Beginners and Beyond

NYC Marathon Runners (Read 92 times)

LRB

Oddly my ugly ass mug is fine in single digit temps, my ears and hands however catch frozen hell.

RSX

Tassles?  They are pompons! My God... don't you people ever go to any fashion shows?

And now I have that song stuck in my head. Thanks...

Oh pompons are much cooler than tassles. Actually I think you made it sound worse from a guy perspective.

I wore t-necks for temps like teens and below so I am curious what the neck warmer will be like. At worst case I wear it shoveling but I like to have options.

Cyberic

I wear my normal summer breathable running shoes all winter long.

The first thing I put on after long sleeves is a buff over my neck. Before the gloves. Before the jacket. Before the tuque. Before the pants. In the winter I change the Buff for a Merinos wool neck thing (like a Buff, but very thick and warm). I can't stand being cold in the neck. Maybe it's because it's 27 inches long.

LRB

lol

happylily

I wear my normal summer breathable running shoes all winter long.

The first thing I put on after long sleeves is a buff over my neck. Before the gloves. Before the jacket. Before the tuque. Before the pants. In the winter I change the Buff for a Merinos wool neck thing (like a Buff, but very thick and warm). I can't stand being cold in the neck. Maybe it's because it's 27 inches long.

You said 27 inches long... cough, cough...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

It's not going to be nowhere near cold enough in NYC for a neck warmer.  I only bust it out when it's well below freezing.

Cyberic

You said 27 inches long... cough, cough...

I plead guilty of lying to my fellow runners about the length of my... neck!

happylily

I plead guilty of lying to my fellow runners about the length of my... neck!

Only one way to know for sure. Get your yellow shoes out and take a picture for us. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My neck warmer is for temps below 10 degrees. It is NOT that cold here I promise!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh, boy.  Hope it's a backwind.

Damaris

happylily

The Weather Network shows 16 mph winds. It doesn't sound too terrible...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The Weather Network shows 16 mph winds. It doesn't sound too terrible...

This one has 16mph winds.  It's the gusts that are 30+mph.

Damaris

RSX

This one has 16mph winds.  It's the gusts that are 30+mph.

I think 20+ mph can be annoying. I ran a half last year with 30+

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

16 mph is 25 kmh. The course mostly points NNE, with some sections (Qboro Bridge, the Bronx, Central Park South) going NNW. So the wind will be primarily 3/4 crosswind, not favourable, and for smaller parts directly in the face. It will only be tailwind coming down on 5th Ave.

oh boy

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

I ran Niagara Falls Marathon last year with weaker wind mostly in the face all the way (the course is point to point going NW), it was very annoying. My worst marathon showing so far.