Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Don't Own The Road, We Borrow It A Few Miles At A Time! (Read 174 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I have another spot on my lung that wasn't there 3 months ago.

Mitch, I am very sorry to hear this.  Hope it turns out to be benign and nothing to worry about.

You post about this anytime, buddy!  It is scary not knowing and once you have been through this.... well, I think the biggest fear for we cancer survivors is recurrence.  No one ever wants to go through all that again!  Or put their family all through it again, either, it is sometimes just as hard for them too, they are living this with you.  Sucks for everyone.  Well, Mitch, you know the drill, you just have to do what you need to do and get it done!  And try to keep a positive attitude through it all and keep on fighting...that part is pretty darn hard too sometimes, especially when it seems like just when you're making such great progress, something happens again.  But you can do this, Mitch!  I believe in you and I believe it is all going to come out okay for you.  Stay strong!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Mitch, sorry to hear that.  Wishing you the best.

Damaris

Philliefan33

Sending you good vibes, Mitch.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hello, Penguins!!  Well, I sang with the quartet last night, and it went really well.  I lost my place a few times, which is unusual for me, but I guess it's from singing with new voices?  Anyway, there weren't too many fumbles, and they said they'd be glad if I joined them!  So my DH is ok with it, but I'd like to talk to my chorus director before I commit.  I also want to listen to the recordings I made last night and see how I think the balance is.  But at least the audition went well!!
          Swimming this afternoon, then chorus tonight.  Woo-hoo!

Gustav -- I'm betting duck tape would do the trick for the iPad ...

Kristi -- woo-hoo for extra sleep!!

Jerryb -- enjoy your pre-rain run!!

awood -- woo-hoo for your 8 miles!!

Jen -- we're having warmer weather too, and I have too much stuff scheduled to run.  Tomorrow!!

Phillie -- iPod fartleks, I love it!!

kristin -- sounds like a good gym workout!!

bin -- enjoy your 6!!

scottydog -- was the Riverwalk overflowing?

hog -- so sorry to hear about your results!!  I'll be praying ...

Docket -- enjoy the crazy amount of running!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

Morning

Mitch - I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. I wish you the best.  Stay strong!

It's nice to wake up to sun shining in my windows after two long days of hard rain/dark gloomy weather.

I'm going to knock out 6-7 when the sun goes down.

Have a great day everyone!   Smile

Don't believe everything you think. 

Jen16226

Hi Penguins...

I see a couple of familiar faces from over at RW, but Tori sent me the link to here the other night and I thought I would come on over since I am now able to start running again on a regular basis since I had pulled my hamstring.

I guess let me re-introduce myself......I am Jen, 43 mom of 2 with 3 bonus kids and 3 furbabies.  I quit smoking last February and decided to take up running as something to keep me from picking up that habit again.....so C25K I did, ran a few 5K's and got hooked and then started dealing with hamstring issues so after the last pull in October, I decided that I needed to just sit out running for a while and properly rehab.......and here I am!

I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Mitch......I am very sorry to read about your news.  Healthy and healing vibes being sent your way.

Scottydawg......does this mean I get to read your pursuit of legs over here now? LOL

TORI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Did you sign up for RNR yet?

Jen

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

Zelanie

Mitch- I'm still thinking it's a shadow or something because you moved or something like that.  You've made such good progress on your running post-op that I like to think your lungs must be pretty healthy.  Well that's my story anyway and I am sticking to it!

I had such a good time on my interval workout last night.  I suppose that means I ran them too easy, but after struggling a bit with last week's workouts I think it was exactly what I needed.  Scotty, you might appreciate this.  I was on the treadmill and realized that I don't usually have enough brain power while I'm running to accurately count to 5, so I needed a way to tell that I had done 5 intervals.  So after my warm up, I got out 5 bits of dog treats from my coat pocket, and move them from one spot to another as I ran to help me count my intervals.

Today I just have 5.5 easy.  The hill workout I posted about actually doesn't come up for about 2 more weeks.  I have never done karaoke, but I think it would be a lot of fun.  I like to sing in Rock Band, anyway.

