vegetables that I ate were green beans and corn, that's it.

I think today is going to be a rest day, something weird going on with my left hip.  It was sore the other day, thought maybe I had just tweaked something, but it's remained constant, walking or running.  Gets only slightly worse when running, but still tolerable, I had no problems with 8 miles @ 7:50/mile yesterday.  But I don't want to keep running on it and have it get worse.  I did some rolling last night and this morning, ITB is definitely tight/sore, so that might be it.  A little rest and some rolling/stretching and we'll see how it feels.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Good morning friends-

There are not many foods that I dont like. Cauliflower is one of them and cheap store bought tortillas would make me sick. I have never tried a brussel sprout or liver though. Probably never will.

Gustav- olives are something that I couldnt stand as a kid, but are good now. I couldnt stand beer as a kid either though....I was so confused Smile

Bin - hope that fever breaks. Good job on the intervals.

Hog- Onions are good, I always liked them. My wife cant stand them unless they are cooked as in onion rings or sauteed with fajitas.

Damaris- Find a good hiding spot and take a nap. I hear its a good thing. Not that I would ever actually do it Wink

Phillie- good job on the intervals- Those suckers are not fun while doing them, but feel good later after you are done.

Dave- Broccoli and squash are good things. I could eat my weight in broccoli I bet. I dont even need cheese on it anymore Smile

AFM- DW has been doing good on getting in her runs and she was a lil upset the other day because of my weight loss and she feels like she cant do it alone. We are going to try to clean up or diets some and hopefully lose some weight. I figure if my running suffers some and it makes her happy, it will be worth it. My eating has been bad as I tell myself that I am burning lots of calories.

I ran 6 miles this am in some nasty fog/mist crap. I was freaking soaked to the bone by mile 2. Hot and humid are not fun ways to start the day.

Make today great.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Dad on the run.

Hello everyone! Did some speed work with my buddy lastnight. Nothing major since it was for him and not me so we did 1mile warm up then did .20 @ 8:30ish - .30 rest x4 times. for a total of 3 miles. I skipped the minimus shoes and wore my Brooks Pure Flow. My feet didn't give me any troubles.

Plan on 5 tonight.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  We got W4D2 done last night, very slowly.  Just one of those days, I guess.  SRD today, but I brought my gear in just in case a swim presents itself.

Gustav -- I had no idea I liked spinach until I went to college.  My mother hates it, so she never fixed it.  There's not much I used to hate that I like now, though.  I still hate both bananas and mayonnaise.  

Bin -- DH doesn't like many green veggies.  He can handle salad, also green beans.  But almost everything else "tastes too green".

hog -- good luck with the hills!!

Docket -- maybe you can definitely not sneak in a 15 minute desk nap?

Phillie -- nice intervals, and have a good 5 tonight!!

D2 -- hope your hip feels better!!

T-rod -- I am a firm believer that weight has nothing to do with health.  The science says that healthy habits lead to healthy bodies, even if they don't lead to weight loss.  Congrats to DW on her running!!

jblack -- woo-hoo for speedwork with your friend!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Philliefan33

Something weird happened with me and broccoli.  I used to like it steamed or raw.  But lately I don't like it much.  I will occasionally eat some raw (with dip) but it's not one of my "go to" veggies anymore.  There are veggies I won't eat, i.e. anything in the cabbage family.  I also don't like cooked peas.  Raw peas are good, but not cooked peas.

Hope's Mom -- you are the first person I have heard of that doesn't like bananas.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

This restaurant on the San Antonio Riverwalk has gone to the dogs!

San Antonio-based Paesanos Restaurant Group will celebrate the grand opening of its latest concept, Charlie Wants a Burger, on May 25. Located at 223 Losoya Street along the River Walk, Charlie Wants a Burger will feature a dog-friendly riverside patio. The venue is named for a Jack Russell Terrier named Charlie, which PRG officials say is a “personality-packed” pup known for his “mealtime antics.”  But Charlie wants more than a burger. He wants to lend a hand — or rather, a paw — to his fellow pups.  The restaurant will also include a gift shop, Charlie’s Market, which will sell items tailored to customers of the two- and four-legged variety. Ten percent of all merchandise sales from Charlie’s Market will benefit the San Antonio Humane Society. Charlie Wants a Burger will have a special to-go menu for dogs — including the Charlie’s Burgers peanut-butter biscuit and Whatta Good Boy Biscuits in a variety of flavors.  Oh, and the restaurant will sell people food too — including 10 different types of burgers, hot dogs, and a line-up of decadent drinks, like the Eight-gauge Shotgun milkshake made with Jack Daniels whiskey. http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/blog/2013/05/charlie-wants-a-burger-to-open-may-25.html

I may have to visit this place!

Non-running day for me today.  I may go to the gym after work and so some type of aerobic activity, like the stairmaster, or rowing machine or stationary bike.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

I wish I did like them, but alas.  I can sometimes tolerate banana bread, although baking it myself is difficult, because it smells bad.  But anything else banana is just eeew.  DH eats them regularly.  I refuse to let him kiss me afterwards.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Amazonian Princess

Good morning,

I only started posting this week but I'm thinking the daily Penguin thread will be a great place to keep me on track (ha!)

A little less than 2.5 miles last night because I tried a Zombies,Run! workout that pushes you to go faster with zombie growls and hisses - much different than slow and steady I've been doing and so much fun! Tonight I have the walking group after work and I'll see about transitioning into the running group. I like the idea but I'm slow and I'd hate to hold anyone back.

And I hated zucchini as a kid because Mom always stewed it with tomato and overcooked it. Now that I've had it grilled, I like it!

I can. I will. I am.