Beginners and Beyond

Freezing TuesDAILIES (Read 47 times)

Cyberic

5 x (2.5min w/2.5min) for a total of less than the predicted 5 miles.

DavePNW

Good morning.

Soooooo....

I bombed out of a marathon 4 weeks ago - which was 100% Mother Nature's fault.  It was simply too hot - resulting in my worst marathon ever, and the first time in my life I have walked during a race.  It was bad.

So bad that I've been pouting since then, not really doing any running.  Like, less than 20 km a week.

But this Sunday is the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, and I'm seriously contemplating signing up and just doing it.

The thing is, I had my best ever preparation for the marathon last month - I really hit the pavement all summer.  Lots and lots and lots of miles.

I'm about 5 lbs. heavier than a month ago, but feel like I've kept most of my fitness.  And I was probably a little over-trained for the one a month ago, so it's really tempting.

Anyhoo, will make the decision in the next day or so.

No running today - but I have a hockey game tonight, which is like a sprint workout.

I wouldn't do it. You had a shitty race, which got you all pouty & de-motivated, so what's going to make you feel better is having another shitty race? Well maybe it won't be that bad, but after 4 weeks at very low mileage it's not going to be your best. Any reason you didn't target Toronto to begin with? You know mid-Oct is likely to be better weather than mid-Sept. Anyway, too late for hindsight. I would either (1) get the mileage back up and find a race this winter in a warm-weather state; (2) pick a spring race and reload. They're not all going to be winners, best laid plans and all; we've all got stories.

Maybe just do the Toronto half if you want to get yourself out there? Probably a better chance of running a good half right now, and maybe that will help get your mojo back.

My 2 cents.

Dave

DavePNW

Ditto. Only mine occurred at Boston. It was the worst run of my running life, which is saying a lot because I had some real doozies in 2012 training for my first and second.

Anyway, no advice since I am absolutely awful at the distance. I would just say that should you do it, remember when things get tough, you wanted to be there. It doesn't sound like much but that mindset actually helped pull me through many a dark places late in races of all distances over the years.

Propelling yourself forward via kicking yourself in the ass? Heh.

Dave

onemile

I had my alarm set for 5:20am and woke up at 3am and turned it off. The dogs slept until 6:15 so I did too. I might be done being a morning runner. It was a lot easier to get up early when it was light out and the dogs woke me up at 5am.

DavePNW

I had my alarm set for 5:20am and woke up at 3am and turned it off. The dogs slept until 6:15 so I did too. I might be done being a morning runner. It was a lot easier to get up early when it was light out and the dogs woke me up at 5am.

I had some hardcore insomnia last night, couldn't get to sleep till about 3:00, and slept in till 6:00. Getting up at 6:00 vs the usual 5:00 (or earlier) turns a 30 minute commute into an hour. I'm definitely staying a morning runner.

Dave

onemile

I had some hardcore insomnia last night, couldn't get to sleep till about 3:00, and slept in till 6:00. Getting up at 6:00 vs the usual 5:00 (or earlier) turns a 30 minute commute into an hour. I'm definitely staying a morning runner.

Good point. My commute was awful this morning

LRB

Yeah it's tough October through March. I am not particularly looking forward to it but that I'm even running at all is something in and of itself, so I am using that as motivation to get up and take on the darkness.

LRB

Propelling yourself forward via kicking yourself in the ass? Heh.

lol

Well, when there's nothing else...

RunningOnSand

Yeah, I love the early morning runs in the summer, and in the fall when DST happens. Only a couple more weeks! Running in the darkness puts a serious damper on my ability to spring out of bed willingly. Is Poppy on these boards? He was the King of early early early morning headlamp running.

It turns out that sick mom results in sick children. Which results in treadmill running.  It's better than no running. 4.3 miles done while watching Breaking Bad. Still have the sniffles but the fever is gone. I also got my Adidas Boosts (knucks to you, OFR!) and wore them around the house - they feel great! Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Tomorrow's some cruise intervals but maybe i'll take them for a spin on Friday.

RunningWithMyDog

I wouldn't do it. You had a shitty race, which got you all pouty & de-motivated, so what's going to make you feel better is having another shitty race? Well maybe it won't be that bad, but after 4 weeks at very low mileage it's not going to be your best. Any reason you didn't target Toronto to begin with? You know mid-Oct is likely to be better weather than mid-Sept. Anyway, too late for hindsight. I would either (1) get the mileage back up and find a race this winter in a warm-weather state; (2) pick a spring race and reload. They're not all going to be winners, best laid plans and all; we've all got stories.

Maybe just do the Toronto half if you want to get yourself out there? Probably a better chance of running a good half right now, and maybe that will help get your mojo back.

My 2 cents.

It was two things.  Most importantly, it lined up perfectly with my work schedule.  Summer was very slow (August was dead), so I trained like crazy and put up PRs in weekly distances.  It was a fantastic training period.  Immediately after the race, my work got busy - so while some of my lack of running has been pouting-related, a lot of it has simply been I haven't had the time.

And the other reason for running a September race was that it fell on the magical double-dip weekend for Boston.  So if I had hit my A goal, I would have locked up Boston entries for 2018 and 2019.

While I appreciate your advice on doing a half, I think that would probably leave me a little less satisfied. My goal would probably be to try to time qualify for next New York (1:28), and I know I'm not capable of that right now (probably never!). So I'd probably just pout further.

'm already comfortable with the fact that I've lost fitness the past four weeks.  This would be more of a redemption run - I won't be upset if I don't BQ - just want to wipe the bad September taste out of my mouth.

I'm still on the fence.  Stay tuned.

onemile

Yeah it's tough October through March. I am not particularly looking forward to it but that I'm even running at all is something in and of itself, so I am using that as motivation to get up and take on the darkness.

I've felt this way before. Unfortunately the feeling wears off after some time.

I am at the point where I am just done and over it and ready for a break because I have been training hard since July so that is factoring in

LRB

I've felt this way before. Unfortunately the feeling wears off after some time.

I am at the point where I am just done and over it and ready for a break because I have been training hard since July so that is factoring in

Absolutely. I would be as well and I have been every fall that I have run a marathon.

I think I'm good for about the first 6 to 8 weeks of MRT then I gradually die. lol

Cyberic

I think I'm good for about the first 6 to 8 weeks of MRT then I gradually die. lol

That's what 10 weeks plans are for: taper starts when you start dying, so it's all good!

GEHamlin

Zzy: hope you’re feeling better soon!

ROS: I see Poppy on the FB group. Not sure if he’s on here regularly. Hope the kiddos feel better soon!

Just 3.5 easy miles on the TM, a few minutes on the stair climber and I’m about now ready to hop in the pool for 30 min.

Got my NYC wave assignment. Yup, it’s late, but I’ll be in the upper deck of the Verrazano, so I’m psyched. 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Got my NYC wave assignment. Yup, it’s late, but I’ll be in the upper deck of the Verrazano, so I’m psyched. 

Awesome... you don't need to wear rain gear!!!  Are you in Blue or Orange?

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours