Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Independence Weekend Daily (Read 22 times)

Zelanie

Thank you guys for supporting La Sele! Smile  Here we go again!

12ish done this morning, because I had the time.  I felt great until I had to make a pit stop about 4 miles in, then had a hard time getting my mojo back.  But it did come back after about 1/2 hour more, so that's probably a good sign.  Anyway, miles are done, red, white, and blue on, Vamos, Ticos!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jack, I never heard of Longboards and I couldn't find it on Beer Advocate.

Try Kona Brewing Co. Longboard is their lager. I guess I said it incorrectly in the other post.

hog4life

12.5 mile run done at 5:30 this morning. Son, DIL,  and wife were waiting on me to go bike riding. They had almost everything already loaded. We drove 2 hours to a path called Chief Ladiga Trail; it's an old abandoned railroad paved for riding and is part of a bigger trail called the Silver Comet. Both trails combine for 95 miles and goes from Atlanta Georgia to Anniston Alabama. We are doing the Bama portion which is 32 miles to the state line, then 32 miles back for 64 mile round trip.

hey everyone.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Try Kona Brewing Co. Longboard is their lager. I guess I said it incorrectly in the other post.

okay, I'll try our Costco.  We are pretty much  out of beer after yesterday.

Amazonian Princess

Happy Weekend, Penguins!

Hi, Jerry, sorry about the sore knees, but eleven on a busy bike path sounds like you did great! I do a run:walk on a busy path, too, and last week during a walk segment I stretched my arms and nearly clotheslined a biker that didn't announce himself - and I had moved to the far right edge of the path!

Docket - hope you enjoyed your run with Mr Docket!

PAD - if I haven't said it before, thank you for starting the threads so frequently. And thanks to Jerry, and Obie, too 

Jack - so, is it hot? 

Lauren - congrats on the new house! Woo-hoo!!! Nice mileage week, too!

Hi, Bin!

Zelanie, I'm so glad you're able to stay in touch while you're in Costa Rica! Can I ask if your TMI tummy troubles are better? Would you mind re-posting the link to your blog? I forgot to bookmark it. Any chance you might teach us homebodies some Spanish running phrases, should we ever need them? 

h4l - hope you had a great ride, wow @ 64 miles!

We had a pretty quiet 4th; MIL is visiting, but we're always the last to know family plans so we were trying to leave the day open, but I really wanted to get in a run so around noon I went for a loop around the neighborhood. However, my brain ship was flying without a pilot because when I realized how hot it was I figured I'd just push myself to go faster and be home before I needed water. Seriously, it sounded like a good idea at the time but left me lethargic and kinda headachy the rest of the day. Today, the 5th, we went to the Bacon Festival and it was yum! Honey-sriracha wings rolled in bacon and bacon pupusas were fantastic! Bacon shave ice, not so much 

I can. I will. I am. 

Zelanie

Bacon, sounds like your kind of festival!  Glad you made it back safely from your dehydration run.

Whatever I am eating here has pretty much fixed all of my tummy troubles.  I went from having to make 4+ pit stops per run, every single run. plus stomach cramps, etc, to very rarely having to stop at all.  Even better, the rest of the day I just feel much better overall and not like my intestines are trying to escape from my body.

I'm also breaking all of my food rules that I had for myself in Oregon.  I am doing a homestay with meals provided, so there was no way I was going to show up and say, "um, sorry, but I can't have meat, wheat, dairy, beans, or anything from this specific list of fruits and vegetables."  I did hold firm on the vegetarianism, but otherwise, I've just eaten whatever is available, and I feel great.

Which means my issue was most likely NOT: wheat, dairy, or onions, and likely not beans, either (although I do try to eat them in a smaller proportion than the rice, just in case.  Although with the dairy, I'm sure what I'm having here is locally produced and processed, so that could be the difference there

So I'm trying to figure out what I'm not eating here that I do eat in Oregon, and there are two possibilities.  The biggie is soy.  I don't know that I've had any soy at all since I've been here.  The other possibility is fructose (when it's out of proportion to sucrose, like in high-fructose corn syrup and some fruits).  I'm pretty sure I haven't had any HFCS, and even though I'm not restricting my fruits, I haven't had apples, which are bad for fructose, and I'm probably eating less fruit overall (and so less fructose).

The other possibility is just that I'm eating healthier overall.  There just aren't a lot of snacks or snacking around the house, and what there is isn't mine, so I'm eating at mealtimes, but not in between.  In Oregon, I snacked a lot, and when I felt that I had had too much, then I would keep snacking, but on veggies.  So, overall, I was eating more food.  Just because I was running enough miles to handle the calories doesn't mean that it was a healthy way to eat- much better to eat more real food and still avoid the junk.  And that's something that I've been able to do much better here than I could there.

So at least now I know that it's possible to eat in a way that makes me feel healthy.  That's a big piece of the puzzle right there- it's hard to want to work on something if you're not sure it will work anyway.

That said, I think I ate my weight in platanos maduros con queso tonight.  Yum!