Gustav- Have fun tonight!  And no Gangnam Style!

Kristi- Sorry about the blister!  I have found that Balega socks work really well for me!

Jerry- Hope your run goes well and you safely avoid rain, ice, and manure!

Awood- Rock on!

Jen2011- Glad you're enjoying the knuckle lights!

Margo- Enjoy the 5 later!

kristin- Glad the knee is feeling good!

bin- Enjoy the easy miles!

Scotty- Sounds like a beautiful day there!

D- Good luck this weekend!  Sounds like an event that's perfect for a marathon maniac!

HsM- Congrats on the audition!

Nightcrawler- Enjoy the run later!

Jen16226- Welcome!  Glad you're able to get back to running!

Singer who runs a smidge

Zelanie, you didn't toss them to the dog?  I've toyed with the idea of doing some running during the day on the gym's indoor track.  But I have no idea how I would keep track of how many laps I'd done.  Indoors means no pockets, so the dog treat idea wouldn't work.  I think it would be easier to run outside and freeze than to figure this out ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

I was at the gym, so no dogs around to beg.

I have heard people say they pack a baggie with one raisin for each indoor lap they want to do.  Each lap, they eat a raisin, and when the bag is empty, they're done.

SheCan

Morning Penguins!

Gustav- have you tried juggling?

KristiRTT- take good care of that blister.  They're such an annoyance.

Jen- glad your night run went well!  ARe there street lights where you run?

Scotty- that's a lot of rain!  At least you're having beautiful weather for tonight's run.

Hog-  Sad  that does sound very scary.   Hopefully they'll get you some answers quickly so know what's going on.

HopesMom- glad the audition went well!  When we went to Disney a few years ago, my DH got me to ride the big coaster with him a number of times.  I was always terrified and in the pictures, he always looks so happy and like he's having a blast.  And I'm hunched and tense with my eyes closed like i'm trying so hard to be elsewhere.

Jen162226- nice to meet you new Jen!  Starting a new healthy lifestyle is hard.  Glad you're back running and didn't restart bad habits!

Zelanie- hehehe@ not being able to count to 5 while running.  That is totally me!  I'm so brain dead while I'm running, so i'm really glad you told that story.  Smart way to do it though!

I'm supposed to do a MLR today, but I'm still motivating myself while drinking coffee.  Also, for some reason, I have a side cramp while just sitting in the chair?  This doesn't usually happen so I'm a little weirded out.  Hog, again,  I'm hoping the best for you.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Oh, but I also have these shorts so I have pockets.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hmm, I'm not sure how many laps I want to do, as I'm running for time right now.  The lack of pockets will cause the most trouble.  I can't just use my Garmin because I'll be doing run/walk intervals, and the intervals are programmed into my Garmin.  I'd thought about rubber bands on one wrist, and then move them to the other wrist on each lap.  But with a 1/9 mile track, that's a heck of a lot of rubber bands ...

Mitch- ill be thinking/praying for you!! I understand your fear, as a radiation therapist I have to watch my patients worry about every scan they get! Keep up your positive attitude, it goes a long way!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Mitch: Best of luck to you.

Awood: We all can sing!!

1 Interval 1 mi 8:00.90 8:00.90 8:01      
                              2 Interval 1 mi 7:34.32 15:35.22 7:35      
                              3 Interval 1 mi 7:34.93 23:10.15 7:35      
                              4 Interval 1 mi 7:24.97 30:35.12 7:25      
                              5 Interval 1 mi 7:18.88 37:54 7:19      
                              6 Interval 1 mi 8:46.67 46:40.67 8:47      
                              7 Interval 0.2 mi 1:35.29 48:15.96 7:57  

This was my tempo run last night. I wanted to be around 7:50 for miles2-5 and I did them without looking at my Garmin so I was just guessing my pace. I was tired!  Look how close miles 2 and 3 are.  Interesting...

Have a good day, Pens.

Jen16226

When I used to walk on the track while my son was at football practice, I would shift over a lane each lap around so I knew how many I did.

Not sure if that is helpful for you, but just an idea.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K