Hmm, running phrases? Wait until I go to the HM expo and get to talk running with more people.  Right now, the most useful bit of knowledge about running is just being able to go from miles to kilometers, and back, in both distance and pace.  For example, when I had to stop my run on the "miles" TM today, I had 6.9 miles left to run at a 9:40 pace.  But when I came back, that TM was full, so instead I had to go run 11K at 10 km/h.  Which the calculator here tells me was a tad short, but it worked well enough at the time.   Or when planning a run with a housemate for tomorrow, I know that I need to run 5.6 miles tomorrow, but she was going to understand kilometers better.  So better so say I need to run about 9K, which will make sense, than 5.6 MILES, which might sounds like not that much to somebody who isn't used to running or thinking in miles.  So she can plan to run with me for the amount of kilometers she is comfortable with, and we will probably both be happier as a result.

Here is a link to my blog.

PADRunner

Morning all.

Z - Sounds like your enjoying your trip and learning from it as well.

6 done, PF is back.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I ended up running solo last night because hubby's shins were sore, so I did 6.25 miles.  Tonight it's my LR.

Z, you might not even be eating vegetarian.  Are you eating beans there?  They probably have meat (unless you asked).  Nothing in our cuisine is fully vegetarian, not even white rice.  But I am sure the part about eating healthier by eating less processed foods has helped while in Costa Rica.

Damaris

Zelanie

Morning!  I ended up running solo last night because hubby's shins were sore, so I did 6.25 miles.  Tonight it's my LR.

Z, you might not even be eating vegetarian.  Are you eating beans there?  They probably have meat (unless you asked).  Nothing in our cuisine is fully vegetarian, not even white rice.  But I am sure the part about eating healthier by eating less processed foods has helped while in Costa Rica.

D- Maybe, although I watch her make the beans and I haven't seen any lard or meat bones go in that I can tell.   I have talked to the family about being vegetarian and they are good at asking questions.  Like, "You're vegetarian, so you can't eat chocolate, right?"  I also have to keep politely turning down the chicharrones.  But yes, there is the possibility that there's meat in my food that I don't know about.  But I do my best.

5.4 on tap for me today.  My host sister talked about running with me, so I'm hanging out a bit to see if she's still interested.  I'll give it 50/50 odds.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens:

Zel: I've been enjoying your blog and pics on FB. Too bad the Ticos lost. That is a tough way to go out. When they went to PKs I really thought they had a chance. I bet the team will get a hero's welcome home.

PAD: Try rolling it with a golf ball or frozen bottle of water.

D: Perhaps you should give DH a massage? Wink

As for me, I beat the heat and managed 12 miles this morning. I left the house at 4:45 and it was nice. The sun came up around mile 6 or 7 and it was like turning on the oven. Bleh...  I have a tough day ahead of me. I'm going to get cleaned up, go to my hole in the wall breakfast place for a pastrami and egg burrito, sit in my chair and read the paper. If I have time I may even get a nap in there somewhere. It's going to be a long day.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Bacon, that is too funny almost clothlining the biker.  Very few shout out to us and the ones that do, wait until the last second.  DW tries to duck behind me when she does hear the bikes coming.  Or I'll drop off on to the gravel path if there is one.  We do wave when they do shout out.

Zel, how do your students deal with the food.  Kids are such picky eaters. Hope the run goes okay with your "sister".

Sorry about the PF, PAD.  Take care.

D, Have a nice LR.  Hope hubby's shins get better soon.

RD for us.  Probably tomorrow as well.   Knees are better today, still icing.  Really feels good getting a LR done even when sore. Thinking of going to the new PT at my health club for advice on the PFPS.  We will take a walk later when we are not being "deck" potatoes.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Enjoy the long, hard day, Jack.  Any Kona left?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Enjoy the long, hard day, Jack.  Any Kona left?

Oh yes. That is one good thing about the heat; beer tastes better.

PADRunner

PAD: Try rolling it with a golf ball or frozen bottle of water.

I've got a lacrosse ball under my desk that I keep rolling on.

Zelanie

Ran 5.8 by myself.  I ended up telling my host sister that I'm always happy to run a few extra K, so even if I go out before her in the mornings, I'd be happy to go back out if she wants.  Since she's a beginning runner, that should work out just fine but I can make sure I get my miles in.

The gym was still closed, so I ran over to the park, did my miles, and then drank a pipa (coconut with a straw) before heading home.

PAD- Oh no!  I'm sorry to hear about the PF!  Mine seems to be doing much better these days, I'm not sure whether it was time, higher drop shoes, or the fancy sock that made the difference.  Hope you figure out what works for you!

D- Good luck on the LR!

Jack- Sounds rough.  Maybe it's time to go back to Target for a nap.  I thought we had a good chance when it went to penalties, because our goalie is very good, but oh well.  What people are saying down here is that the team didn't get beaten in regular time, that they played well and can be proud of their accomplishments.  Much better than if they would have let 2 goals in during the first half or something.

Jerry- If there is a PT you can consult with the the gym, that sounds like a great idea!  Glad you got your LR in!  Most of the kids are doing great with the food.  They like it that all the kids are crazy about going out to "Pops" for ice cream all the time. Smile  We have one picky eater so far, but out of 25, that's not too bad.